FU--Virginia

Probably because its a ridiculous requirement. Trying to rustle up 400 Republicans in a DC exburb district where they are just waiting for their welfare check is a difficult requirement.

Virginia - Election Results 2010 - The New York Times

District 3 had the fewest Republican votes in the 2010 Congressional elections at about 44,000.

All he needed was less than 1% of the people who voted GOP in that district to qualify.

and there you have it. Joe either admit you are wrong or get tossed into the retard pile with the others.

Please don't pretend I actually care what you think, guy.

I stand by my original statement. It's an unreasonable requirement. One that leads to the kind of shennanigans the RPV just pulled.

No, Urkel, no one cares about what you talk about...
Speak for yourself, you turtle-wanged nobcowboy.

We both have a rep power of 187, but I've been here since July, and you've been here since 2009...

I think that kind of settles the issue of who cares about what people are saying.
Nope. I've got 188 - and have a 1,000 less posts than you.

I just don't post 50 posts a day like you do. I have a life.

:lol:

We both have a rep power of 187, but I've been here since July, and you've been here since 2009...

I think that kind of settles the issue of who cares about what people are saying.

she um doesnt post here as much as you dipshit.
It takes a couple of cells fired up to figure that one out, Plasma. Something we know JoeB is short on. :lol:

The whining needs to stop, the candidates and the candidate's committee failed to organize, all you have to do back there is set up your booth right outside those metro's and get your signatures, you could have had it done easily in a couple of weeks. To whine about the election laws now when they knew it well in advance is ridiculous. They were warned on Nov 15th well over a month ago that they needed to get busy, they didn't and now they are paying for it.

Hey, dummy, you do realize you need to get the Perry and Gingrich supporters behind your Weird Mormon Robot next November, right. You don't want them getting any whacky ideas about forming a third party or supporting a third party or just staying home.

This is where the GOP establishment is making A HUGE mistake. By cheating to this degree to acheive a result, they will have a result no one will feel invested in.

I go back to the Democrats in 2008. It was a long, bitter campaign, but at the end of it, people who supported Mrs. Clinton were able to get their chance to do so. So they had no problem getting behind Obama in the fall.

But if Romney runs roughshod over those who wanted to see Gingirch or Perry on the ballot, and says, "Hey, screw you, you got to vote for me now", how far do you think that's going to get him?

Obama hate is only going to carry you fools so far.

Hey stupid, if a candidate I supported did something as dumb as not organizing in order to get on a state ballot, then I would seriously consider voting for the one's that did. If you can't organize to a level of making the requirement for a state ballot, you have no business running for President of the United States.

:eusa_hand: Ummm..... this board is right-leaning if you didn't notice :eusa_whistle: :lol:
lol. I don't think he noticed.

Virginia recommended 15,000 signatures – only Paul and Romney campaigns noticed

The campaigns were given more than 5 months to collect signatures so it is curious that the candidates with smaller organizations did not even bother trying to enter the Virginia race.

It pays for the candidates and their managers to pay attention to state election laws. Good Grief!!!

very little time for a legal challenge from either point-of-view.

What makes a court challenge more likely is that, according to Richard Winger at Ballot Access News, the Virginia GOP may have changed the rules very recently:

But what has not been reported is that in the only other presidential primaries in which Virginia required 10,000 signatures (2000, 2004, and 2008) the signatures were not checked. Any candidate who submitted at least 10,000 raw signatures was put on the ballot. In 2000, five Republicans qualified: George Bush, John McCain, Alan Keyes, Gary Bauer, and Steve Forbes. In 2004 there was no Republican primary in Virginia. In 2008, seven Republicans qualified: John McCain, Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, and Alan Keyes.

Was the 10,000 signature deeming rule what both Perry and Gingrich had set as a goal fully expecting that 10,000 signatures was a guaranteed entrance into the race? A quick run through the Virginia State Board of Elections website finds a bulletin dated July 1st that includes an important recommendation (emphasis mine):

Must be signed by not less than 10,000 qualified voters in Virginia, including at least 400 qualified voters from each of Virginia=s eleven congressional districts, who attest that they intend to participate in the primary of the same political party as the candidate named on the petition. Because many people who are not registered to vote will sign a petition, it is recommended that 15,000 – 20,000 signatures be obtained with at least 700 signatures from each congressional district

Last edited:
Hey! I just reached 5,000 posts!

1.gif

Took me 2 1//2 years, but there it is.

:eusa_hand: Ummm..... this board is right-leaning if you didn't notice :eusa_whistle: :lol:

Which makes me wonder why left wing trolls like to post here then.

To the point, I say a few things that anger right wingers, too. I don't really purely go left or right, what I consider myself to be is a pragmatist.

Hey stupid, if a candidate I supported did something as dumb as not organizing in order to get on a state ballot, then I would seriously consider voting for the one's that did. If you can't organize to a level of making the requirement for a state ballot, you have no business running for President of the United States.

Hey, dumbass, if the party is going to resort to dirty tricks, I'm not sure I want them to win.

This is PROFOUNDLY stupid to have done it this way.

