Food commodity prices coming down over the summer

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
Some welcomed good news for those not opposed to good news.

The price of wheat, corn and other commodities that make up the basis for much of the world’s food supply fell sharply over the summer.

It’s a welcome signal for consumers dealing with high grocery bills and investors hoping to see inflation loosen its grip on the broader economy. Wheat prices are down roughly 40% and corn prices have slipped about 25% since the spring.

“It should help, it’s just a question of how long that is sustainable,” said Tom Martin, senior portfolio manager with Globalt Investments. “As we slow down, and the economy seems generally to be slower, you get less inflationary pressures.”

Surging food and energy prices have fueled the hottest inflation in four decades this year. Steady demand combined with constricted supplies started inflation on its upward path. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February worsened things by choking off production and exports of wheat and other crops, along with oil and natural gas.

Now prices are falling as supply and demand start to balance out amid the global economic slowdown. Ukraine and Russia have reached a deal on grain exports, helping to further ease global supply shortages. Ukraine exports roughly 10% of the world’s wheat and corn.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture forecasts higher wheat production this year and the potential for a record soybean harvest.

It is good news, and you can see in this thread how many people that pisses off.

For the past year, Republicans have been planning on running on high gas prices and inflation

Now they have to run on their record which is banning abortion, opposing infrastructure, fighting environmental and labor laws.

It is good news, and you can see in this thread how many people that pisses off.
I'd be tickled to death if I saw a decrease here but I just called the co-op and corn is .26 cents more for 50# than I paid for it around two weeks ago. They cite increased transport costs.

Maybe your is a lagging indicator as it pertains to commodity prices?

How many?

I see exactly two posters that are not sharing your rosy view of the Biden economy. Ok, three now.

This thread will fall flat, because you're addressing real people who go to the grocery store and to restaurants and know what is happening with food prices. The "welcome signal" they need is actual lower prices on the shelf.

But diesel isn't down any at all.
Funny, I noticed that just yesterday. Diesel is more than a dollar more per gallon, and not coming down.

Golfing Gator, can you keep us posted on how much food prices go down in spite of that? Take some pictures on the bread isle, for example, of prices today and prices next Friday.

I'd be tickled to death if I saw a decrease here but I just called the co-op and corn is .26 cents more for 50# than I paid for it around two weeks ago. They cite increased transport costs.

Maybe your is a lagging indicator as it pertains to commodity prices?

Or maybe your Co-Op is ripping you off.

I see exactly two posters that are not sharing your rosy view of the Biden economy. Ok, three now.

I made no comment at all about the Biden economy.

Please find where I mentioned Biden.

Please find where my source mentioned Biden

Golfing Gator, can you keep us posted on how much food prices go down in spite of that?

My thread is about commodity prices, do at least try and keep up with the topic of a thread just once.

My thread is about commodity prices, do at least try and keep up with the topic of a thread just once.
I can't say I experienced it 1st hand but I'm hearing at the morning eatery that this year has been a great one for hay but the price is almost double due to the harvest costs.....In the drought stricken areas (even if they have water) they are reducing herds because they can't afford to bring in hay to feed them due to the transport costs.

I can't say I experienced it 1st hand but I'm hearing at the morning eatery that this year has been a great one for hay but the price is almost double due to the harvest costs.....In the drought stricken areas (even if they have water) they are reducing herds because they can't afford to bring in hay to feed them due to the transport costs.

Take it up with the folks at the Morning Ag Clips then.

Take it up with the folks at the Morning Ag Clips then.
Folks seem to forget that hay is a very important commodity, maybe not as important as say corn, wheat, or soy but it damn sure affects meat prices.

LOL.....Then again the leftists would put the rest of us on a soy diet if they could get away with it while they are at Charlie Palmer Steak or The Capital Grille enjoying a prime Porterhouse on a donor's dime. ;)

Forum List

Back