Garmin GPSMAP 64SX

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
Anyone have one?
At $350 bucks I'm finding it clunky. I havent had a chance yet to take it to the woods but it seems overly complicated with a bunch of crap I dont need.
Anyone have a good suggestion that has easy way point settings and not the nearest McDonalds?

I play around with the GPS on my cell phone. There's an open source app that appears useful to me.
I am not going to pay $300+ for proprietary locked-down crap which in reality is no better than that included on every cellphone — even if you don't have a SIM or a service plan for it.

I play around with the GPS on my cell phone. There's an open source app that appears useful to me.
I am not going to pay $300+ for proprietary locked-down crap which in reality is no better than that included on every cellphone — even if you don't have a SIM or a service plan for it.

I'm roaming around 6k acres on nothing but trails...in the dark.
I want to go back to fishing spots at night and roam the property.
I've used google earth and it works okay but it doesnt offer way points.
It's easy as hell to get lost on this place and we have. By the time you figure out you passed your turn you've passed several of them.

Last edited:
Anyone have one?
At $350 bucks I'm finding it clunky. I havent had a chance yet to take it to the woods but it seems overly complicated with a bunch of crap I dont need.
Anyone have a good suggestion that has easy way point settings and not the nearest McDonalds?
Since Garman became a foreign owned concern, Indian maybe, they haven't been worth a shit IMHO, especially their software. They update it to fix one thing and they break something else. Garmin was founded by a couple of avionics types from King Radio in Othelia Kansas but after they sold out it went to shit. The one I got for my wifes car takes forever to lock on but it didn't start out that way. They screwed it up when they fixed the backup camera and it hasnt been right since. It takes forever to lock then after it's been searching for a while and trying to pull it's head out of its ass, it fashes a message that says it's having a hard time and asks if you want it to keep trying. Now I ask you, what fucking good is it if it isn't locked and tracking satellites? The same minds that ask that kind of a stupid question is doing their programming these days.
The Numi in my truck gets it's head up its ass at least once a trip and freezes the map display. It won't get itself right until you take it off of external power and reboot it. It's had that problem for 6 or 7 years now and they've never fixed it. It's an obvious software bug. I told them about it years ago but they obviously don't give a shit.
I also have an old old 12XL that functions as it should and I'm not about to let those dumb fuckups get anywhere near it.

Last edited:

It's easy as hell to get lost on this place and we have. By the time you figure out you passed your turn you've passed several of them.
I'm old school, I'd go with glow paint to mark the turns.

You do that on this place and you'd be confused in an hour.
It's just too damn big for that method.
Trails run all over the place and they all look a like at night.

Like the radium girls who painted watch dials? They tell a lot of stories.
I am highly skeptical that the "girls" were getting sick and dying of radiation poisoning from painting watch faces, while a man could wear it on his wrist without ill effects.

To clarify....you might want to hit five different spots in a single night and they can be over two miles away.
Markers just dont work in those situations......especially after several beers.

Forum List

Back