Florida Minimum Wage To Increase, Biden's is no different.

When I started working when I was 16 in 1996, minimum wage was $4.25 and hour. It sure skyrocketed in the last 20 years. Something isn't adding up.
What isn't adding up is that minimum wage has not kept up with the cost of living since it was implemented. Instead of wage growth the federal government has been subsidizing low wages with food stamps and other programs.

I would say it has more to do with inflation and the FED cooking the books and printing more and more money, devaluing the dollar. Welfare is another problem also.
Energy, food, medical, shelter. These mandatory expenses have grown faster than even the figure the government uses to chart the cost of living. Just so happens that the people who control these vital areas of the economy are growing their wealth at an ever accelerating rate with no corresponding wage growth. It's not the government. It's American capitalism.

Georgia
Applicable to employers of 6 or more employees

Basic Minimum Rate (per hour): $5.15

The State law excludes from coverage any employment that is subject to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act when the federal rate is greater than the State rate.

Employers subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act must pay the current Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

----------------------------------------
Montana
Business with gross annual sales of more than $110,000

Basic Minimum Rate (per hour): $8.75

Premium Pay After Designated Hours 1 :
Weekly - 40

Business not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act with gross annual sales of $110,000 or less

Basic Minimum Rate (per hour): $4.00

Weekly - 40

A business not covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act whose gross annual sales are $110,000 or less may pay $4.00 per hour. However, if an individual employee is producing or moving goods between states or otherwise covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, that employee must be paid the greater of either the federal minimum wage or Montana's minimum wage.

The minimum wage is adjusted annually based on a set formula.

When I started working when I was 16 in 1996, minimum wage was $4.25 and hour. It sure skyrocketed in the last 20 years. Something isn't adding up.
What isn't adding up is that minimum wage has not kept up with the cost of living since it was implemented. Instead of wage growth the federal government has been subsidizing low wages with food stamps and other programs.

I would say it has more to do with inflation and the FED cooking the books and printing more and more money, devaluing the dollar. Welfare is another problem also.
Energy, food, medical, shelter. These mandatory expenses have grown faster than even the figure the government uses to chart the cost of living. Just so happens that the people who control these vital areas of the economy are growing their wealth at an ever accelerating rate with no corresponding wage growth. It's not the government. It's American capitalism.

What do you mean? Most of our jobs and factories got sent overseas thanks to Kissinger. It sure isn't capitalism of the little guy creating these problems but the big monopolized corporations. We have a Corporatocracy not a capitalist society. It is harder then hell to be an entrepreneur in the US anymore because a few big corporations have taken over everything.

What do you mean? Most of our jobs and factories got sent overseas thanks to Kissinger. It sure isn't capitalism of the little guy creating these problems but the big monopolized corporations. We have a Corporatocracy not a capitalist society. It is harder then hell to be an entrepreneur in the US anymore because a few big corporations have taken over everything.
That's because most conservatives are certain what is good for the "job creators" is good for everyone and think capitalism is the same thing as free enterprise.

Florida Minimum Wage To Increase

Thursday, December 31, 2020

However, this will not be the only minimum wage increase for 2021. In November, Florida voters passed a Constitutional Amendment which will gradually raise the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour by 2026. Specifically, the state minimum wage will increase each September as follows:

$10.00 on September 30, 2021;

$11.00 on September 30, 2022;

$12.00 on September 30, 2023;

$13.00 on September 30, 2024;

$14.00 on September 30, 2025; and

$15.00 on September 30, 2026.

On September 30 of each year after 2026, Florida’s minimum wage will again be subject to annual increases based upon the percentage increase in the federal “Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers in the South Region.”

Florida Minimum Wage To Increase January 1, 2021 (natlawreview.com)

What is being proposed?

Mr. Biden in two recent speeches called for a $15-an-hour federal minimum wage, which requires action by Congress. A bill introduced by Democrats this week would increase the wage floor to $15 an hour four years after the new law’s effective date. The first increase to $9.50 an hour would occur the day a law becomes effective. Annual increases would follow until reaching $15 an hour, then the rate would be reviewed annually and adjusted based on changes to median hourly earnings of all employees.

