Gavin Newsom says he won't challenge Biden for the nomination

Perot did as well as he did because he offered a vision the American people very much wanted even if it was pretty fuzzy in definition. The difference between him and Trump, Perot chose to run as an independent which game him a serious handicap to begin with. However, if he hadn't revealed his more crazy side when somebody(ies)--probably politically motivated--threatened him, he might have won the first election.

As an aside, I seriously doubt Perot had the vision, instincts, know how, courage, or skill set of a Donald Trump who laid out a very clear and compelling vision that got him elected in 2016.
Perot did so well in large part by spending huge amounts of money, buying airtime, putting himself in front of the voters. Elections on the national level are incredibly expensive. It’s still shocking he got such a large percentage of the vote.

I disagree with your assessment of Trump.

Perot did so well in large part by spending huge amounts of money, buying airtime, putting himself in front of the voters. Elections on the national level are incredibly expensive. It’s still shocking he got such a large percentage of the vote.

I disagree with your assessment of Trump.
Perot did highly entertaining infomercials instead of ads and, because he was such a charismatic and unusual type of candidate, he got lots of free exposure being invited onto many television shows. And because a large number of people didn't want Bush 41 or Clinton, Perot was extremely appealing. Everybody else came to debates in large entourages in limos and such. Perot scorned bodyguards and showed up in a common sedan with maybe two other people. It made him hugely popular. Until he blew up right after the Democrat convention that year and exposed his crazy side. He withdrew from the race and then got back in later on, but he was not the same. He still got 19% of the vote in the 1992 election. He ran again in 1996 but this time the bloom was off the rose, Dole was not an appealing candidate to those who didn't know him, and Clinton won a second term. He never got a 50% majority in either race. It is possible that if Perot had not wigged out like a crazy person during the 1992 campaign before getting back in, he very well might have been elected. We'll never know.

As for Trump I know you don't agree with me. He annoys, irritates, offends lots of people. But his record as President stands for itself.

And as the most Democrats will elect a Democrat over a Republican regardless of who is more qualified, it is Gavin Newsom's appealing appearance and pleasant personality that makes him the heir apparent if Biden doesn't run. It's a sad day when Americans elect the 'likable' person over the one who will actually do the job well.

Last edited:
And as the most Democrats will elect a Democrat over a Republican regardless of who is more qualified, it is Gavin Newsom's appealing appearance and pleasant personality that makes him the heir apparent if Biden doesn't run. It's a sad day when Americans elect the 'likable' person over the one who will actually do the job well.
Are you really expecting anyone to believe you when you indicate that you'd vote for a better qualified democrat? You're lying your bitch ass off.

Gavin Newsom says he won't challenge Biden for the nomination. As he was pretty much the ONLY viable candidate with any charisma or name recognition the Democrats have for 2024 at this time, I predict that the pressure will intensify to get Biden to say unequivocally that he will not seek re-election.

For what it's worth, Rasmussen polls that have consistently been among the highest if not highest in Biden approval ratings, also conclude that voters don't want Biden, Hillary, Trump either and don't want Pelosi or Mitch to be leaders in the House and Senate.
Democrats are in a sweet spot.

No one could destroy America faster than Biden, but how can you blame someone with dementia like Fetterman?

It would be like trying to blame Hitler who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. How can you blame someone not even at home?

But the kicker is, the DNC owns the voting booths now. So who cares really if American like Biden? Every poll I've seen shows Americans despise him, but they voted for him during the midterms anyway.

Wink, wink.

Gavin Newsom says he won't challenge Biden for the nomination. As he was pretty much the ONLY viable candidate with any charisma or name recognition the Democrats have for 2024 at this time, I predict that the pressure will intensify to get Biden to say unequivocally that he will not seek re-election.

For what it's worth, Rasmussen polls that have consistently been among the highest if not highest in Biden approval ratings, also conclude that voters don't want Biden, Hillary, Trump either and don't want Pelosi or Mitch to be leaders in the House and Senate.

LOL. I think Michael Avenatti will be out of prison in time for 2024.

Perot did highly entertaining infomercials instead of ads and, because he was such a charismatic and unusual type of candidate, he got lots of free exposure being invited onto many television shows. And because a large number of people didn't want Bush 41 or Clinton, Perot was extremely appealing. Everybody else came to debates in large entourages in limos and such. Perot scorned bodyguards and showed up in a common sedan with maybe two other people. It made him hugely popular. Until he blew up right after the Democrat convention that year and exposed his crazy side. He withdrew from the race and then got back in later on, but he was not the same. He still got 19% of the vote in the 1992 election. He ran again in 1996 but this time the bloom was off the rose, Dole was not an appealing candidate to those who didn't know him, and Clinton won a second term. He never got a 50% majority in either race. It is possible that if Perot had not wigged out like a crazy person during the 1992 campaign before getting back in, he very well might have been elected. We'll never know.

As for Trump I know you don't agree with me. He annoys, irritates, offends lots of people. But his record as President stands for itself.

I don't think Perot ever had much chance of actually winning. However, a little less crazy and he might have won some electors, possibly enough to throw the election to the House.

While I agree that most Democrats will elect a Democrat over a Republican regardless of who is more qualified, I also think the opposite is true.

When has personality not played a major role in politics? Americans have been electing representatives based on personality probably since the first elections held. People in general have probably been doing so for as long as there have been elections. It's not always the most likeable candidate: sometimes people don't WANT a likeable candidate; see Trump as the glaring recent example. And to stick with Trump, when it comes to qualifications, part of Trump's appeal was his lack of qualifications to be president. He was the outsider, the one with no political experience. Trump was a businessman running for a position very unlike a business, and more, he was a businessman known as a risk-taker, a gambler, someone willing to take a chance and lose big because he can afford to. Those don't seem like what would usually be considered high qualifications for a president, especially from the more conservative side of the aisle. Even more than Obama, I think Trump won because of personality rather than qualifications.

Forum List

Back