Former Pastor Converts To Atheism

One more time. Dogma is the insistence that a belief is true and not subject to question. If your position does not constitute dogma, then nothing does. And again, one more time, if I am wrong then present your evidence. I keep asking you to do that, and you keep saying I'm dogmatic for not just accepting your position without question.

dogma
noun dog·ma \ˈdȯg-mə, ˈdäg-\

: a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted

: a belief or set of beliefs that is taught by a religious organization

There is no dogma in atheism.

Then you can provide the evidence to support the claim which was made? Because all of this started when I said it was pure faith. Show me how it isn't. And if it isn't, and I am not supposed to question it, then I refer you to the definition above.
Ah. You've employed the "prove it isn't", tactic.

That's a tactic often dragged out by religious zealots when they're tasked with supporting their specious claims.

You maintain your dogma of "atheism is a religion". In multiple posts and in multiple threads you have consistently failed to present a defendable argument for your dogma. You have sidestepped and evaded and made every attempt to shift the burden of proof which falls to the positive assertion.

So once again we're left with you making arguments you cannot support and then sidestepping any accounting for your dishonesty.

Doesn't that make you feel, at the very least, dirty?

I get that I am talking to a true believer, so I honestly don't expect to get through to you. The only thing I have claimed is that your position is based upon belief. I have repeatedly asked you for the evidence to support your position and you have repeatedly berated me for having the temerity to do so. Obviously, you have no evidence. You are operating on belief and belief alone. You just don't have the honesty to admit it. That is not my problem. But don't expect a free ride.
Um, no. You have claimed atheism is a religion. Then, as now, you are unable to support that position. Then, as now, you hope not to be held accountable for your specious opinions and instead, seek to impose your dogma on others.

It sounds like you're in the "what does atheism mean exactly" debate.

Atheists who believe there is no God or no possibility of God believe that based on faith - even if it is a seemingly more informed faith than the faith of theists.

Atheists who simply do not believe are not participating in faith-based beliefs. Many people call that position agnosticism

One more time. Dogma is the insistence that a belief is true and not subject to question. If your position does not constitute dogma, then nothing does. And again, one more time, if I am wrong then present your evidence. I keep asking you to do that, and you keep saying I'm dogmatic for not just accepting your position without question.

dogma

: a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted

Then you can provide the evidence to support the claim which was made? Because all of this started when I said it was pure faith. Show me how it isn't. And if it isn't, and I am not supposed to question it, then I refer you to the definition above.

That's a tactic often dragged out by religious zealots when they're tasked with supporting their specious claims.

You maintain your dogma of "atheism is a religion". In multiple posts and in multiple threads you have consistently failed to present a defendable argument for your dogma. You have sidestepped and evaded and made every attempt to shift the burden of proof which falls to the positive assertion.

So once again we're left with you making arguments you cannot support and then sidestepping any accounting for your dishonesty.

I get that I am talking to a true believer, so I honestly don't expect to get through to you. The only thing I have claimed is that your position is based upon belief. I have repeatedly asked you for the evidence to support your position and you have repeatedly berated me for having the temerity to do so. Obviously, you have no evidence. You are operating on belief and belief alone. You just don't have the honesty to admit it. That is not my problem. But don't expect a free ride.
Um, no. You have claimed atheism is a religion. Then, as now, you are unable to support that position. Then, as now, you hope not to be held accountable for your specious opinions and instead, seek to impose your dogma on others.

What I have maintained is that some people, and you are certainly included in that, have turned Atheism into a religion. As evidence I present your post. I ask you for evidence and you respond that I am imposing dogma on you. I am not allowed to question, not allowed to ask for support. I am to accept without question.

Of course, Atheism doesn't have dogma, so this dogma can't be dogma. It is wrong of me to even consider it.

What PratchettFan is saying is that if one believes there is no God(s), it is as much a faith-based belief as believing there is one. In other words, agnosticism is the only rational position. There is no faith in not believing one way or the other.

I don't believe in God. I don't believe there is no possibility of one or something like a god or something unimaginable. I just don't know.

Belief should not be substituted for knowledge. If there is one atheist belief, that should be it.

Hollie sealybobo ClosedCaption Carla_Danger

I would agree with this. Although, I am not convinced pure agnosticism is possible - at least in an adult. However, I would certainly agree that agnosticism is the only rational position.

And you have faith in that position?

Sure.

Well I don't appreciate you projecting your religion onto others.

Really? What is my religion?

What PratchettFan is saying is that if one believes there is no God(s), it is as much a faith-based belief as believing there is one. In other words, agnosticism is the only rational position. There is no faith in not believing one way or the other.

I don't believe in God. I don't believe there is no possibility of one or something like a god or something unimaginable. I just don't know.

Belief should not be substituted for knowledge. If there is one atheist belief, that should be it.

I would agree with this. Although, I am not convinced pure agnosticism is possible - at least in an adult. However, I would certainly agree that agnosticism is the only rational position.
We agree you gotta pick a side. Lol

I can not rationally pick a side. Why should I?

