Zone1 Found A Box Of Tools On My Property

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I went down on my range property to test fire a gun and when unlocking the gate I looked over and saw a Husky tool box with wheels in the brush.

Like this one....HD calls it a Jobber Box, about $60.00:

OIP.zrPtUhh2LFCed1O7tK5P4QHaHa

It was all smashed-up so I got it out of the brush and it was full of tools so I gathered it up and tossed in the back of my PU, did what I went there for, then went home and dug through it.

I guess there was about $400-$500 (retail) worth of tools with most being nice quality hand tools. The best item being a high-end self-leveling laser level and stand. Works great.

Looked like it had been there a while but nothing inside had rusted. It must have fell off of someone's PU and over the bank. I guess I never noticed it before because of the leaves.....I let that area next to the road grow-up to keep prying eyes away from the rest of my property. Leaves are down now.

I got the wife to see if she saw anything on the local FB but she saw nothing.....Free tools for me I guess but I'm still a bit uneasy about it.....The laser level is really nice though so I'll survive. ;)

I went down on my range property to test fire a gun and when unlocking the gate I looked over and saw a Husky tool box with wheels in the brush.

It was all smashed-up so I got it out of the brush and it was full of tools so I gathered it up and tossed in the back of my PU, did what I went there for, then went home and dug through it.

I guess there was about $400-$500 (retail) worth of tools with most being nice quality hand tools. The best item being a high-end self-leveling laser level and stand. Works great.

Looked like it had been there a while but nothing inside had rusted. It must have fell off of someone's PU and over the bank. I guess I never noticed it before because of the leaves.....I let that area next to the road grow-up to keep prying eyes away from the rest of my property. Leaves are down now.

I got the wife to see if she saw anything on the local FB but she saw nothing.....Free tools for me I guess but I'm still a bit uneasy about it.....The laser level is really nice though so I'll survive. ;)
How I got my dewalt drill..found it on the rd, Charger didnt work

Finders keepers. :beer:

I once found a little over $500 in a dump, back in the late 70's. Some old woman had died and her family threw out all her clothes and purses. It was weird that they didn't check inside all the purses and wallets she had.

Someone lost their livelihood, bad luck for them. Too bad, so sad.

It's a shame there is no place in your area to place a "FOUND" ad or some such thing...

Oh well, lucky you!

Someone lost their livelihood, bad luck for them. Too bad, so sad.

It's a shame there is no place in your area to place a "FOUND" ad or some such thing...

Oh well, lucky you!

I did that dance about 15 years ago with a nice Minn-Kota trolling motor I found at a boat landing on my way home from work one morning about daylight....Laying right in the middle of the road....Evidently it must have bounced off the transom of someone's boat when they pulled out after night fishing.....I suspect they loosened it but forgot to set it inside the boat.

I put in the L&F section of our local paper.

My Gawd, all I can say there must be a lot of wayward trolling motors in my AO! :laughing0301:

All I asked when one would call was the brand and the thrust and you should have heard all the hemming and hawling. Lying bastards!.....Never again.....I gave it to a co-worker.

Free tools happen ... pick a color and give them a rattle can paint job ... don't worry, someday you'll lose tools ... so things will balance out ...

howabout roofing nails - box and nails strewn across the road and 5 or 6 cars pulled over w/ flat tires.

- not sure they would respond to lost and found to get their nails back ... unless of course they were devoutly religious ...

Makes one "wonder" why a protable box of tools was doing on your personal property. Is there anything of value on this propety or in any adjoing property where there might be a need to use tools to arrange a 5 finger discount? Just saying.........A box of tools is something that's not easily misplaced. Either someone was up to no good and was attempting to get away with a box of tools and encountered problems or perhaps they were planning on using them to relieve you of something of value and were interpruted and had to stash the tools. Could be the reason you have no answers in the attempt to find the property owners.

I had a catlaytic convertor stolen from truck while I was in a krogers store.....I was in the store for less than 15 min. and the parking lot was crowded with everyone attempting to get in some last min. shopping with a winter strom on the way. It was a four wheel drive..with 2 convertors, one with an easy access that required nothing but a saw's all cordless tool, wire cutters, and about 30 seconds of cutting. There was no need to even jack the truck up......it set high enough off the ground so that a small person could easily roll under the truck and make a quick exist with the convertor.

The store reported there were 4 such robberies within a 30 min. time frame. No one witnessed anything with all the parked automobiles blocking the view of the parking lot cameras. The worst part? When I attempted to drive back to my property......a state trooper pulled me over and attempted to issue me a ticket for running an illegal exhaust. Luckily he listened to my story with a kind ear, and gave me a warning with a few days to correct the problem. It was not worth turning in on my comprehensive policy as I have a 500 buck deductible across the board.......I had to eat the cost of purchasing a compatible convertor, which I welded on myself. The 02 senor was almost as costly as the convertor

Last edited:

The right thing to do is to take a Facebook/local newspaper ad stating you found this job box and the person who can list EVERYTHING in the box, can come claim it.

Unless you think someone was up to something nefarious.

I would get a notarized list of the contents to be legal.

Nice find. That was my guess, it either fell off someone's truck and they will be looking for it, or, it was left there clandestinely by someone looking to do something unauthorized on your property?
Nah, it was just over the bank in the brush. The box was all smashed-up as in cracked but the tools inside were none the worse for wear.

There it a sharp curve there so it must have launched off the truck, over the bank, and onto my place. It's about a 12' drop off the side of the state road there.

LOL....I used to have a fence there but someone took it out years ago coming around that curve.

The right thing to do is to take a Facebook/local newspaper ad stating you found this job box and the person who can list EVERYTHING in the box, can come claim it.

Unless you think someone was up to something nefarious.

I would get a notarized list of the contents to be legal.
No way, see above trolling motor post.

No way, see above trolling motor post.
Which is why I said you should get a detailed and notarized list of the contents. If they can't accurately describe its contents, it isn't theirs.

I would have a problem with keeping tools that were not mine without at least trying to attempt to find the owner.

I once had a client who bought a house. He and his pal were working in the attic shortly after the purchase. The pal found a metal box wedged in the beams. It contained a lot of fairly old bills. Came to (as I recall) $10k. Client kept it and checked with prior house owner who told him it wasn’t his (ie the prior owner’s) and the prior said “keep it.”

I did some checking and advised client that our law requires him to turn it over to police and to then publicize notice of the found money — but not to specify either the precise amount nor any identifying information about the currency (specifically that it was old). Client did so.

Then, three months later, if nobody else claimed it, it would be his. He did as advised. He got the money back three months later.

Which is why I said you should get a detailed and notarized list of the contents. If they can't accurately describe its contents, it isn't theirs.

I would have a problem with keeping tools that were not mine without at least trying to attempt to find the owner.
You have good instincts.

Would'nt hurt to let the police know if nothing else to cover your butt just in case they were stolen. Check for any marks on them that may identify them to the owner. I got tow chains and some large sized wrenches that set in a bucket along the highway for a week before I stopped to pick them up.

:laughing0301:

Zone1 - Went to my sons in Virginia. Lost my tool box...

Maybe someone was trying to tell you that you have a screw loose and need to get a level head.

Forum List

Back