Is All Electric Vehicle Future Possible?

EvMetro

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2017
If we could come up with enough lithium and copper to build that many EVs, where exactly would the electricity come from? I'm not looking for a generic wind, solar, or renewable answer without any plausible explanation of how this would work, I want to see a plausible concept. If you think windmills or solar panels would work, give a succinct summary of how many windmills or panels and acres would be needed to charge so many cars. Show a plausible source of power to charge all those EVs.

If we could come up with enough lithium and copper to build that many EVs, where exactly would the electricity come from? I'm not looking for a generic wind, solar, or renewable answer without any plausible explanation of how this would work, I want to see a plausible concept. If you think windmills or solar panels would work, give a succinct summary of how many windmills or panels and acres would be needed to charge so many cars. Show a plausible source of power to charge all those EVs.
Dont expect an intelligent response from the Greenies

they hate all forms of energy except pure sunlight

But unfortunately for them the Lost Secrets of Atlantis as they pertain to ”free” energy from the sun are still lost or incomplete

By the time we are looking at all electric cars new technology will surely be developed.

An all electric economy is possible but there is no way it will be done with so called renewable power alone. If the goal is 100% emission free energy then we will have to have nuclear power as the largest share of power production.

Last edited:
The only way for an all-electric transportation system to be even remotely feasible is to go Nuclear.

In addition, the entire infrastructure of power distribution and road system would have to be overhauled or replaced.

"Vehicle" has become a very flexible term. To use the term human transportation might be better for this discussion, and probably what we mean is personal transportation. This could certainly be done without petroleum being used for fuel. Of course, two ton behemoths that accelerate to 100 kph in three seconds won't be part of the mix, most likely, but we should be talking about realistic, not ridiculous.

Thinking from the past blocks solutions for now and the future.

By the time we are looking at all electric cars new technology will surely be developed.
People are looking at this idea right now. None of them have any idea where the electricity will come from. D you have any idea where it will come from?

"Vehicle" has become a very flexible term. To use the term human transportation might be better for this discussion, and probably what we mean is personal transportation. This could certainly be done without petroleum being used for fuel. Of course, two ton behemoths that accelerate to 100 kph in three seconds won't be part of the mix, most likely, but we should be talking about realistic, not ridiculous.
I think you are moving in the right direction, but let me help you finish. There won't actually be enough electricity, but there will be fewer cars. Our freedom to own fast fun cars will be infringed, our freedom to take cross country vacations in our fast and fun cars will be infringed upon, and the number of fast fun cars we can own will be infringed upon. Our automobile culture will be reduced to what shithole authoritarian countries have.

In the UK, one third of motorists would not be able to charge from home. Also, we've had the coldest January in the last decade, many days -5c and below. Plus, we are a nation of caravaners.

So as the government marches on to ban the sale of new ICE's in 2030, and the industry has to overcome EV charging, battery length for heating and towing with technology with the government magically sorting out the national grid; I can see them saying as we get vlose to the deadline, "Erm, we'll have to extend our plans by 10 years" etc...

It took over 100 years to get where we are with ICE's, it 's not going to morph into an EV culture in 10, 20 or 30 years. The physical set up of buildings and roads in the UK excludes millions.

Those on here who are wholeheartedly in favour of EV's and get angry at everyone else screaming, "EV denier", live in a lifestyle and physical surroundings where an EV will fit in. But quite a few million in the UK just doesn't see it that way.

Solar panels are not really efficient the further North in the UK and wind turbines have a relative short lifespan making electric expensive.

Historically, Americans have always been highly inventive and creative.
Guess those days are over.

People are looking at this idea right now. None of them have any idea where the electricity will come from. D you have any idea where it will come from?
I answered that.

I answered that.
Actually, you claimed that by the time we are looking at all electric cars, some new technology will have been developed that would make this pipe dream possible. That time is now, so where is this technology?

There will be the vehicles that the renewable energy available will power. The two will go together. By tying our hands with the limitations of present vehicle preferences, we will get nowhere.

There will be the vehicles that the renewable energy available will power. The two will go together. By tying our hands with the limitations of present vehicle preferences, we will get nowhere.
I'm glad to see that you understand that a future of all vehicles being electric is a lefty pipe dream.

There will be the vehicles that the renewable energy available will power.

It's not exactly on-topic but I want to say that when we know how much big and great is the motors production, I doubt the gas car will leave this world anytime.

It's not exactly on-topic but I want to say that when we know how much big and great is the motors production, I doubt the gas car will leave this world anytime.
Vested interests often hold back progress.

Forum List

Back