Favorate Words Or Terms.

JW Frogen

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
One of my favorite terms is "Jumbo Jet."

JUMBO JET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear Richard Branson stole my life.

Still, I would have enough sense not to come out with Virgin Cola.

There was not enough whiskey in the world to purify that shit.

Emotion.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V87ZNemLyRk[/ame]

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Try telling your boss you're off sick with that!

Lot of that going around in Java right now, if I'm parcing the word's meaning properly.

Didn't somebody here just post their concerns that some volcano in Micronesia was about to blow?

And hasn't that already started, too?

People ask me, "Radio, What is best in life?"

I respond, "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women".

Last edited:
antidisestablishmentarianism:

the principles of those who oppose the with-drawal of the recognition or support of the state from an established church, usually used in referring to the Anglican church in the 19th century in England.

I don't know why, but I've always liked that word. Hardly ever get to use it.

the principles of those who oppose the with-drawal of the recognition or support of the state from an established church, usually used in referring to the Anglican church in the 19th century in England.

if you've used it at all, that's pretty good. lol.

I have. Once! I'm waiting for a further opportunity. :lol::lol:

I have. Once! I'm waiting for a further opportunity. :lol::lol:

good luck with that!

its still the longest 'non-coined' and non-technical word in the dictionary.

Longest word in English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

schadenfreude

deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others

Gotta hand it to the Germans.

They know how to take a confusing mental state concept and wrap it into a convenient single word.

Another word we owe them great credit for is
Zeitgeist (German pronunciation: [ˈtsaɪtɡaɪst] (
13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png
listen)) is "the
spirit of the times" or "the spirit of the age." [1] Zeitgeist is the general cultural, intellectual, ethical, spiritual, and/or political climate within a nation or even specific groups, along with the general ambience, morals, sociocultural direction or mood of an era.

The term zeitgeist is from German Zeit- 'time' (cognate with English tide and "time") and Geist- 'spirit' (cognate with English ghost, without being really translatable into English - this is why the German term is used).

source

Given the turbulant history the Germans had thanks first to the reformation, and then to its unification, and on to its passing affection for NAZIism, one can understand why they were the people to coin such a term to describe a collective consciousness.

This word is particularly interesting because it stands as a testament against the delusion that everything that matters has to do with INDIVIDUAL states of mind.

It must be a particualarly annoying concept to Randians, for example.

After all the more insane among that ilk do not believe that the concept of SOCIETY ITSELF is really describing anything real.

So to imagine that a society (that doesn't even exist) can also have a ZEITGEIST must be particularly confusing for those obviously confused people.

Forum List

Back