Game of the year so far. Cowboys v 49ers. What's your prediction?

I didn't realize how freaking good SF is at every phase of the game. I'm not a fan of either team but Dallas is solid, they just got steam rolled by a phenomenal all around effort. That being said, I agree with you that Purdy would succeed on any team with a good O line because he is really smart and always seems to make the right split second decisions. His arm is strong enough and very accurate. The game isn't about 70 yard bombs it's about hitting receivers in small windows and nobody is better than Purdy at that.
“The game isn't about 70 yard bombs it's about hitting receivers in small windows and nobody is better than Purdy at that.”

Exactly.

I think scouts are way too biased toward physical traits and an arm. We rarely see quarterbacks launch it 70 yards effectively. Playing quarterback effectively is about way more than that and Purdy has proven that he has it.

I didn’t say he’s as talented as Mahomes or Herbert. YOU said he would be “lost” playing for one of those teams. I don’t think he would be lost at all. I think he can play wherever you put him.

What makes you think he can’t put a team on his back and win? For that matter, who do you think CAN do that? Herbert? Hurts? Cousins? Dak?

Spell out your criteria for that because I want to know what specifically causes you to think that. This guy has only won every single game he has played, leads the league in passer rating and QBR, has the second highest yards per attempt last time I checked, and has simply done everything that he has been asked to do. What makes you think he’s a second tier guy as far as leading a team to victory? Explain that please. Who exactly can put a team on their back and why can’t Purdy?
4 years ago they went to the SB. 2 years ago they were 3 points from going back. With essentially the same team minus McCaffery (a big fucking minus) and Jimmy G as the QB. Hows he been outside Shannahans system? Why is anyone surprised they are a really good team having added a MVP candidate RB and another Jimmy G minus the bozo gene?

4 years ago they went to the SB. 2 years ago they were 3 points from going back. With essentially the same team minus McCaffery (a big fucking minus) and Jimmy G as the QB. Hows he been outside Shannahans system? Why is anyone surprised they are a really good team having added a MVP candidate RB and another Jimmy G minus the bozo gene?
I already said that Jimmy Average was clearly the weak point on the team. It was obvious to anyone who watched him play. Hence why they kept trying to get rid of him.

Jimmy G's flaws are easy to spot if you watch his games. Dak's flaws are easy to spot if you watch his games. Kaep's flaws were easy to spot if you watched him play. I still don't see flaws in Purdy's game. I've been waiting for teams to expose something about him and make him look like a 7th round scrub. They haven't done it. He's hands-down better than Jimmy G and it's not even close.

He's the best QB we've had since Steve Young.

Last edited:
They're defense has gotten better too. They beat the crap out of the Cowboys on every snap.

I started being a Cowboy fan when I was in diapers. I watched the first two NFC championship games without knowing what a football game was. I was hooked.

Now, I call myself a "recovering" fan. I quite pro football altogether. To much drama, waaaaaay too much money......and truly lousy role models in many instances.

But my wife will turn on the TV on Monday night and say "Hey, it's the Cowboys". And I am thinking "just great". Cause I'm gonna have to watch....can't help it.

I was actually able to call a lot of the plays (prior) when Landry was winding down. That is how predictable he had become. But I hated the way it happened.

Hated Jerry Jones from the start. But two super-bowls and I loved Jimmy Johnson.

Then Jones fires him.......How stupid can you be.

And then he hires Barry Switzer who makes it on the strength of Jone's coaching and personell, to one more......

Then it folds. And Jones hires homeless people off the streets. Until Parcels....oh so close.

Garrett was kept on for way way way way to long.

And I think I don't care.......
Similar story. I live in the Dallas area and was a nut about them in the Landry days. Furniture got broken when Roger or Danny White lost a game. Me and a buddy went to most of the home games - we couldn't afford tickets so we'd hang around outside until the game started and buy tickets off the scalpers at highly reduced prices. Good times.

But then that fucking hillbilly from Ark showed up and I weaned off them as the decades of mediocrity droned on. When they got BLM and all that other woke shit it was easy to completely write them off. Dak is probably the nicest guy in the league but he's not a 1st string QB. Not even close. I wish the Boys well.... they don't need me.... and I don't need them.

