Folk....

Thanks... I'm a bluegrass folk festival hound dog... I take my motorhome and camp out at as many as I can...
Can't wait to hear some of your favorites....
I have so many…and I love bluegrass as well. There is a kind of combined genre of folk/traditional/blue grass that I enjoy :)

This just came up on my YouTube stream, it is one of my favorite “tradiational” songs. There are two versions I love, I’ll post them both. The first is the Kingston Trio, the second Karla Bonoff.

I just saw Steve Poltz he does a really good show... He had me going from laughing to crying and back again.... great talent if you ever get a chance to see him... Run don't walk...

When I lived in tbe DC area, we had a great radio show hosted by Dick Cerry called Music Americana, and I got introduced to so much good music through them. One of the groups was a Maine group, Schooner Fare. They (along with Gordon Lightfoot, Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger) are among those who I was blessed to see live.

Here are two of them:

We the People (Impossible not to be stirred)

Mary Ellen Carter (perserverence and love)

Solas
They made an album called “Shamrock City” that followed the history of Irish immigration to Butte, Montana and the story of one particular ancestor. Apparently so many Irish immigrated to work in tbe mines Butte earned the nickname “Shamrock City”.

These are two of my favorites from that album.

Between God and the Devil

No Forgotten Man

I REALLY like this!
I thought you would like that... I saw them at a festival near Santa Barbara I think it was called Live Oak music festival... It was in the 90's and they arrived late but they played anyway... they did that whole album and then some... the guy on the accordion is very talented... They jammed till 1:30 AM....

Mining has inspired some good folk songs…especially from WV ;)

Some of my favorites:

Kathy Mattea - Coal Tattoo

Black Lilies - Gold and Roses

I REALLY like this!
Funny story... this was a time when CD's were new... I didn't have a player but I bought their CD anyway and then saved up for a player... I went to a public radio auction and bid on a Sony player... I probably paid too much but it was for a good cause... I wore that CD out....

Funny story... this was a time when CD's were new... I didn't have a player but I bought their CD anyway and then saved up for a player... I went to a public radio auction and bid on a Sony player... I probably paid too much but it was for a good cause... I wore that CD out....
If you can wear out a CD, that is indeed a good cause! I’m going to order one of their CD’s :)

So…I also like songs that paint a picture of a place or way of life, in some cases something that is no longer there.

I’m not sure if this first one classifies as folk or something else? Probably folk rock? :dunno:

Band of Heathans - Hurricane

John Anderson - Seminole Wind
This one is haunting…

Forum List

Back