Frozen Wind Farms Are Just a Small Piece of Texas’s Power Woes

Bloomberg:

""Don’t point too many fingers at Texas wind turbines, because they’re Not the main reason broad swaths of the state have been plunged into darkness.

While ice has forced some turbines to shut down just as a brutal cold wave drives record electricity demand, that’s been the Least significant factor in the blackouts, according to Dan Woodfin, a senior director for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the state’s power grid."...."

Texas is not part of the USA power grid. They have their own independent grid because they did not want to comply with all regulations of the national grid. If they followed the regulations of the national grid, they would not be in the mess they are now.

There was nothing like this storm in 2011, idiot.
I live in NY. We've had 20 deg weather for a month...teens at night. Just had a storm that dropped 20 inches of snow. No loss of power other than a few power lines down. OUR fossil fuel power plants and nuke plants didn't fail. It ain't rocket surgery
You think Texans have never been through a freeze before?
What I think is that Texas Republican politicians didn't properly plan for eventualities. They cheaped out and people are dying

Snow isn't a problem dipshit, ICE is the problem. See how many power systems can withstand a half inch of ice covering everything. Trees aren't a match for it either. Homes aren't built here to withstand this kind of cold either, the idiots put hot water heaters and water piping in the freak attics. In the summer you have instant hot water, in cold weather it takes forever to get hot water from the heater. There will be 10s of billions in damages from broken water pipes.

zwv9advaf2i61.jpg

It's quite funny to me that you do no understand that Northern latitudes and tiny amounts of snow are incredibly disastrous to solar power in the Winter, when you need it.

solar-panels-snow.png

field-of-snow-covered-solar-panels-picture-id153121936

solar-panels-covered-snow-rows-small-power-plant-31963052.jpg

aerial-image-snow-covered-solar-panel-park-drone-view-photovoltaic-power-station-winter-136792250.jpg
snow isnt a big problem on panels

Too fucking funny, snow isn't a problem, unless the primary source is out. Then you can just freeze right along with your worthless panels.

Apparently if you make no provisions for cold, ALL your energy sources fail dumfuk

And renewables were NOT the "primary source".

Your lies make you look more pathetic than usual

There are huge wind turbines around Palm Springs. Miles of them. Acres of them. None are operational but if they were not a one has a heater. They were shut down because they killed too many birds.
It's incredibly common.

I don't even want to post the Norway videos. I hate seeing animals get hurt.

And solar farms fry birds in flight, where's PETA to shut them down.

Solar farms can alleviate the danger by adjusting the tilt of the panels. If a bird lands on one BUZZT.

Then they become less efficient. People who build them aren't going to give up the revenue for birds. They're just like the folks building windmills.

Climate Change is not the issue here...renewables are not the issue here.

Piss poor planning on the part of Republican legislators is the issue. They failed Texas and now people are dying.
Puffle. I guarantee you that no wind turbines in southern California, south Arizona or south New Mexico have heaters.
Let me know if they freeze.

Newsflash. The fossil fuel plants and nuke plants froze as well...and that was where Texas was supposed to get 90% of their energy from

That's because they weren't properly maintained. The system in TX makes them less profitable than they should be, maintenance is one of the first places companies cut corners to survive.

Last edited:
Put a half inch of ice on any power system and it will go down. It's that simple.
Gee...I wonder how they manage in North Dakota...or Canada...

When do they get days of freezing rain?

We get shit tons of freezing rain in Canada, we also get temperatures well into the -30's fahrenheit. Wind Turbines and Solar both work fine in these conditions.

Yep they get that shit pretty much every year, the systems are designed for those conditions. This is a 100 year event here.

Yep they get that shit pretty much every year, the systems are designed for those conditions. This is a 100 year event here.
But wait...when you were stupidly attacking renewable energy...you fuckers were saying "It's been cold here before and the system worked".

Your argument seems to shift by the moment.

Face it. Your GOP assholes cheaped out...fucked up...and people are dying

It's quite funny to me that you do no understand that Northern latitudes and tiny amounts of snow are incredibly disastrous to solar power in the Winter, when you need it.

solar-panels-snow.png

aerial-image-snow-covered-solar-panel-park-drone-view-photovoltaic-power-station-winter-136792250.jpg

Too fucking funny, snow isn't a problem, unless the primary source is out. Then you can just freeze right along with your worthless panels.

Apparently if you make no provisions for cold, ALL your energy sources fail dumfuk

We normally get cold that lasts for a day or two, a week below freezing especially at the temps we've had this week are extremely rare. Nothing here is built to sustain sub zero wind chill for extended times. It made it up to 34 here today. Temps around 70 are forecast for Sunday.

Put a half inch of ice on any power system and it will go down. It's that simple.

We get shit tons of freezing rain in Canada, we also get temperatures well into the -30's fahrenheit. Wind Turbines and Solar both work fine in these conditions.

