Finally, a Libertarian Utopia!

Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I invite all of USMB's libertoids to flee to the islands.

3496050729_4a1937df92_m.jpg

Looks like a death trap to me. Too low. Top heavy.

Too big a storm and things could turn over real quick.

MV5BMTIwOTMwODM2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDY5NjU3._V1._SY317_.jpg

Eh... It will be a failed experiment. Can't grow Crops on a oil rig. so they are going to have to trade with some mainland for food, fuel for their generators, etc.

No one said that a "libertarian paradise" would be self-supporting. Last time I checked, Libertarians were big on trade.

Additionally, you do not have all your facts correct. You can grow crops on an "oil rig". It really not hard to build a state of an art greenhouse on a large ship if you have the capital.

Really? What is going to be their chief export? A smug sense of superiority?

No, you still lead in exporting that with no close challengers.

I am currently in the process of recruiting pirates, brigands, former Marines, Army Rangers, and other badasses for a little "hostile takeover" if this thing ever gets established. I hope they invest in some security, and I hope they are better shots than my crew.

Of course, they shouldn't rely on the U.S. to bail them out once we start tossing people into the ocean.

The nice thing about this? International waters and within the borders of another "sovereign" nation. Good luck prosecuting me!

Why would you do that?

Why not?

Easy pickings.

No one said that a "libertarian paradise" would be self-supporting. Last time I checked, Libertarians were big on trade.

Additionally, you do not have all your facts correct. You can grow crops on an "oil rig". It really not hard to build a state of an art greenhouse on a large ship if you have the capital.

No, you still lead in exporting that with no close challengers.

And my advice would be that there is no money in it. Export something else.

Eh... It will be a failed experiment. Can't grow Crops on a oil rig. so they are going to have to trade with some mainland for food, fuel for their generators, etc.

Unfortunately America maintains a comparative advantage in that.

Why not?

Easy pickings.

I dunno. Human decency?

Why don't you kill and rob your neighbors? Is it only because you might get caught?

*psssst*

I wouldn't really target the libertarian flotilla. Just making a point.

I get that every libertarian things that self defense is a worthy expense. However, our ability to defend ourselves is all tied up in our societal infrastructure and things that drive Libertarians insane. For example, until the DOD got desperate, soldiers had to have graduated from High School or got a GED. Why? Because an illiterate soldier is a burden to their squad. Being a soldier isn't about being a robot and that weapon comes with a manual that you'd better have read. Just one example of a thousand. These things are all interconnected.

In truth, I find the ideas to be very niave concepts that smart people latch onto like a fairy tale.

There is not enough defense this experiment could have to prevent someone ruthless enough from coming in and knocking the joint over.

Why not?

Easy pickings.

I dunno. Human decency?

Why don't you kill and rob your neighbors? Is it only because you might get caught?

*psssst*

Yeah... I got that. The point I hear all of you making is that freedom can never really prevail. Moreover, it seems that seeing it fail would feel like a sort of victory. I think some of you would take great satisfaction in seeing libertarians brought to their knees and dragged back into 'civilized' society in chains. Overly dramatic? Sure. But it seems to capture the kind of bitter resentment i'm seeing here.

I dunno. Human decency?

*psssst*

Yeah... I got that. The point I hear all of you making is that freedom can never really prevail. Moreover, it seems that seeing it fail would feel like a sort of victory. I think some of you would take great satisfaction in seeing libertarians brought to their knees and dragged back into 'civilized' society in chains. Overly dramatic? Sure. But it seems to capture the kind of bitter resentment i'm seeing here.

Speaking only for myself, I think Libertarians are retarded. There is nothing in the early writings of the founding fathers that changes my mind. If libertarianism was their goal, there would be no "united" states.

I dunno. Human decency?

*psssst*

Are you really deprived of your "freedom" right now? I mean, really? It seems to me that people use the inefficiencies in the system to make their points and suddenly the United States turns into Communist Russia.

Most libertarians are decent people. Actually, I don't think I've ever run into an obnoxious libertarian. I just find their world view to be somewhat Polly Annaish. Maybe it's because I thought "Atlas Shrugged" sucked. I don't know.

This "billionaire" was able to amass enough wealth in this country to entertain the thoughts of building his own country. Along the way, he obtained an education and through his hard work became fabulously wealthy. Good for him. Every step of the way he was protected by the Police and the Miltary and profited off of a society that is relatively functional and that manages to change leadership every four years or so in a bloodless coup.

I can anticipate the cries of "statist", but I don't get these protests of being deprived from "liberty" and "freedom".

