Gasoline Is Becoming Worthless

If electric comes to fruition so be it. Only idiots are really concerned.
The USA has the richest automotive history and culture in the world. Automotive enthusiast are not interested in seeing it get replaced with a bunch of unsexy commie cars. Maybe commies aren't interested in greatness, but there are plenty of people who are.

That is the opinion of Wall St. investors, who think it could be a money loser by 2030.

New research from Morgan Stanley argues that traditional internal combustion engines—the mainstay of automobiles for more than a century—are destined to become money-losers as early as 2030. “We believe the market may be ascribing zero (or even negative?) value for ICE-derived revenues at GM and Ford,” auto analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a Jan. 29 analysis. He lists a variety of factors likely to “transform what were once profit-generating assets into potentially loss-making and cash-burning businesses.”

And more of the story I find interesting:

The investing firm recently surveyed institutional investors on the value of internal-combustion technology at GM and Ford. Seventeen percent said ICE technology had no value or negative value today. Sixty percent rated ICE technology as slightly positive, while 23% said it was a significantly positive value. That’s with electrification technology still in the early innings: total market share for fully electric vehicles is still less than 3%.

Risk in adapting too slowly
But essentially all of the growth in powertrain adoption in coming years will be electric, while ICE powertrains are certain to decline. The risk for automakers isn’t adapting too quickly and getting ahead of the market. It’s adapting too slowly and becoming overly reliant on dying technology consumers may no longer want as electrics get cheaper and range improves. That extends to factory capacity, with ICE assembly lines possibly becoming stranded assets with no market value. It would cost automakers money to disassemble or convert them to valuable use, thus the possibility of negative value

Ok all you freaks wanting to eliminate gas... what is the boating public supposed to do?
what is the private aircraft owners supposed to do?
Then there is the loss of revenue from the gas tax both federal, state and local.
Gas will not be disappearing anytime soon
There is no one alive today that will see gasoline entirely eliminated. I expect fossil fuels to be around a long long time. However, that does not mean they will be the primary fuels used for transportation. People that are actively engage in the developing of alternative energy sources see the transition period lasting many decades. We have been using fossil fuels for well over a hundred years for transportation and it will surely take that long to replace them.

Last edited:
Automobiles and greatness don't equate whatsoever. A car is a heap of metal and bolts and it's a means to an end. No more than that.

Automobiles and greatness don't equate whatsoever. A car is a heap of metal and bolts and it's a means to an end. No more than that.
Commies cannot conceive greatness. Just because you cannot conceive greatness, doesn't mean the greatness isn't there.

When commies look up into the sky, they see stars. When I look into the sky, I see the same stars that you do, but I can also see into the heavens. All commies see are the stars.

Racing will be with hybrids up to 2030. Full electric is where the future is. And investments are pushing it. Out with the old and in with the new. Carbon neutral by 2050.

If electric cars are so great why is there not a single competitor in endurance racing?
Not yet, as in full electric. FIA WEC and IMSA hypercar LMDh hybrids for next season.

Hybrids have been running in F1 for years now. And they are great. I love hybrids. Full EV's are a non starter. You won't be seeing pure EV's in endurance racing forever at the current rate of technology increase.
In Formula E racing when they do a pit stop because their battery is low they actually change cars
Haven't watched in a year or two so Im not sure if they still do it. but that is how they started

Racing will be with hybrids up to 2030. Full electric is where the future is. And investments are pushing it. Out with the old and in with the new. Carbon neutral by 2050.

If electric cars are so great why is there not a single competitor in endurance racing?
Not yet, as in full electric. FIA WEC and IMSA hypercar LMDh hybrids for next season.

Hybrids have been running in F1 for years now. And they are great. I love hybrids. Full EV's are a non starter. You won't be seeing pure EV's in endurance racing forever at the current rate of technology increase.
In Formula E racing when they do a pit stop because their battery is low they actually change cars
Haven't watched in a year or two so Im not sure if they still do it. but that is how they started

That's how they still do it. The race itself is also only about 3/5 the distance of an F1 race, and they are about 30% slower.

Maybe to you. But to people like me good cars have a soul. There is no better feeling to me than mashing through the gears in my GT40 at speed, taking the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, or flogging my friends M3 around the Nordscleife.

That is the opinion of Wall St. investors, who think it could be a money loser by 2030.

New research from Morgan Stanley argues that traditional internal combustion engines—the mainstay of automobiles for more than a century—are destined to become money-losers as early as 2030. “We believe the market may be ascribing zero (or even negative?) value for ICE-derived revenues at GM and Ford,” auto analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a Jan. 29 analysis. He lists a variety of factors likely to “transform what were once profit-generating assets into potentially loss-making and cash-burning businesses.”

