FYI: Phone Scam / one ring and hang up

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Just an FYI for all of you. This has happened to several people I know in the last few days. Just be aware.

Have you received a cell phone call that rang once and then stopped?

Wanted to call back the number to see who it was? Don't!

There's a scam going around where computers are calling thousands of cell phone numbers, letting it ring once, and then disconnecting.

They hope you'll call back.

The Better Business Bureau says if you do, you're charged $19.95 initially and put on hold.

If you stay on and listen to the music, you're charged another $9 a minute.

Read more: BBB 'one-ring' scam: Phone call you should never return

So far those I know are getting calls from Aruba and Barbuda.

to bad these fools can't use their genius for good instead of evil.

CaféAuLait;8546137 said:
Just an FYI for all of you. This has happened to several people I know in the last few days. Just be aware.

Have you received a cell phone call that rang once and then stopped?

Wanted to call back the number to see who it was? Don't!

There's a scam going around where computers are calling thousands of cell phone numbers, letting it ring once, and then disconnecting.

They hope you'll call back.

The Better Business Bureau says if you do, you're charged $19.95 initially and put on hold.

If you stay on and listen to the music, you're charged another $9 a minute.

Read more: BBB 'one-ring' scam: Phone call you should never return

So far those I know are getting calls from Aruba and Barbuda.
If we miss a call, and they don't leave a message, we figure the call was not important, so we don't call back.

We have a Panasonic phone that allows us to add phone numbers to a list where the phone won't ring if they call back.

I started picking up the phone and hanging up on telemarketers so they will get charged for the call since they won't stop calling.

Forum List

Back