Similar story. I live in the Dallas area and was a nut about them in the Landry days. Furniture got broken when Roger or Danny White lost a game. Me and a buddy went to most of the home games - we couldn't afford tickets so we'd hang around outside until the game started and buy tickets off the scalpers at highly reduced prices. Good times.

But then that fucking hillbilly from Ark showed up and I weaned off them as the decades of mediocrity droned on. When they got BLM and all that other woke shit it was easy to completely write them off. Dak is probably the nicest guy in the league but he's not a 1st string QB. Not even close. I wish the Boys well.... they don't need me.... and I don't need them.

My wife's favorite story is that I was watching a Monday night game and something great happened.....

I jumped way up.....right into a ceiling fan that was on high speed. I recall the first "whap" in the back of the head and had that dawning moment of comprehension that I was going to get his a whole bunch more. I went to the ground and my wife was doubled over with laughter.

LOL.... He has NEVER lost a game he started and finished.
What is that supposed to prove. You do realize that SF roster is ridiculously loaded. They have 8 guys on the ESPN top 100 list.

It's crazy.

Steelers
Rams
Giants
Cardinals
Cowboys

The only team on there that was even supposed to be good was the Cowboys who always disappoint. They shouldn't lose any of those games. And at no point in any of those games did SF need him to cape up and win them the game. He's not that guy AND THEY DONT NEED HIM OR WANT HIM TO BE. He's in a great situation. On a loaded team with playmakers all over the roster on both sides of the ball and in a system that makes most QB's look fantastic. He just needs to not make stupid throws and turn the ball over. Bully for him. Brock Purdy is a perfect fit for Shanahan and as long as he understands that and doesn't demand a crazy amount of money which would keep SF from getting rid of a bunch of those playmakers around him he will continue to be successful.

Just some rough numbers.

Purdy makes less than 1 million a year.

SF has 3,7m in cap space next year.

If Purdy just makes Jimmy G money (24m a year) they have to come up with 23million in cap room to sign him. If he gets Dak Prescott money (40 million a year) that's 39 million in cap space they have to free up. So who are you dropping from the roster to make that work? 39 million is more than McCaffery and Kittle make combined. Is Purdy making up that kind of production with an average RB and TE?

What is that supposed to prove. You do realize that SF roster is ridiculously loaded. They have 8 guys on the ESPN top 100 list.

It's crazy.

Steelers
Rams
Giants
Cardinals
Cowboys

The only team on there that was even supposed to be good was the Cowboys who always disappoint. They shouldn't lose any of those games. And at no point in any of those games did SF need him to cape up and win them the game. He's not that guy AND THEY DONT NEED HIM OR WANT HIM TO BE. He's in a great situation. On a loaded team with playmakers all over the roster on both sides of the ball and in a system that makes most QB's look fantastic. He just needs to not make stupid throws and turn the ball over. Bully for him. Brock Purdy is a perfect fit for Shanahan and as long as he understands that and doesn't demand a crazy amount of money which would keep SF from getting rid of a bunch of those playmakers around him he will continue to be successful.

Just some rough numbers.

Purdy makes less than 1 million a year.

SF has 3,7m in cap space next year.

If Purdy just makes Jimmy G money (24m a year) they have to come up with 23million in cap room to sign him. If he gets Dak Prescott money (40 million a year) that's 39 million in cap space they have to free up. So who are you dropping from the roster to make that work? 39 million is more than McCaffery and Kittle make combined. Is Purdy making up that kind of production with an average RB and TE?

Montana also had a stacked team. Does that make Montana any less good?

Have you even watched Purdy play?

What exactly do you mean by “cape up”? Be specific. You keep saying that he can’t lead the team to victory and I I honestly have no idea how you’re coming to this conclusion.

I think you’re biased against him because he’s under-sized, from a small school, the last pick in the draft, and has a quiet personality. You know, all that bullshit that doesn’t actually mean anything. It sure as hell has nothing to do with any objective metrics.

