Giving the Remington R51 v2 a chance...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Three reasons...

1) LOVE the looks of this firearm. Reminds me strongly of the CZ82, the P64 and the PPK.

2) The price is right... $239 at Bud's.

3) Remington has moved it's headquarters out of New York to North Carolina, and this firearm is manufacture in Huntsville Alabama.

From Remington
Remington R51 Smoke/Silver

Bud's
Remington Firearms 96234 R51 Single 9mm 3.4 7+1 Gray Polymer Grip Stainless St

Reviews

Chuck Hawks
Remington R51 Pistol 2017

TTAG
Gun Review: Remington R51 Gen 2 - The Truth About Guns

Last edited:
You kind of have to admire Remington having the chutzpah to call it a Gen 2.... the first one was so bad, I'm surprised they just didn't retire the name.

But, it still looks like the kind of gun you'd take off a dead Russian spy.

You kind of have to admire Remington having the chutzpah to call it a Gen 2.... the first one was so bad, I'm surprised they just didn't retire the name.

But, it still looks like the kind of gun you'd take off a dead Russian spy.
Agree on both points...very Makarovian.

90% of corporations would have buried the R51 deep, and then pretended it never existed. That Remington reissued it shows me they really care about their reputation. It gives me hope they can be great again.

P.S. - the 870 DM is spectacular.

It gives me hope they can be great again.

I watched a video review where I guy put 500 + rounds through one and while he had some nice things to say, he was none to impressed by it.

Nutnfancy also had some nice things to say...but was also not impressed.

The nice things were reliability and quality...what he didn't like was subjective...the small scales on the metal frame, and he's not keen on grip safeties.

Last edited:
As far as simplicity, reliability and compact enormous firepower goes, nothing could exceed what I felt with my Ruger Security Six.

I bet it will always go bang every time you squeeze the trigger.

Not always ... that's the problem

RemingtonR51.jpg

Three reasons...

1) LOVE the looks of this firearm. Reminds me strongly of the CZ82, the P64 and the PPK.

3) Remington has moved it's headquarters out of New York to North Carolina, and this firearm is manufacture in Huntsville Alabama.

From Remington

Bud's

Reviews

Chuck Hawks

TTAG
It looks cleaner than the P64 which is itself a very rough copy of the Walther PPK and the CZ82's grip is much more ergonomic. I know I own both........

It's a fuken wheel gun nimrod.
That's why it will go bang every time the trigger is squeezed.

I've put thousands of rounds through my FNX Tactical without a single failure,and I've got 16 rounds of .45 to your six of whatever.

Modern semi autos are as reliable as a wheelgun.

There is a reason that cops don't carry revolvers any longer.

OBTW, the only catastrophic failure I've ever had in a handgun was in an 1873 replica revolver. A failure of the trigger bolt spring (a flat spring) caused the cylinder locking bolt not to engage with the cylinder that, if it had gone unnoticed, could very well have taken off my hand.

Modern semi autos are as reliable as a wheelgun.
Yet we have Remington's offering. I hate semis.

Offering what? The semi auto.
The more likely failure these days is bad ammo,which you'll only find in cheap target rounds.
But you go ahead and keep your head down while I advance on your position when you run dry...and I still have ten rounds left.
On top of that I can replace a magazine just as fast as an experienced wheel gun shooter with a speed loader......and still have 15 to your 6.
It's a losing proposition for you anyway you look at it.

Three reasons...

From Remington

Bud's

Reviews

Chuck Hawks

TTAG
It looks cleaner than the P64 which is itself a very rough copy of the Walther PPK and the CZ82's grip is much more ergonomic. I know I own both........

In 9x18?

As far as simplicity, reliability and compact enormous firepower goes, nothing could exceed what I felt with my Ruger Security Six.

Tried CCing my snubbie .357 a few days ago...it's just too bulky, at least for me, even in winter.

Forum List

Back