Gerber Armbar.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I got that Ontario Rat 1...love it...that AUS8 steel is a dream to sharpen. It is also pictured.

The other mini multi is the Gerber Armbar Drive (she has a sister, the Armbar Cork for those of you that drink more wine than work :tongue: )

I bought it after I lost the extension driver for my Wave. The driver alone was $20 and the Armbar Drive was $31...so I ordered it instead.

The good:

It is small, small enough to fit in a watch pocket.

The bit driver takes standard bits.

The wharncliffe blade is nice.

The striker/bottle cap opener/prybar is handy.

The Bad:

7cr17moV.

The scissors are subpar compared to the Wave.

The awl is not long enough.

The driver doesn't lock...nor do any of the other tools...only the blade has a liner lock.

Would I buy it again?

Probably. Sometimes I need a screwdriver AND pliers at the same time. I'll likely replace the scissors with something else.

For it's size it is a cool little tool...but I'd wait for it to go on sale.

20200401_204644.jpg
20200401_204600(1).jpg

Last edited:
I got that Ontario Rat 1...love it...that AUS8 steel is a dream to sharpen. It is also pictured.

The other mini multi is the Gerber Armbar Drive (she has a sister, the Armbar Cork for those of you that drink more wine than work :tongue: )

I bought it after I lost the extension driver for my Wave. The driver alone was $20 and the Armbar Drive was $31...so I ordered it instead.

The good:

The whafencliff blade is nice.

The Bad:

7cr17moV.

The driver doesn't lock...nor do any of the other tools...only the blade has a liner lock.

Would I buy it again?

Probably. Sometimes I need a screwdriver AND pliers asst the same time. I'll likely replace the scissors with something else.

View attachment 318141View attachment 318142

The knife on the right looks like one a friend gave me a couple of years ago as a gift. Blade was easily sharpened and would cut through what I needed it to. But, the blade pivot hinge would buckle and collapse on me, almost slicing my finger off a few times. And this was what I thought was a minimal amount of forward force. The blade lock would also fail repeatedly so I consigned the knife to light duty use that wouldn't, you know, amputate my finger. Did you find any similar issues?

Still have my Swiss Army Knife manufactured in 1986. The thing is a multi use wonder.

The good:

The whafencliff blade is nice.

The Bad:

7cr17moV.

Would I buy it again?

Probably. Sometimes I need a screwdriver AND pliers asst the same time. I'll likely replace the scissors with something else.

View attachment 318141View attachment 318142

The knife on the right looks like one a friend gave me a couple of years ago as a gift. Blade was easily sharpened and would cut through what I needed it to. But, the blade pivot hinge would buckle and collapse on me, almost slicing my finger off a few times. And this was what I thought was a minimal amount of forward force. The blade lock would also fail repeatedly so I consigned the knife to light duty use that wouldn't, you know, amputate my finger. Did you find any similar issues?

Still have my Swiss Army Knife manufactured in 1986. The thing is a multi use wonder.

I've only had it for a few days...just long enough to dull it somewhat cutting cardboard, rope and tarp canvass and then touching it back up to shaving sharp. This is my first AUS 8 blade...and I have to say my first impression is that it is superior to Buck 420HC, 440C and D2.

The liner lock seems quite solid so far...but I honestly haven't had it long enough to tell much more about it. Thanks for the heads up though...I'll keep an eye on it. :thup:

Knife Center had them for $23 with free shipping...but it looks like they're out now...but this is it in pink for $28.

I read through the whole thing asking, "Is he speaking English?" Glad pictures were attached.

I was expecting something like this when I read the thread title:

maxresdefault.jpg

:lol:
I thought Gerber-baby food, then computers with the drivers and WAVE files. This: 7cr17moV totally screwed me up as did "awl". I read that a couple of times. thinking but, he normally sounds sane. :dunno:

Gerbers good knives. I still have "bolt action Gerber" I have no idea how old but remember carrying it in Japan 1984 and got it before that! I make my knives but do have a few favorite factory folders. The bolt action is one and use it to dress deer, still do. I also carry a Case DR's knife, only one made in carbon steel. I took it apart, decorative fileworked it and put goldlip mother of pearl on it. Also use a Case "whittler"

1585854274652.jpeg

Replaced the Orange Armbar that I lost with a blue one this week and Gerber definitely improved on their initial offering.

The Orange one was a very early edition, only released a month earlier.

The two gripes I had about my original have been addressed.

The scissors easily cut leather thicker than a nickel and while the bit driver still doesn't lock, they have added something like a detent to keep it in the open position.

Much improved. Just needs a pocket clip.

IMG_20230521_110057220.jpg

Cut this piece of leather (cut circled) and used the awl, which is fantastic, to create the holes for stitching.

I wouldn't cut anything like this again...I'm just impressed it would do it...

IMG_20230521_113329222~2.jpg

Three years later, never had an issue with the blade lock.

Still on sale...$20 + $5 shipping

The Cork is $17 + shipping.

It's just a knife isn't it?
And a Rolls Royce is just a car...

So is a Pinto.

Heather Locklear is just a woman.

So is Angela Merkel.

A Kimber is a just a pistol...

So is a Hi-Point.

Are you interested in learning something about them before choosing one...or do you just pick things at random?

Forum List

Back