Would you rather have Brock Purdy or Dak leading your team?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231010_162537_Chrome.jpg

As much as I criticize Dak, I have this feeling he's not going to screw it up this time and Dallas wins 27-25. What say you?
Boy were you wrong. I think you were going off HOPE not thinking. At least now, the 49rs now seem unbeatable. Eagles are undefeated but they don't seem as unbeatable as the 49rs.

The Pat McAfee show just said they don't think Dallas will make the playoffs. Boy will heads roll if that happens. Before the 49r game I would have said for sure Dallas would make the playoffs. Even if only as a wildcard team. But now I'm not so sure.

Philly will win their division. Dallas is 3 and 2. They always have a weak enough schedule that they make the playoffs. Who are they playing the rest of the year?

Chargers Win
Rams Win
Eagles Loss
Giants Win
Panthers Win
Washington Win
Seattle Loss
Eagles Loss
Bills Loss
Dolphins Loss
Lions Loss
Washington Win

9 wins and 8 losses. Will that make the playoffs this year?

One other thing. They say only a handful of teams usually have a shot at winning it all. And yo ucan tell who those teams are. Who are they?

Kansas City, Philly, SF, Detroit, Miami, Seattle?

Boy were you wrong. I think you were going off HOPE not thinking. At least now, the 49rs now seem unbeatable. Eagles are undefeated but they don't seem as unbeatable as the 49rs.

The Pat McAfee show just said they don't think Dallas will make the playoffs. Boy will heads roll if that happens. Before the 49r game I would have said for sure Dallas would make the playoffs. Even if only as a wildcard team. But now I'm not so sure.

Philly will win their division. Dallas is 3 and 2. They always have a weak enough schedule that they make the playoffs. Who are they playing the rest of the year?

Chargers Win
Rams Win
Eagles Loss
Giants Win
Panthers Win
Washington Win
Seattle Loss
Eagles Loss
Bills Loss
Dolphins Loss
Lions Loss
Washington Win

9 wins and 8 losses. Will that make the playoffs this year?

Interesting that you're giving them the win over the Chargers. I dont think that's a lock by any stretch. I also wouldn't be surprised if they split with both Washington and Philly. Those are divisional games.

One other thing. They say only a handful of teams usually have a shot at winning it all. And yo ucan tell who those teams are. Who are they?

Kansas City, Philly, SF, Detroit, Miami, Seattle?

Im not sold on Detroit or Miami. Miami has beat up terrible teams but were clown stomped by the only good team they've played all year. The Lions are the Lions.....

The Bills should be on your list.

You know who else had the highest QB rating for the year?

Tony Romo
Ryan Tannehill
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Jimmy G with SF btw
Carson Palmer (Cardinals edition)
NIck Foles

etc etc

No one has said Purdy isnt a good QB. In fact I've in this thread he's a very good QB. But the idea that the amount of talent around him and the system he plays in doesn't effect how good he looks is insane. Did you watch the Cowboys game? He threw 3-4 wide open TD's. Like there wasnt a defender within 2 yds of the receiver wide open. He has the #1 Defense. He has the #1 RB. He has the the #2 TE. He has 2 elite WR's in Deebo and Aiyuk. He has one of the best Olines in the NFL. And a genius Offensive mind calling his plays. He rarely gets past his first read.

Here let's play a game odanny XponentialChaos

You're the GM of the 49rs. The NFL has for some reason suspended the salary cap, and also voided the contracts of every QB in the league and placed them in the draft.

SF has the first pick. Who are you taking? Is it Purdy?
What if they had the 2nd pick?
3rd?
4th?
5th?
6th?
7th?

How many QBs do you think get selected before Brock Purdy in this situation?

Im guessing

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Tua
Hurts
Jackson
Herbert
Lawrence

At a minimum those guys go before Purdy. You have to wonder what CJ Stroud or Bryce Young would be able to do with the SF talent and Shanahan calling their plays.

Again Brock Purdy is a good QB. But he's a system QB. He's average and doesnt make many mistakes. That's good enough in that system with the talent SF has.

You know who else had the highest QB rating for the year?

