Fat Employee In Brazil Sues McDonald's And Wins

I quit smoking 11 years ago, I replaced cigarettes with trail mix and then I broke my leg, was off my feet for eight months, husband did the cooking. I gained a lot of weight.

The guy must have eaten a brazillion calories.

I was in Rio a few years ago. They eat tons of red meat. So much in fact..I was glad to get back so I could start consuming vegetables again. If this guy gained weight from eating McDonalds..damn..that's some really fattening food!:eek:

Ridiculous premise.

Did McDonalds force him to not go to the gym? Force him to not exercise? Force him to eat an entire meal instead of just taste it?

Ridiculous premise.

Did McDonalds force him to not go to the gym? Force him to not exercise? Force him to eat an entire meal instead of just taste it?

Nope.

But they did give him a job for 12 years and probably health insurance and periodic salary increases.

Those insidious bastards! :evil:

When there are likely no other jobs?

Yanno, the asbestos products only afflicted those workers who smoked. The particles were small, but in a non-smoker the tiny hairs (cilia) lining the nose and respiratory tract expelled them. What sunk the asbestos guys in court was, they knew for years about the risks and did not warn their employees...and that mesothelioma is a gruesome, deadly disease.

You can bet your bottom dollar, McDonald's knows each time they introduce a new food product how much weight gain it is likely to cause their employees and customers, by age, race, sex, income level, etc. Obesity is arguably as deadly as mesothelioma -- it just takes longer to kill.

stupid damn comparison. Each and every human has the capacity to put that food in his or her mouth or no. So you recommend that all resturaunts close their doors? Cause all food has to potential to make you fat. Let's sue the farmers and the grocers while we're at it. And the beef, and pig farmers too.

People did not have to smoke. They did not have to work for asbestos products manufacturers, ship builders, pipe fitters, etc. It seems to me you lay all responsibility on the worker, regardless of the manufacturer's ability to make a safer product.

Why not demand McDonald's sell healthier food?

Are there any workplace safety laws you think are reasonable, Willow?

There is a mechanism in place to FORCE McDonalds, or any other business, to sell what you want, it's called voting with your dollars. If fat asses weren't in McDonalds everyday getting their McGriddle on, you can bet McD's would sell other products.

FYI I have an uncle who is a regional manager for McDonalds he has worked for them for 30 years. He is 6 ' about 190 . McDs doesn't FORCE anyone to eat their fat and get fat.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Well, the guy did gain 65 lbs. :eusa_whistle:

I honestly have never heard that expression before and do not know what it means.

It means the wall will soon crumble, Father Time. I imagine every plaintiff's lawyer in the US has been salivating over this news since it broke. How hard would it be for any of us to find people who were made obese by eating this food?

Well, the guy did gain 65 lbs. :eusa_whistle:

I honestly have never heard that expression before and do not know what it means.

It means the wall will soon crumble, Father Time. I imagine every plaintiff's lawyer in the US has been salivating over this news since it broke. How hard would it be for any of us to find people who were made obese by eating this food?

You realize that what constitutes legal grounds to sue is probably different between Brazil and the U.S.

Either way they can't use this case as precedent in anywhere except Brazil.

You realize that what constitutes legal grounds to sue is probably different between Brazil and the U.S.

Either way they can't use this case as precedent in anywhere except Brazil.

Yes, I agree. But there's a saying in the law -- "Bad facts make bad law". If I were an enterprising young plaintiff's lawyer, I'd be casting about for a test case that would sail past even the most jaded contributors to this thread.

McDonald's sells poison disguised as food, and shoves it at the young and other vulnerable populations. Someday, this company will be killed for its greed unless it changes its evil ways.

Study shows kids hit with barrage of junk-food ads | cleveland.com

McDonald's sells poison disguised as food, and shoves it at the young and other vulnerable populations. Someday, this company will be killed for its greed unless it changes its evil ways.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

While the emboldened statement is true, kids initially cannot get junk food on their own. Their parents give it to them. Thus starts the trend, habit, addiction - whatever you want to call it.

Parents are the example in a young child's life. It is up to the parents to set up good, healthy eating habits and to lead by example. Kids hate hypocrites. Adults tend to say "do as I say, not as I do" and children lose respect for them.

McDonald's sells poison disguised as food, and shoves it at the young and other vulnerable populations. Someday, this company will be killed for its greed unless it changes its evil ways.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

While the emboldened statement is true, kids initially cannot get junk food on their own. Their parents give it to them. Thus starts the trend, habit, addiction - whatever you want to call it.

Parents are the example in a young child's life. It is up to the parents to set up good, healthy eating habits and to lead by example. Kids hate hypocrites. Adults tend to say "do as I say, not as I do" and children lose respect for them.

I am bumfuddled by people who are hypercritical of tobacco companies' attempts to target kids and yet overlook or excuse the very same misconduct in the fast food industry. After all, one cigarette never killed anyone either.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8iKgIOwV2c&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8iKgIOwV2c&feature=related[/ame]

Forum List

Back