The thing is if on the Nat'l grid, they would have been made to comply with upgrades! Thiis is why Texas will be the country's toilet one day with them dereglating everything and not halfway educating their children! What are the benefits of cutting taxes so much everything's in disrepair, falling apart, or ready to collapse? I couldn't be talked into moving there even with a huge salary! I'd rather pay higher taxes with a gov't that regulates things so $#!t like this doesn't happen and if it does a solution is ready at hand! Biden's supposedly declared them a disaster area and will be sending Texas generators, water, etc.! Ask them about seceding now! :rolleyes:

solar-panels-snow.png

We normally get cold that lasts for a day or two, a week below freezing especially at the temps we've had this week are extremely rare. Nothing here is built to sustain sub zero wind chill for extended times. It made it up to 34 here today. Temps around 70 are forecast for Sunday.

And all those frozen pipes start leaking

But wait...when you were stupidly attacking renewable energy...you fuckers were saying "It's been cold here before and the system worked".

Your argument seems to shift by the moment.

Face it. Your GOP assholes cheaped out...fucked up...and people are dying

We weren't as reliant on renewables then. Like I said, all the subsidies and tax breaks are directed at renewables now, that kills the profitability of sustainables. EROCT require transmission companies to buy from the generation company the sells the cheapest power in 5 minute windows. On good days when the wind is blowing and the sun is shining, the sustainables can't compete and get no revenue. That has to change.

Cherry picker that you are....if it were just renewable energy then the rest of the fossil fuel energy systems would be working.
You are making a joke of yourself.
They do have windfarms in the upper Midwest and Canada.
That happened in texASS is they didn't want to spend money on the infrastructure to have workable windfarms.
The end results, the people pay the price, as always with those that only look t the bottom line and have no forward thinking.
And they want to secede lol

Bloomberg:

""Don’t point too many fingers at Texas wind turbines, because they’re Not the main reason broad swaths of the state have been plunged into darkness.

While ice has forced some turbines to shut down just as a brutal cold wave drives record electricity demand, that’s been the Least significant factor in the blackouts, according to Dan Woodfin, a senior director for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the state’s power grid."...."

That is a BS lie by global warming nuts....Texas would not be in the news for power outages if not for renewable subsidies that replaced their existing power supply with wind and solar farms...so the people of America in part paid for Texas to have an unreliable power grid....CA is right in there with them....

We started building our wind farm in the 90s.

We now have one of the largest wind farms in the nation.

I live in the most north western state in the lower 48 states.

Our wind farms are out in the central and eastern part of the state. Where every winter it's normal for temperatures to be way below freezing for months. From December to April.

Never, not once, has any wind turbine frozen. None of our power grid has ever frozen.

We use water, wind, solar, natural gas and a small nuclear facility for energy here. No fossil fuels generate energy here.

We have more electricity than we use and sell it to other states for a profit while having the second lowest electric rates in the nation.

Weird how our wind turbines endure decades of below freezing temperatures from December to April without freezing even once.

Yet Texas has a couple days of cold and their turbines freeze.

The thing is if on the Nat'l grid, they would have been made to comply with upgrades! Thiis is why Texas will be the country's toilet one day with them dereglating everything and not halfway educating their children! What are the benefits of cutting taxes so much everything's in disrepair, falling apart, or ready to collapse? I couldn't be talked into moving there even with a huge salary! I'd rather pay higher taxes with a gov't that regulates things so $#!t like this doesn't happen and if it does a solution is ready at hand! Biden's supposedly declared them a disaster area and will be sending Texas generators, water, etc.! Ask them about seceding now! :rolleyes:

Are you stupid or just not paying attention to the thread. Other States, that are on the national grid, are having similar problems. The only areas that are having any real problem with education are ran by commiecrats, with teachers unions having a strangle hold on them. Also the roads here are under constant reconstruction, adding more lane and new roads are going in all over the State. You stick with your commie shit hole, I like it here just fine.

solar-panels-snow.png

And all those frozen pipes start leaking

Yep, that's why I build my house different. Unfortunately the one I bought was built to TX standards and I foresee many problems there in my future. I've done everything I can to remediate them.

the left are excited to have this storm so they can push their climate agenda. sorry, i speak the harsh truth

and that lucky pinhead Bill Gates has a book about climate out today. he's ecstatic.

we have a CRISIS OF STUPIDITY in America, folks!

Bloomberg:

Texas is a prime example of ignorant NaziCon nuts who want smaller government and deregulation. Hell, they can't even plow the snow - let alone winterize their power generation systems. And then they talk about "seceding" from the union. I thought it was hilarious when Governor Abbott tried to blame green energy for their current clusterfuck. What a joke.

1613625818279.png

The left are excited to have this storm so they can push their climate agenda. Sorry, I speak the harsh truth.

And that lucky pinhead, Bill Gates has a book about climate out today. He's ecstatic.

We have a CRISIS OF STUPIDITY in America folks!

It's unfortunate your mind works that way! Nothing new really! "Mirror, mirror!" You're not exactly innovative in your stupid accusations! I'm sure Gates would love to be wrong, but in lieu of that I'm also sure he'd appreciate a little respect from cretins when he's right! :cheeky-smiley-018:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back