The investing firm recently surveyed institutional investors on the value of internal-combustion technology at GM and Ford. Seventeen percent said ICE technology had no value or negative value today. Sixty percent rated ICE technology as slightly positive, while 23% said it was a significantly positive value. That’s with electrification technology still in the early innings: total market share for fully electric vehicles is still less than 3%.

But essentially all of the growth in powertrain adoption in coming years will be electric, while ICE powertrains are certain to decline. The risk for automakers isn’t adapting too quickly and getting ahead of the market. It’s adapting too slowly and becoming overly reliant on dying technology consumers may no longer want as electrics get cheaper and range improves. That extends to factory capacity, with ICE assembly lines possibly becoming stranded assets with no market value. It would cost automakers money to disassemble or convert them to valuable use, thus the possibility of negative value

I would say that this claim is ridiculous.

But as it relates to the fashionable claims about Tesla, and electric cars, the news isn't all that good for those who care to read up.

There are massive subsidies that keep Tesla afloat.

To clarify I am referring exclusively to subsidies that directly go to the profits of the company. A research grant, can't be used as profit. It has to be spent on the research the grant is for.

For example, the $7,000 Federal Subsidy for buying an electric vehicle.

That subsidy is now gone as of the end of 2020. Will people continue buying Tesla's at the same rate, when the subsidy is not there?

That's a question that is difficult to answer.

Moreover, as this article points out, Tesla is at the benefit of a government scheme.
Eleven states require automakers sell a certain percentage of zero-emissions vehicles by 2025. If they can't, the automakers have to buy regulatory credits from another automaker that meets those requirements -- such as Tesla, which exclusively sells electric cars.​
It's a lucrative business for Tesla -- bringing in $3.3 billion over the course of the last five years, nearly half of that in 2020 alone. The $1.6 billion in regulatory credits it received last year far outweighed Tesla's net income of $721 million -- meaning Tesla would have otherwise posted a net loss in 2020.​

So just to repeat, without those government subsidies, Tesla would have posted a net loss last year.

And here's the kicker. All of those credits that Tesla depend on, are going to disappear. Every car maker is going to produce just enough EVs to dodge the government credit, which will doom Tesla. And then it will end up wrecking the entire EV market.

If the automaker can't sell a percentage of zero-emission vehicles, they have to buy a credit for one that can. What if all the other companies can't either? Then system falls apart.

Further, we've seen this throughout the world.

Norway exempts EVs from the 25% VAT tax, which on a $40,000 would be $10,000 in taxes. Norway was planning to phase out the exemption.

Will people continue to buy EVs in Norway, at the same rate, when they now have to pay $10,000 or more, for the same car?

Similarly, China also was had a 5-year subsidy for EVs, that started in 2016. The government has openly said that part of the reason they are considering phasing out the subsidy, is because firms are utterly dependent on it.

Germany has already ended their largest subsidy in 2018, but still has a smaller subsidy running of about $4,000 on the purchase of specific EV models.

The the basic problem is, all of these are costing the government money, and unless you missed the memo, most governments are in massive debt.

Either the subsidies for EVs will all be phased out, or the government will have to cut education and health care funding. Which do you think will happen?

Similarly, states like California that still have state level subsidies, will also have the same problem. I think we already know that California is already in budget problems as is.

So while the big boom in EVs has clearly taken place, I am still highly skeptical that in the long run that it is sustainable as a replacement for gasoline cars.

Some how I do not believe you even know how to drive a car with manual transmission, More likely you use public transportation or ride a bicycle

Ok all you freaks wanting to eliminate gas... what is the boating public supposed to do?
Then there is the loss of revenue from the gas tax both federal, state and local.
There is no one alive today that will see gasoline entirely eliminated. I expect fossil fuels to be around a long long time. However, that does not mean they will be the primary fuels used for transportation. People that are actively engage in the developing of alternative energy sources see the transition period lasting many decades. We have been using fossil fuels for well over a hundred years for transportation and it will surely take that long to replace them.

Fossil fuels aren't going anywhere, but the future investments will not be in drilling for oil, it will be in developing green energy, especially in the automobile industry, which is transitioning to all electric, something that oil companies have crushed for the past 30 years.

(A great example of this is "Who Killed The Electric Car" from 2006, watch it for an example of how they've squashed any attempt at EV's) but the rest of the world is forging ahead, and Tesla has opened the door they held shut. Times, they are a changin'.

