From Locke, Paine, to Jefferson

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been reading some John Locke recently and I found his concept of freedom most inlign with what the founding fathers wrote. Locke believe that man was free in nature and possessed certain rights in that existence but since man can't maintain that state for very long governments were formed to protect those natural inalienable rights. This seemed to paralles a lot of what the founding fathers said and what Jefferson meant about the purpose of government to which were to 'secure the blessings of liberty'.

Bill O'Olberman

Reaction score
For fun you should go back and read Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes, however, its not fun. Its pretty much the source from which Locke gets his ideas on the social constract theory and the sets the foundations for liberalism but Locke has a completely differnetly conclusion.

jswiftproposal

Registered Baby-Cannibal
Reaction score
I've been reading some John Locke recently and I found his concept of freedom most inlign with what the founding fathers wrote. Locke believe that man was free in nature and possessed certain rights in that existence but since man can't maintain that state for very long governments were formed to protect those natural inalienable rights. This seemed to paralles a lot of what the founding fathers said and what Jefferson meant about the purpose of government to which were to 'secure the blessings of liberty'.

hey genius... go back to history class, the founding fathers G O T their ideas for government from John Locke, that is why their ideas look so similar to you... Use that little brain of yours and make some connections, possibly do some research and realize what came first, this isn't a chicken or an egg....

p.s. I am a fan of your spelling and grammer :clap2::clap2:

Sherry

You're not the boss of me
Reaction score

hey genius... go back to history class, the founding fathers G O T their ideas for government from John Locke, that is why their ideas look so similar to you... Use that little brain of yours and make some connections, possibly do some research and realize what came first, this isn't a chicken or an egg....

p.s. I am a fan of your spelling and grammer :clap2::clap2:

:eusa_eh:

Intense

Reaction score

Madison and Jefferson borrowed much from Locke.

John Locke: A Letter Concerning Toleration

John Locke: Second Treatise of Civil Government

Intense

Reaction score
For fun you should go back and read Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes, however, its not fun. Its pretty much the source from which Locke gets his ideas on the social constract theory and the sets the foundations for liberalism but Locke has a completely differnetly conclusion.

Locke was Biblical.

xsited1

Agent P
Reaction score

Was this before or after John Locke was taken over by the Smoke Monster?

Intense

Reaction score

Was this before or after John Locke was taken over by the Smoke Monster?

What wasn't important enough to learn in Public School. ;)

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List