What to Know About President Biden’s $15-an-Hour Minimum-Wage Plan - WSJ
---------------------------------------
What are republicans bitching about.
Biden's idea is idiotic-counterproductive. But Florida's idea doesn't make sense to me either. Giving automatic raises every year won't take into affect the unemployment rate, economic growth rate, wages which will obviously want to trend lower with the new invasion of so many illegal aliens, tax rates, inflation etc. etc. I know all the politicians want to state their intentions to get to 15 an hour eventually. But it would be better to take this one year at a time and base it on economic factors. Just enforcing our immigration laws would raise wages by unflooding our labor market. But because Democrats want to keep Americans poor, pissed off and dependent on government and they're salivating over the prospect of creating more of the same through an illegal alien invasion, the American worker will be the one making the sacrifice and paying the price. My hometown hardware store will fold for sure. Biden and his Democrat followers are economic idiots.

Employers Who Are Covered
The FLSA applies only to employers whose annual sales total $500,000 or more or who are engaged in interstate commerce.

You might think that this would restrict the FLSA to covering only employees in large companies, but, in reality, the law covers nearly all workplaces. This is because the courts have interpreted the term interstate commerce very broadly. For example, courts have ruled that companies that regularly use the U.S. mail to send or receive letters to and from other states are engaged in interstate commerce. Even the fact that employees use company telephones or computers to place or accept interstate business calls or take orders has subjected an employer to the FLSA.
Who is Covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act? | Nolo

The FED cooking the books sounds like another unproven Qanon conspiracy. :icon_rolleyes:
But yes, raising the min will save a lot of money on welfare payments.
Want to Cut Food Stamp Spending? Raise the Minimum Wage | OurFuture.org by People's Action

Florida Minimum Wage To Increase

Thursday, December 31, 2020

However, this will not be the only minimum wage increase for 2021. In November, Florida voters passed a Constitutional Amendment which will gradually raise the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour by 2026. Specifically, the state minimum wage will increase each September as follows:

$10.00 on September 30, 2021;

$11.00 on September 30, 2022;

$12.00 on September 30, 2023;

$13.00 on September 30, 2024;

$14.00 on September 30, 2025; and

$15.00 on September 30, 2026.

On September 30 of each year after 2026, Florida’s minimum wage will again be subject to annual increases based upon the percentage increase in the federal “Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers in the South Region.”

Florida Minimum Wage To Increase January 1, 2021 (natlawreview.com)

What is being proposed?

Mr. Biden in two recent speeches called for a $15-an-hour federal minimum wage, which requires action by Congress. A bill introduced by Democrats this week would increase the wage floor to $15 an hour four years after the new law’s effective date. The first increase to $9.50 an hour would occur the day a law becomes effective. Annual increases would follow until reaching $15 an hour, then the rate would be reviewed annually and adjusted based on changes to median hourly earnings of all employees.

What to Know About President Biden’s $15-an-Hour Minimum-Wage Plan - WSJ
---------------------------------------
What are republicans bitching about.
florida took it upon themselves....xiden not involved...whats your point?

Georgia
Applicable to employers of 6 or more employees

Basic Minimum Rate (per hour): $5.15

The State law excludes from coverage any employment that is subject to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act when the federal rate is greater than the State rate.

Employers subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act must pay the current Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

----------------------------------------
Montana
Business with gross annual sales of more than $110,000

Basic Minimum Rate (per hour): $8.75

Weekly - 40

Business not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act with gross annual sales of $110,000 or less

Basic Minimum Rate (per hour): $4.00

Weekly - 40

A business not covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act whose gross annual sales are $110,000 or less may pay $4.00 per hour. However, if an individual employee is producing or moving goods between states or otherwise covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, that employee must be paid the greater of either the federal minimum wage or Montana's minimum wage.

The minimum wage is adjusted annually based on a set formula.
"The minimum wage is adjusted annually based on a set formula "
really? it has been 7.25 for how long? annually, huh?

The FED cooking the books sounds like another unproven Qanon conspiracy. :icon_rolleyes:
Want to Cut Food Stamp Spending? Raise the Minimum Wage | OurFuture.org by People's Action
as long as food prices stay the same but they will raise along with the min wage.

as long as food prices stay the same but they will raise along with the min wage.
Where is it written that one 40 hour a week job is supposed to pay all of a person's expenses?

The only reason more people are on food stamps is because it's easier than ever to qualify for welfare

Can you work and live on 7.25??
minimum wage is supposed to be for people getting out of HS and getting their first job...its not supposed to be to buy a house and raise a family....

minimum wage is supposed to be for people getting out of HS and getting their first job...its not supposed to be to buy a house and raise a family....
Clearly not the case is it.

Were that true the number of people affected would be so small as to be irrelevant.

Forum List

Back