Tony Romo
Ryan Tannehill
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Jimmy G with SF btw
Carson Palmer (Cardinals edition)
NIck Foles

etc etc
That's ridiculous. Let me know what years you're using for these guys and I'll be happy to compare their stats with you to blow up this retarded comparison.

No one has said Purdy isnt a good QB. In fact I've in this thread he's a very good QB. But the idea that the amount of talent around him and the system he plays in doesn't effect how good he looks is insane.
Joe Montana had a lot of talent around him. So did Troy Aikman. Were they system quarterbacks or were they just good?

Here let's play a game odanny XponentialChaos

You're the GM of the 49rs. The NFL has for some reason suspended the salary cap, and also voided the contracts of every QB in the league and placed them in the draft.

SF has the first pick. Who are you taking? Is it Purdy?
What if they had the 2nd pick?
3rd?
4th?
5th?
6th?
7th?

How many QBs do you think get selected before Brock Purdy in this situation?

Im guessing

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Tua
Hurts
Jackson
Herbert
Lawrence

At a minimum those guys go before Purdy. You have to wonder what CJ Stroud or Bryce Young would be able to do with the SF talent and Shanahan calling their plays.
Purdy would definitely be inside my top 10. I would also consider age and I would want a guy who can be good for a long time.

That's ridiculous. Let me know what years you're using for these guys and I'll be happy to compare their stats with you to blow up this retarded comparison.
It’s all in the last 10 years champ. Those guys lead the league in QB rating for the entire year. ESPN has the stats.
Joe Montana had a lot of talent around him. So did Troy Aikman. Were they system quarterbacks or were they just good?
Ypure comparing Purdy who’s never played in a SB to guys who have multiple rings.

But to your point. Aikman definitely benefited from the talent around him. Dallas won because of their Oline and Emmit Smith. Not Troy.

Purdy would definitely be inside my top 10. I would also consider age and I would want a guy who can be good for a long time.
So who are you leaving off that list? Which if those QBs would make the 9rs worse?

It’s all in the last 10 years champ. Those guys lead the league in QB rating for the entire year. ESPN has the stats.
Jimmy G played 6 games in 2017. He had a passer rating of 60.4. 7 touchdowns, 5 interceptions. 8.76 yards per attempt.

This year Purdy has played 5 games. He has a passer rating of 123.1. 9 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. 9.35 yards per attempt.

That's what you're trying to compare? lmao

Do you really need me to go down the list and explain to you why Brock Purdy's statistics show that he is playing better than Ryan Fitzpatrick or Jimmy G??? Stupid fucking argument.

Ypure comparing Purdy who’s never played in a SB to guys who have multiple rings.
But to your point. Aikman definitely benefited from the talent around him. Dallas won because of their Oline and Emmit Smith. Not Troy.
Was Aikman an excellent quarterback or did he only win because of the system and the talent around him? What about Montana?

You understand that a good quarterback can exist in a good system, right?
So who are you leaving off that list? Which if those QBs would make the 9rs worse?
Tua and Hurts for sure. Probably not a popular opinion, but that's my take since you asked. For the others I would need to heavily consider age of the others and I'd probably knock a few more off the list.

Montana also had a stacked team. Does that make Montana any less good?

Have you even watched Purdy play?

What exactly do you mean by “cape up”? Be specific. You keep saying that he can’t lead the team to victory and I I honestly have no idea how you’re coming to this conclusion.

I think you’re biased against him because he’s under-sized, from a small school, the last pick in the draft, and has a quiet personality. You know, all that bullshit that doesn’t actually mean anything. It sure as hell has nothing to do with any objective metrics.

Would you rather have Brock Purdy or Dak leading your team?

I don't know that Purdy would do any better than Jared Goff

1697118103842.png

Dak I agree with you. But between Purdy and Goff, maybe Purdy just has a better team. At least at the moment he does. Or it seems. The Lions only lost one to the formidable Seahawks who've had 2 big wins so far this year.

But I am glad we are not playing San Fran in the regular season. The last time we were good and played them Jim Harbaugh win in Detroit and stole Jim Schwart's mojo. We were rolling before that game. Suddenly we sucked. And Green Bay ended up winning our division because we lost sooo many games after San Fran.

Forum List

Back