Of course, this is going to take 15 years to be fully operational, and many of us will be dead by then, but the future is in EV's for not only automobiles but in delivery vehicles as well. Amazon is going all EV right now, Rivian is currently building their all electric fleet as I type this. It's going to happen, and I'm heavily invested in it. 2020., as bad a year as its been, has been the best year of my life financially in over 20 years of investing, all because of emerging EV technology.

Remember the joy of the open road.

Fossil fuels aren't going anywhere, but the future investments will not be in drilling for oil, it will be in developing green energy, especially in the automobile industry, which is transitioning to all electric, something that oil companies have crushed for the past 30 years.

(A great example of this is "Who Killed The Electric Car" from 2006, watch it for an example of how they've squashed any attempt at EV's) but the rest of the world is forging ahead, and Tesla has opened the door they held shut. Times, they are a changin'.

Of course, this is going to take 15 years to be fully operational, and many of us will be dead by then, but the future is in EV's for not only automobiles but in delivery vehicles as well. Amazon is going all EV right now, Rivian is currently building their all electric fleet as I type this. It's going to happen, and I'm heavily invested in it. 2020., as bad a year as its been, has been the best year of my life financially in over 20 years of investing, all because of emerging EV technology.
For half a century, auto makers sold Americans on the adventure of the open road with the wind in your hair and 260 horses at your command, adventure awaits you.

1612570903029.png

The Dream

1612570952901.png

The Reality

Answer me this,,,,,, Biden says will put up 550,000 EV Charging Stations. Now will these be free to use or is the driver going to have to pay for this service? It is bad enough that the American taxpayer is on the hook for these charging stations. Now with the entry of the electric car, what will make up the loss of revenue from the gas tax both Federal, State and local? The federal government charges a tax of 18.4 cents on every gallon of gasoline and 24.4 cents on every gallon of diesel. In 2019, about 142.71 billion gallons (or about 3.40 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, In 2019, distillate fuel (essentially diesel fuel) consumption by the U.S. transportation sector was about 47.2 billion gallons (1.1 billion barrels). Do the math that would be a hell of a revenue drop that would have to be made up for.

Libs are going to need to dream up a new way of taxing drivers. All that gasoline tax will dry up.

I actually just purchased a 21 f150. She's a beauty. At 89 I don't drive that much but wanted something to drive around my hunting land. It's a truck though not a person.

Remember the joy of the open road.

For half a century, auto makers sold Americans on the adventure of the open road with the wind in your hair and 260 horses at your command, adventure awaits you.

View attachment 453617

The Dream

View attachment 453618

The Reality
The reality won't change, even if every last car is electric, as long as the electricty that charges them is produced with the same fuel that non EVs have been using. Also, nobody can tell us where the electric will come from if we were to get to a future of all electric vehicles.

Answer me this,,,,,, Biden says will put up 550,000 EV Charging Stations. Now will these be free to use or is the driver going to have to pay for this service? It is bad enough that the American taxpayer is on the hook for these charging stations. Now with the entry of the electric car, what will make up the loss of revenue from the gas tax both Federal, State and local? The federal government charges a tax of 18.4 cents on every gallon of gasoline and 24.4 cents on every gallon of diesel. In 2019, about 142.71 billion gallons (or about 3.40 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, In 2019, distillate fuel (essentially diesel fuel) consumption by the U.S. transportation sector was about 47.2 billion gallons (1.1 billion barrels). Do the math that would be a hell of a revenue drop that would have to be made up for.

Keep in mind that when the government puts in charging stations, they put in stations that are already obsolete. They charge an EV, but they do it at a snail pace.

Biden's plan to put 550,000 charging stations in the country would cost about 5 billion dollars. My guess is that 5 billion dollars will be grants available to businesses, local and state government, and other organization that would install charging stations. Cost of maintaining them and cost of electricity would be born by the user as is done today. The purpose of this plan is to overcome one of the major obstacles in selling EVs, convenient charging stations. I saw a survey done not long ago that revealed 70% of adult drivers do not have an easy way of charging vehicles at their place of residence. That makes convenient charging stations a must for most drivers. The new EVs with long ranges doesn't mean much to drivers if they can't easily find charging stations on longer trips.

Last edited:
In with the old technology you mean

Maybe to you. But to people like me good cars have a soul. There is no better feeling to me than mashing through the gears in my GT40 at speed, taking the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, or flogging my friends M3 around the Nordscleife.

I bet you’d like to charge up and down the German autobahn, on which there is no mandatory speed limit.

Forum List

Back