In truth, after a while it kind of sounds like whining.

I love the idea.

It will prove just how well the "Magic" market works in real life.

Although this has aready been proven in history it will be much harder to deny when it fails with this little experiment.

Pity the fools .

How long will it take before they finally realize that we need the almighty state to lead us every step of the way.

As always, Heil Hitler.

An island? $1.25 million wouldn't float a party barge.
That's just one donation. I'd love to donate money to this project myself.

I thought you felt that Americans were taxed too little.Wouldn't it be better for the poor and downtrodden of our society thanks to the evil Republicans for you just to write a check with this extra money of yours to the Treasury Dept? :lol:

I love the idea.

Although this has aready been proven in history it will be much harder to deny when it fails with this little experiment.

Pity the fools .

How long will it take before they finally realize that we need the almighty state to lead us every step of the way.

As always, Heil Hitler.

See. This /\ is the shit I am talking about. So now we are roughly equivalent to a Facist government?

It's hard to take that seriously.

Are you really deprived of your "freedom" right now? I mean, really?

Sure. To a degree. And it's getting worse. How much worse should we let it get before it's ok to start 'whining'? Are you excited at the prospect of indebting all of us to insurance corporations from cradle to grave?

This "billionaire" was able to amass enough wealth in this country to entertain the thoughts of building his own country. Along the way, he obtained an education and through his hard work became fabulously wealthy. Good for him.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I'm not defending this nonsense. At best it IS, in fact, naive - at worst it's a scam preying on the gullible. I'm speaking up here because of the "isn't it cute that we've made the libertarians so miserable they're looking to escape" vibe throughout the thread. Seems like a particularly ugly form of gloating.

Last edited:
I love the idea.

Pity the fools .

As always, Heil Hitler.

See. This /\ is the shit I am talking about. So now we are roughly equivalent to a Facist government?

You misunderstood me. I did not see that we are" roughly equivalent to a Facist government?" I stated that WE ARE A FACIST GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to take that seriously.

You don't take anything seriously. Otherwise we wouldn't have a fascist government.

Sure. To a degree. And it's getting worse. How much worse should we let it get before it's ok to start 'whining'? Are you excited at the prospect of indebting all of us to insurance corporations from cradle to grave?

This "billionaire" was able to amass enough wealth in this country to entertain the thoughts of building his own country. Along the way, he obtained an education and through his hard work became fabulously wealthy. Good for him.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I'm not defending this nonsense. At best it IS, in fact, naive - at worst it's a scam preying on the gullible. I'm speaking up here because of the "isn't it cute that we've made the libertarians so miserable they're looking to escape" vibe throughout the thread. Seems like a particularly ugly form of gloating.

Well, we technically aren't gloating. I mean, it hasn't been tried yet. Remember how Bill Murrey said there are "two types of people in the world, those who like Neal Diamond and those who don't>.." Well, I think Ayn Rand is that way. So a lot of us like to poke fun at what is basically a floating "Gault's Gulch".

As for losing freedoms. I am thankful for the pressure valves. I don't see life in this country as being that bad. If most of the discontent is about taxes and the bills, then it could be worse. Not that that is supposed to be inspiring. But the fact that we can all whittle away our lives saying whatever the fuck we want means we got it pretty good.

"Human beings will be happier —not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie —but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia." Kurt Vonnegut

I find these ideas fascinating thought experiments, who would grow the food, distribute it, own it, or own the means of production? How would law work? Who would arbitrate disputes? Every communal society eventually fails, and all are dependent on external sources for various items. Look at the Amish as an example with potential.

The CG tells an interesting story below and an old thought experiment, both are OT but are related in certain aspects.

The Little Red Hen: A Closer look at a Conservative Fable | Conceptual Guerilla

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/88682-a-conservative-wakes-up.html

Last edited:

Well, we technically aren't gloating. I mean, it hasn't been tried yet. Remember how Bill Murrey said there are "two types of people in the world, those who like Neal Diamond and those who don't>.." Well, I think Ayn Rand is that way. So a lot of us like to poke fun at what is basically a floating "Gault's Gulch".

As for losing freedoms. I am thankful for the pressure valves. I don't see life in this country as being that bad. If most of the discontent is about taxes and the bills, then it could be worse. Not that that is supposed to be inspiring. But the fact that we can all whittle away our lives saying whatever the fuck we want means we got it pretty good.

What is this nonsense? You can be a libertarian and not be a fan of Ayn Rand.

Forum List

Back