Former Officer Kim Potter To Be Charged With 2nd Degree Manslaughter

"Sources tell 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that the Washington County Attorney's Office will charge former Brooklyn Center Police Officer Kim Potter with second-degree manslaughter on Wednesday in the death of Daunte Wright. The Washington County Attorney's Office is handling the case at the request of the Hennepin County Attorney's Office so that there would be no potential conflict of interest."

This is actually great news for those who felt the officer did nothing wrong... because it is highly unlikely that any person who makes it onto that jury would find her guilty of 2nd degree manslaughter.....at best, she should have been sent back to "How To Tell My Taser From My Gun" retraining.....and then promoted to Captain.
???
Manslaughter is appropriate because she shot and killed someone using the TASER procedure of warning, not the procedure for warning with a loaded gun before firing.

If she had followed police procedure for warning and firing a weapon to disable someone, or shooting to kill according to law enforcement procedures, then killing him in the process of established police procedures would be his fault for not following orders and not complying with the procedures.

So accidentally killing someone by negligence in botching the procedures is either negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter, depending on local laws.

This is closer to the case of Amber Guyger shooting Botham Jean to death by negligence. But she admitted she shot to kill so she got murder charges and conviction.

In this case it was negligence, but no intent to kill. Negligent homicide and involuntary manslaughter would apply, depending on state laws that vary in definition and application.

Part of the reason this man fled was the warrant against him was serious, and he was facing detention that could keep him in jail for months while his case is pending.

It wasn't just fear of being profiled or abused by police.

If you add this factor into the equation, it skews people's perception and judgment.

If you take it out, and only look at the officer's actions, where she warned everyone that a TASER would be used but instead pulled a loaded gun and shot him in the chest or heart, that is negligent and resulted in homicide or manslaughter.

Police like any other profession are allowed some room for error where you can correct the problems caused. If a high speed car chase causes death or damage, you blame the person evading arrest if it was warranted and the chase was within policy.

Here this wasn't policy but the officer made a physical error. Had it cost damage to property, the police would have to pay the owners. Here, the mistake cost this man his life.

Had the officer used the TASER correctly and it still killed or injured him, it could still be damages owed if the TASER malfunctioned.

It was still his responsible for evading arrest, and having a warrant out. Had he turned himself in before this, he could have prevented this far in advance.

But shooting the gun was not the legal procedure, so that isn't the same as using legal force and the person agreeing to take the risk.

Had he been armed, yes he takes the risk of armed confrontation and dying.

At the point where he was evading, unless you count the warrant for robbery and assault as "proof that he imposes a deadly threat" (this was just a warrant not a conviction that can be used as proof), even the officer determined TASER use was appropriate. If a gun was all they had to stop him at that point, they would shoot his tires or at worst his leg to stop him, and that would require different verbal warnings.

It was an inexcusable error, but I do believe she just stressed out and blew it. Maybe a lack of sleep. Anybody hear how long she'd been on her shift? You could tell from her reaction that she knew she F'd up bigly. There should be consequences, but I'd rather not see her do any prison time. Community service?

duante-wright-potter.jpg

"Sources tell 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that the Washington County Attorney's Office will charge former Brooklyn Center Police Officer Kim Potter with second-degree manslaughter on Wednesday in the death of Daunte Wright. The Washington County Attorney's Office is handling the case at the request of the Hennepin County Attorney's Office so that there would be no potential conflict of interest."

This is actually great news for those who felt the officer did nothing wrong... because it is highly unlikely that any person who makes it onto that jury would find her guilty of 2nd degree manslaughter.....at best, she should have been sent back to "How To Tell My Taser From My Gun" retraining.....and then promoted to Captain.
Yes. Another felon sent to HELL is no big deal.

It was an inexcusable error, but I do believe she just stressed out and blew it. Maybe a lack of sleep. Anybody hear how long she'd been on her shift? You could tell from her reaction that she knew she F'd up bigly. There should be consequences, but I'd rather not see her do any prison time. Community service?

duante-wright-potter.jpg
Those who resist arrest suffer the consequences--Chief Parker.

Like I said in an earlier post,, thousands of people die each year because of medical malpractice in other words the Doctor made a mistake, Tell me how many doctors are charged with manslaughter? The officer should should not be charged with a criminal offense I have no problem with a civil case being brought up against her.
How much money do officers pay a year in malpractice insurance??

Oh wait!

What does that have to do with criminal charges being brought against a doctor? Malpractice is for civil lawsuits.

The cities pay insurance for their employees for civil charges as well.

The powers-that-be were too cowardly NOT to charge her with anything.

As we saw last year, the mobs run this country now.

Wow! What a perversion of the dreams that we had in the 1960s.

Like I said in an earlier post,, thousands of people die each year because of medical malpractice in other words the Doctor made a mistake, Tell me how many doctors are charged with manslaughter? The officer should should not be charged with a criminal offense I have no problem with a civil case being brought up against her.

Oh wait!

What does that have to do with criminal charges being brought against a doctor? Malpractice is for civil lawsuits.

Doctors can go to jail too bro....

Any other excuses you plan on using to justify the death of unarmed people??

We all know you support shooting young blacks on sight and allowing cops to become Judge, Jury and Executioner.
Kid had expired tags because the state is way behind getting new ones out.
But you don't care - If ya black - It's a death sentence! :rolleyes:

We all know you support shooting young blacks on sight and allowing cops to become Judge, Jury and Executioner.
Kid had expired tags because the state is way behind getting new ones out.
But you don't care - If ya black - It's a death sentence! :rolleyes:
The effing PUNK was NOT some kind of choirboy. He was an armed robber, was known to have a weapon that wasn't registered and THAT is why he had a warrant for his arrest. The dumbass thought he could hop back in his car and just... leave... The thing is when cops are in the process of cuffing you, breaking away, and turning your back on them tends to make them wonder what your intentions are. IMO, the cop was going above and beyond by even considering non-lethal. The poor wee lamb literally died of STUPID.

Oh wait!

Doctors can go to jail too bro....

Any other excuses you plan on using to justify the death of unarmed people??

Where have I justified this person's death? Where did I say doctors couldn't go to jail? I asked you what criminal charges had to do with malpractice insurance. Not my fault you can't read or you can read but want to divert the subject.

More like 700,000 if you count drugs and medications that cause deaths.

I am citing research by PDMP
www.ppcwebsite.org
Don McCormick

duante-wright-potter.jpg
I don't think community service is good enough. She needs time behind bars for true justice to be blind.

duante-wright-potter.jpg

She is a trained professional, if she is guilty, she needs to serve time. She took a life.

Did her actions directly culminate in the slaughter of a man?

Two mistakes were made. Both fatal.

Potter killed Wright.

Wright resisted arrest.

If Wright had complied with officer commands, he would still be alive.

If Potter had taken heed of her training, he would still be alive.
I was looking for a yes or no response, but thanks anyway.

from earlier: Did her actions directly culminate in the slaughter of a man?

Did her actions directly culminate in the slaughter of a man?

Two mistakes were made. Both fatal.

Potter killed Wright.

Wright resisted arrest.

If Wright had complied with officer commands, he would still be alive.

If Potter had taken heed of her training, he would still be alive.
I was looking for a yes or no response, but thanks anyway.

from earlier: Did her actions directly culminate in the slaughter of a man?

I'm sorry you can't handle the answer. Noted.

Now read the last line of my post again. What does it imply?

Forum List

Back