Sure.

The religion of Continuous Petty Blabber.

Sure.

To recap then. You can't support the statement with evidence, but don't like it being called pure faith. You don't like my projecting my religion on you, but have no idea what my religion is. And your position is based upon a rational examination of the facts. Do I have that about right?

dogma

What I have maintained is that some people, and you are certainly included in that, have turned Atheism into a religion. As evidence I present your post. I ask you for evidence and you respond that I am imposing dogma on you. I am not allowed to question, not allowed to ask for support. I am to accept without question.

Of course, Atheism doesn't have dogma, so this dogma can't be dogma. It is wrong of me to even consider it.

And there is a specific thread for that topic.

Atheism Is Not A Religion US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

dogma

What you're hoping to do is sidestep any accounting for your indefensible claims.

Your claim is that "atheism is a religion". How is that so? You consistently sidestep addressing that.

Sure.

To recap then. You can't support the statement with evidence, but don't like it being called pure faith. You don't like my projecting my religion on you, but have no idea what my religion is. And your position is based upon a rational examination of the facts. Do I have that about right?

Atheism Is Not A Religion US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

What you're hoping to do is sidestep any accounting for your indefensible claims.

Your claim is that "atheism is a religion". How is that so? You consistently sidestep addressing that.

I have sidestepped? A statement of fact was made. Is it or is it not belief? If it is not, present the evidence.

Do you agree theres a difference between being agnostic about a generic creator and being atheist about all the man made organized religions? You must have an opinion about Jesus Mohammad Noah moses and Joseph smith

Yes. My opinion is that all known religions' claims of truth seem highly unlikely.

Again. I would agree.
You remind me of me when I first started to see the truth. Good for you. Keep going. Its not enough to just reject religions. The true reality is that there very well may be no god.

But its better this way. Instead of the wishful thinking that you will live forever work towards helping the species live as long as possible.

That means going green and being pro science. Think you can handle it? Lol

Some atheists do treat atheism like a religion.

I have sidestepped? A statement of fact was made. Is it or is it not belief? If it is not, present the evidence.
Our evidence is you have no evidence you dummy

Do you agree theres a difference between being agnostic about a generic creator and being atheist about all the man made organized religions? You must have an opinion about Jesus Mohammad Noah moses and Joseph smith

Yes. My opinion is that all known religions' claims of truth seem highly unlikely.

Again. I would agree.
You remind me of me when I first started to see the truth. Good for you. Keep going. Its not enough to just reject religions. The true reality is that there very well may be no god.

But its better this way. Instead of the wishful thinking that you will live forever work towards helping the species live as long as possible.

I very much doubt PratchettFan is going to stop completely believing in the way he does. His beliefs might change, but he probably won't reject them entirely.

Our evidence is you have no evidence you dummy

That is a fallacy known as argumentum ad ignorantiam. An argument from ignorance. If you want to claim your position is based upon logic, you should use logic.

If I make a statement that I believe is true without solid evidence, then yes you can make the claim I have made a faith based statement.

However, A faith based statement does not inherent a religion.

For instance, to say "I believe in God" is not a statement that inherits Christianity.

However, theism is not a religion, nor does it have a religious structure by itself..

Also, Not all theist practice a religion--but they believe in God.

Again. I would agree.

Of course there may be no God. God is utterly irrelevant. I do not care if there is a God. I do, however, care about rational thought and logic. If you are going to claim your position is based upon that, then use it. I have no objection to belief, but don't claim it to be rational and logical.

Sound more like an agnostic atheist to me.

A theist says they know god exists. He visited them. Fact.

There's actually no such thing as an atheist because you can not KNOW god doesnt exist. Atheism is the opposite of theism. Theists say they know god exists. Right? See how they dont know and neither do atheists? So the best position is agnostic atheist. You sound like one. Agnostics are pussies. Man up.

I'd rather not get into the definition of atheism, agnosticism, agnostic atheism, strong or weak atheism debate. Let's just say I'm a non-believer.

What do I need to "man up" to, and how would I? Why would I?

For all we know Joseph Smith was right and Mormonism is the one true faith. Or even L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. I hope not, and with everything I think I know - I would think that either of those examples are not true. But I don't know.

And belief should not be substituted for knowledge. That's the domain of the theist.

I like it when scientists who are atheist say they just dont give theism any attention because it doesnt deserve any. I dig what they are saying and that's probably the most politically correct position to have. I guess I'm a militant atheist but only because I truly believe overall religion sucks. I know it does a lot of good but where there are pros there are cons. Isis for example.

If I make a statement that I believe is true without solid evidence, then yes you can make the claim I have made a faith based statement.

For instance, to say "I believe in God" is not a statement that inherits Christianity.

However, theism is not a religion, nor does it have a religious structure by itself..

What then do you consider to be religion? What would be the attributes of a religion?

Is atheism faith based or is there plenty of evidence humans made up god? I say there's enough evidence a grand jury would take it to trial.

Forum List

Back