Florida Minimum Wage To Increase, Biden's is no different.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Florida Minimum Wage To Increase

Thursday, December 31, 2020

However, this will not be the only minimum wage increase for 2021. In November, Florida voters passed a Constitutional Amendment which will gradually raise the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour by 2026. Specifically, the state minimum wage will increase each September as follows:

$10.00 on September 30, 2021;

$11.00 on September 30, 2022;

$12.00 on September 30, 2023;

$13.00 on September 30, 2024;

$14.00 on September 30, 2025; and

$15.00 on September 30, 2026.

On September 30 of each year after 2026, Florida’s minimum wage will again be subject to annual increases based upon the percentage increase in the federal “Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers in the South Region.”

Florida Minimum Wage To Increase January 1, 2021 (natlawreview.com)

What is being proposed?

Mr. Biden in two recent speeches called for a $15-an-hour federal minimum wage, which requires action by Congress. A bill introduced by Democrats this week would increase the wage floor to $15 an hour four years after the new law’s effective date. The first increase to $9.50 an hour would occur the day a law becomes effective. Annual increases would follow until reaching $15 an hour, then the rate would be reviewed annually and adjusted based on changes to median hourly earnings of all employees.

What to Know About President Biden’s $15-an-Hour Minimum-Wage Plan - WSJ
---------------------------------------
What are republicans bitching about.

Why not just raise it to $100 an hour?

The problem with making it so high, is small businesses won't be able to compete and many businesses will lay off workers because they won't be able to afford as many workers unless it is some place like Wal-Mart or Target. Which pay their workers close to that already. Also, businesses will be less likely to higher high school students or college students. It will make it even harder for them to find a job. The prices of merchandise and food will also go up.

It may be good in the short term but the good part of it won't last to long at all.

When I started working when I was 16 in 1996, minimum wage was $4.25 and hour. It sure skyrocketed in the last 20 years. Something isn't adding up.

The problem with making it so high, is small businesses won't be able to compete and many businesses will lay off workers because they won't be able to afford as many workers unless it is some place like Wal-Mart or Target. Which pay their workers close to that already. Also, businesses will be less likely to higher high school students or college students. It will make it even harder for them to find a job. The prices of merchandise and food will also go up.

It may be good in the short term but the good part of it won't last to long at all.
The issue is Florida is doing it, why not let it be the federal gov.

When I started working when I was 16 in 1996, minimum wage was $4.25 and hour. It sure skyrocketed in the last 20 years. Something isn't adding up.

Can you work and live on 7.25??

The issue is Florida is doing it, why not let it be the federal gov.

We don't want to give the Feds any more power then they already have. Like Blues Man said, it should be up to the states.

What isn't adding up is that minimum wage has not kept up with the cost of living since it was implemented. Instead of wage growth the federal government has been subsidizing low wages with food stamps and other programs.

Minimum wage is a state issue not a federal government issue

Its a federal gov issue.
No it's not.

There is no one size fits all.
Want a bet. There is no size fits all your right, if florida can do it, why can't MI.

Why should the federal government force MI to do what FL does?

Let the people who live in MI make their own decisions

Its called the Federal Min Wage for naught.

What isn't adding up is that minimum wage has not kept up with the cost of living since it was implemented. Instead of wage growth the federal government has been subsidizing low wages with food stamps and other programs.

I would say it has more to do with inflation and the FED cooking the books and printing more and more money, devaluing the dollar. Welfare is another problem also.

Its a federal gov issue.
No it's not.

Want a bet. There is no size fits all your right, if florida can do it, why can't MI.

Michigan don't have oranges. :D

I hear Florida does.

Have you ever gone Orange picking in Florida?:D

Its a federal gov issue.
No it's not.

Why should the federal government force MI to do what FL does?

Let the people who live in MI make their own decisions

Its called the Federal Min Wage for naught.
So what?

Most states already have a MW higher than the federal MW. There is no need for the federal government to tell states what MW should be as they can clearly make their own decisions

Forum List

Back