forget mars we should colonize venus!

jodylee

Jan 26, 2007
Very Interesting lecture.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQB0WqOahc[/ame]

The temperature is a bit hostile too. Mars is still harsh, but the conditions are much easier to adapt to then those on Venus.

Not that either will happen anytime soon. But if you're gonna have a goal....it ain't Venus.

Under Obama, NASA's new mission is to be kind toward Islam and point all satellites toward Mecca 5 times a day

Both the construction of artificial biospheres and\or the terraforming of Mars are infinitely easier.

The necessary technology to build artificial structures designed to sustain life in Venus won't be around for the next two centuries.

Terraforming the whole planet would be even worse, a total nightmare. The amount of techno-scientific knowledge, money and work needed to turn the hellish greenhouse into a habitaple place almost ensures it will continue to belong in the realm of science fiction.

Only a political will of iron would get the job done in the far future.

Well, mars has it´s problem too.

The major handicap with this planet is that it doesn´t have magnetic field. So he can´t keep a thick atmosphere because the solar storm blows it constantly away.

a soloution could probably be a kind of planet-wide roof of foil or membrane. THis isn´t so absurd:

the nobel-price winners in physics in this year discoverd a new kind of carbon. It´s a regular net of carbon molecules, only one molecule length thick. If you produce three squarefeet of this material, you can pick up a cat with it, so solid is it.

When you remark then, that the atmosphere of mars is carbone dioxide means that, that you have enoug carbon on the planet for this project.

Last edited:
hi

the air pressure on venus is so high, that every probe which was sendet to got killed after a few minutes. No, the Venus is the wrong way.

you obviously didnt watch the lecture, at 50 km above the ground the pressure is exacty the same as earths and the temperature is 20c. meaning we could live in venuses attmosphere

The temperature is a bit hostile too. Mars is still harsh, but the conditions are much easier to adapt to then those on Venus.

Not that either will happen anytime soon. But if you're gonna have a goal....it ain't Venus.

venus should be first, Not only is it closer and about the same size as earth there is a band of the atmospher which we could arive at and walk out of the space ship with just breathing apperatus 50 km up, the sweet spot. also it has lots and lots of heat(energy) at the surface and what is needed to turn co2 into o2, energy. we could lower a steam or stearling engine into the lower atmospher and create oxygen at will. and above all mars is cold, we cant even be bothered with antartica so why mars?

i think a solid ground under my feet should be the absolutely basic standard for any new home....

Air floats in Venuses atmosphere, according to the video has half the lifting power of helium and a 400m diameter balloon would lift enough for a floating base, with solid ground.

i think a solid ground under my feet should be the absolutely basic standard for any new home....

LOL, Mr.

The lecturer and jodylee are clearly conflating two entirely different concepts: space exploration and space colonisation.

Upper atmosphere research/exploration is ok but UPPER ATMOSPHERE COLONISATION!!!! :eek: :lol: :eek: :lol: :eek: :lol: :eek:

This kind of thing is the main reason I would want to live for a very long time; I'm so curious where we are going to end up as far as space travel is concerned. I'm a fan of sci-fi and I've long wished I could know if any of the authors I've read have been at all close in their depictions of future human travel and colonization.

really?? Colonize the AIR. I would like to see how you want to manage that. A balloon is not the most efficient way of elevating a colony and god forbid a downward current hits and you get crushed before returning to the 'sweet' spot.

hi

the air pressure on venus is so high, that every probe which was sendet to got killed after a few minutes. No, the Venus is the wrong way.

you obviously didnt watch the lecture, at 50 km above the ground the pressure is exacty the same as earths and the temperature is 20c. meaning we could live in venuses attmosphere

Get outta town. :lol:

We can't live floating around in our own atmosphere, which isn't full of corrosive sulfur based compounds and the consistency of pea soup above and below this theorized "sweet spot". Sending in probes and satellites is one thing, and should be done. But living there?

Even if we had the technology to keep anything you could call a colony afloat within the Venutian atmosphere and stable enough to never, ever leave this one small band, which we don't and won't for a very, very long time, we don't have the metallurgy skills to create materials light enough to transport there yet strong enough to fight off corrosion on insertion or, for lack of a better term, turbulence. There is absolutely zero indication of anything there we could use on-site, what about the problems and expense of continual resupply? .How would this colony be assembled, spacewalks? People in any sort of getup that enables them to survive in that environment should the orbit be one km above or below this Goldilocks layer, should it actually exist and be stable enough to levitate a colony within long-term, wouldn't be able to move. Or do you think we can launch and transport an entire colony fully assembled and ready to function that stays in one place and never needs repairs?

Most important, what would be the benefit of colonizing the upper atmosphere of a planet we could never live on and that has nothing we can use?

Sorry, but your lecturer is nuts.

Last edited:
It's pretty stupid to want to colonize a planet that is closer to the sun than earth.

Think about it. if the whole idea of colonizing other planets is the future survivability of the human race, why would we spend trillions of dollars to colonize a planet that will get swallowed up by the sun as it expands in its death throes sooner than will earth?

Forum List

Back