No one respects a game that was won by a bad call on the refs part. If I were one of the 27,000 people who signed a petition to get Newt or Rick on the ballot in that state, I would feel PROFOUNDLY upset that they said my voice didn't count.

And I wouldn't be inclined to show up for the guy who cheated to win in November.

Oh, by the way, Obama won Virginia by 200,000 votes in 2008. So do you really need to be ticking people off there?

Mike Huckabee got 41% of the vote there in the 2008 primary. So lots of Baptists there not inclined to vote for a Mormon.

I guess we can toss VA in the Blue column next year.

To the point, I say a few things that anger right wingers, too. I don't really purely go left or right, what I consider myself to be is a pragmatist.

funny... what it seems like you are is intentionally contary and the opposite of a pragmatist given your denial of reality.

Ah...you see, many of us left wing people like to hear differing opinions. We don't want an echo chamber. You see, it stimulates the mind and we don't come off as yes men and sychophants as much.

There is nothing better to help one refine, reform, or reinforce a point of view on a subject like hearing the other side and tumbling brain cells about on it.

If you are really committed to residing amongst opposing mindsets, it forces you to spend time introspective; it forces learning.
It does if you approach it with honest, confirmable facts anyway.

It's not really possible in an echo chamber. When one chooses to inhabit only comfortable spaces, acknowledge only nodding heads, when one seeks only opinions that reinforce what one wants to hear - you learn nothing.

Hey, dumbass, if the party is going to resort to dirty tricks, I'm not sure I want them to win.

No one respects a game that was won by a bad call on the refs part. If I were one of the 27,000 people who signed a petition to get Newt or Rick on the ballot in that state, I would feel PROFOUNDLY upset that they said my voice didn't count.

And I wouldn't be inclined to show up for the guy who cheated to win in November.

Oh, by the way, Obama won Virginia by 200,000 votes in 2008. So do you really need to be ticking people off there?

Mike Huckabee got 41% of the vote there in the 2008 primary. So lots of Baptists there not inclined to vote for a Mormon.

Dirty tricks?...

.....................Bad Call by a ref?

...................................Cheated?

Any other appeals to emotion to be included?

What part of the fact that 10,000 qualified voter signatures, with 400 minimum from each of the Congressional districts is hard to understand.

Following the law is a "dirty trick?

.....................Following the rules (i.e. law) is a Bad Call by a ref?

...................................Following the law is Cheating?

Anyone involved with signature gathering knows that at a minimum you should gather a minimum of 20% above the required amount in each category. I'll bet that they never even got to reviewing the 10,000 signatures - I'll wager that once the process is explained in detail that Newt's campaign failed to provide 400 qualified voter signatures from each congressional district. Rallies in the D.C. suburbs of Virginia they days before the deadline aren't going to hack it because they don't provide the spread required under the law, they concentrate those signatures that are obtained to just a view norther Virginia districts.

§ 24.2-545. Presidential primary.

"B. Any person seeking the nomination of the national political party for the office of President of the United States, or any group organized in this Commonwealth on behalf of, and with the consent of such person, may file with the State Board petitions signed by at least 10,000 qualified voters, including at least 400 qualified voters from each congressional district in the Commonwealth, who attest that they intend to participate in the primary of the same political party as the candidate for whom the petitions are filed."​

§ 24.2-101. Definitions.

""Qualified voter" means a person who is entitled to vote pursuant to the Constitution of Virginia and who is (i) 18 years of age on or before the day of the election or qualified pursuant to § 24.2-403 or subsection D of § 24.2-544, (ii) a resident of the Commonwealth and of the precinct in which he offers to vote, and (iii) registered to vote. No person who has been convicted of a felony shall be a qualified voter unless his civil rights have been restored by the Governor or other appropriate authority. No person adjudicated incapacitated shall be a qualified voter unless his capacity has been reestablished as provided by law. "​

LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-545
LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-101

>>>>

Those are the state laws of Virginia, the campaigns were informed of them well in advance, they had over 5 months to collect those signatures, they were warned on Nov 15th to get busy collecting them and they still didn't get it done, it's the candidates and their campaign's fault. If they did not know Virginia's election laws they have no business running for President of the U.S, they are not organized and if they are this dis-organized there is no way they can run a national campaign and succeed, it can't be done.

This is reminiscent of Obama blaming Bush for all of his failures, Newt needs to man up and admit his mistake, fire his campaign manager and the Virginia manager, move on and make sure that this mistake is not repeated in other states. For some reason, I see it happening again and again, it's called no organization.

Im disappointed. But the law is the law. If the the candidates cant organize getting the signatures like they are supposed to, how do they expect to run the country? Seriously, getting on the ballot is one of single most important parts of the campaign. If you can't do that, then you really are in over your head.

Huckabee
McCain
Guliani
Romney
Paul
Thompson

What do all six of these men have in common?

George W. Bush Texas
John McCain
Alan Keyes
Gary Bauer
Steve Forbe

What do all five of these men have in common?

They all put their pants on one leg at a time?:eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back