Final before/after of current job.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Got the glass installed today as I finished stair treads in the living room.

20210809_082036.jpg
20210809_082106.jpg
20210809_082048.jpg
20210917_155000.jpg
20210917_155019.jpg
20210917_155032.jpg

• Banned
Nice work!!! Was this for a contract job?
Thank you. Yes, I mostly do bathroom renovations. Although this job they ended up having me stick around to do another bathroom, living room, kitchen and dining room.
Usually I'm long gone before the glass is done because they can't even make the templates until I'm done.

• Banned
For anyone curious I charged 5k labor on that room. And got a 600.00 tip.
Normally a room that small wouldn't be quite that high but if you look close at the before pics you can see the signs of water damage. When I pulled it all out the floor was rotted away.

My house came with one of those. I swear I am going to rip it out and put me a proper throne in one day.
My house also had a tiny toilet. For 13 years I bitched about it. Earlier this year I put in one of those expensive big bitches and I love it. I don't need a damn crutch to get off the thing anymore lol. Sometimes when my back & hip really start hurting that old toilet was a bitch to get up off of. Best home decision in years.

My house also had a tiny toilet. For 13 years I bitched about it. Earlier this year I put in one of those expensive big bitches and I love it. I don't need a damn crutch to get off the thing anymore lol. Sometimes when my back & hip really start hurting that old toilet was a bitch to get up off of. Best home decision in years.

Man who originally was the one that had my house built was short short. I assume it is the original from then. My work has those tall handicap accessible ones and they are awesome.

Man who originally was the one that had my house built was short short. I assume it is the original from then. My work has those tall handicap accessible ones and they are awesome.
14 inch toilets were the standard unfortunately. Almost every bathroom I do they want the 16 inch ones

For anyone curious I charged 5k labor on that room. And got a 600.00 tip.
Normally a room that small wouldn't be quite that high but if you look close at the before pics you can see the signs of water damage. When I pulled it all out the floor was rotted away.

Hey, Gramps, I'm in the process of shopping for a new condo. Anything I should be looking for in Bathrooms that would be a red flag. (Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting on the board.)

Hey, Gramps, I'm in the process of shopping for a new condo. Anything I should be looking for in Bathrooms that would be a red flag. (Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting on the board.)
1. Soft floors around toilets and tubs means rotten subfloor. Flush toilet and look for leaks between tank and bowl, connections & micro cracks.

2. Bulging tile, sheetrock or baseboards around showers can mean a possible pan leak.

3. White scummy looking residue inside on the (tiled)shower pan means it isn't draining properly.

4. Flakey paint on ceilings or high on walls means the fan isn't pushing enough air to evacuate the moisture. Higher cfm fan can fix.

5. Crust or residue on fixtures usually means hard water and or leaky valves depending on where the build up is.

6. You can step in a shower with tile to the floor and test if the walls are bad by putting your heel on the floor and your toes on the wall. Press your toes against the wall. If it moves then chances are high that the wall has absorbed water and the tile is essentially attached to mush. (also works on tub ledges)

7. Look at the outlets and make sure they are gfi outlets. Ment to protect from electrical shock in wet areas.

8. Knock on the base of the light fixture and see if it flickers. Bad wiring/connections.

9. Old school laminate is bad in bathrooms. New vinyl plank is 100% waterproof and ok.

10. Discolored traditional sheet vinyl doesn't mean water damage its just the old glue finally bleeding through the vinyl as it aged. Usually turns a yellowish or blueish color.

11. Ceramic tile is cheap and easily cracked. Look for porcelain or Natural Stone.

12. Marble with green or maroon veins absorb water so avoid.

Almost all old valves will leak if they haven't been turned off in years. Once turned the crust around the worn out rubber seals breaks away and leaks. So if you do and work be prepared to replace any shut off you touch. I always keep spares on hand. And don't be afraid to reuse the old nut and compression ring! Also don't be afraid to just cut it all off and use a sharkbite. In over 20 years I've never had a customer call me because one failed.

Also look at that first pic I posted. See the discoloration at the back of the tub along the wall tile? That's mold growing from behind the tile. Also the absurdly wide caulk along the back of the tub? Always a sign they've had water leak problems

Forum List

Back