Fat Employee In Brazil Sues McDonald's And Wins

It takes more money than buying them Xboxes and Wii's?
And a TV for their room?

All three of my kids bellyached because all their friends have tvs and computers in their rooms. Their parents are nuts, imo.

We have 3 tvs in the house (basement, family room, our bedroom) and 2 computers (our laptop is off limits for the kids). If they can't work around these then they are tough outta luck.

Okay then show me....how's it done?

She meant USE a CROCKPOT! Have dinner made when you get home!

*DUH*!

Sorry, Willow! Yes, planning meals makes a HUGE difference.

I have to say, I think if I were this Mommy I'd be tempted to restrict the kids' diet to a vegan one....I'd serve fish and eggs, but not meat. If your food budget is very small, meat is no bargain.

No but you can stretch it. The Japanese made it an artform.

And a TV for their room?

Let's say I have three kids under 12 and work as a secretary and make $25,000. Barely getting by. If I have a husband, it's likely he works long hours or that we deliberately work different schedules to avoid day care. So by say, 6 pm, I am home. I need to feed the family, oversee the kids' homework, clean house, etc. I have a crappy car (if any) and no extra money for gas, nevermind a gym membership.

How, exactly, do I arrange for the hour a day of hard charging these kids will need just to stay fit on a healthy diet -- or the two hours they'll need to burn off a high-fat and sugar diet?

I ain't a magician, yanno.

Spend a few hours on the weekend preparing the weeks meals. Freeze them so when you come home you just need to thaw-reheat. Keep fresh veggies/fruits on hand and there you go. It takes some thought and preparation but . . . . that's a parent's job.

As for the exercise, limit electronics time, arrange for friends to come over, go to the park and play catch, blah, blah, blah. Cripes there's a million ways to get in exercise without breaking the bank time-wise. Little things add up and if they aren't eating a sugar-and-crap diet they'll be fine.

Sometimes there is no park, no fresh food even in the groceries and it's 20 degrees below or 110 degrees above outside. Sometimes there are air quality warnings and random street crime that makes staying indoors necessary.

I'm not making excuses for everyone, Zoom-boing. Clearly, most could do better -- but not all. And it is precisely this urban poor population that McDonald's targets the hardest.

And a TV for their room?

All three of my kids bellyached because all their friends have tvs and computers in their rooms. Their parents are nuts, imo.

We have 3 tvs in the house (basement, family room, our bedroom) and 2 computers (our laptop is off limits for the kids). If they can't work around these then they are tough outta luck.

I think parents of minors who allow their kids to have computers in their bedrooms may as well leave their front doors open. I cannot imagine what the hell these Mommies and Daddies are thinking.

For little kids, IMO a tv is not appropriate just because who doesn't want to point out what the kid just saw ain't his family's values occassionally?

Let's say I have three kids under 12 and work as a secretary and make $25,000. Barely getting by. If I have a husband, it's likely he works long hours or that we deliberately work different schedules to avoid day care. So by say, 6 pm, I am home. I need to feed the family, oversee the kids' homework, clean house, etc. I have a crappy car (if any) and no extra money for gas, nevermind a gym membership.

How, exactly, do I arrange for the hour a day of hard charging these kids will need just to stay fit on a healthy diet -- or the two hours they'll need to burn off a high-fat and sugar diet?

I ain't a magician, yanno.

Spend a few hours on the weekend preparing the weeks meals. Freeze them so when you come home you just need to thaw-reheat. Keep fresh veggies/fruits on hand and there you go. It takes some thought and preparation but . . . . that's a parent's job.

As for the exercise, limit electronics time, arrange for friends to come over, go to the park and play catch, blah, blah, blah. Cripes there's a million ways to get in exercise without breaking the bank time-wise. Little things add up and if they aren't eating a sugar-and-crap diet they'll be fine.

Sometimes there is no park, no fresh food even in the groceries and it's 20 degrees below or 110 degrees above outside. Sometimes there are air quality warnings and random street crime that makes staying indoors necessary.

I'm not making excuses for everyone, Zoom-boing. Clearly, most could do better -- but not all. And it is precisely this urban poor population that McDonald's targets the hardest.

And sometimes is sometimes, not all the time. McDonalds on occasion (when the above happens) is fine. The rest of the time? Nope.

Last edited:
I think your OP here is going to open up a floodgate of unsympathetic, intolerant, rude, nasty comments from folks who never had a weight problem in their life, don't understand what a weight problem is and don't care in the least about those who have them.

That's what I think.

(Hi Madeline!)

Sorry dude, I've had a weight battle most of my adult life and for the most part have been winning, it was a personal choice I made. I have no sympathy whatsoever for the employee who should have known the possibility of losing self control working in said place of business and honestly think the judge should be tarred and feathered before being run out of town on a rail alongside said employee. So don't preach to me about not being familiar with the battle of the bulge and all it entails while not having sympathy for someone who should have known better.

Okay then show me....how's it done?

She meant USE a CROCKPOT! Have dinner made when you get home!

*DUH*!

Sorry, Willow! Yes, planning meals makes a HUGE difference.

I have to say, I think if I were this Mommy I'd be tempted to restrict the kids' diet to a vegan one....I'd serve fish and eggs, but not meat. If your food budget is very small, meat is no bargain.
If you're going to use a word, do try to know the meaning of it. Vegan.

I think that the dude was blaming middle aged spread on the company he worked for.

He's just another demonRat. He wanted something for nothing. Normal people would just lose the weight.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

It just amazes how deep the anti-worker bias runs in some of my fellow citizens. As long as, by any means, the worker could have avoided the injury the employer is not responsible? I dun understand why we dun expect employers to behave responsibly towards workers as well.

Playing field is titled against humans for many here, I fear.

I think your OP here is going to open up a floodgate of unsympathetic, intolerant, rude, nasty comments from folks who never had a weight problem in their life, don't understand what a weight problem is and don't care in the least about those who have them.

That's what I think.

(Hi Madeline!)

Hello, George!

I wondered, if an employee could sue McDonald's for their weight gain, why not a customer? And if weight gain, why not any other health issue associated with their products?

In my mind, this makes the California woman with burns from spilled coffee case look like peanuts....after all, McDonald's could still sell coffee that was cooler. But without the extreme fat, salt, sugar and preservatives content, how could they sell their food? That's their entire business model.

I dun give a fuck about rude comments on USMB, George. Yanno me better'n that...I like to throw the raw meat out in front of hungry dogs and see what happens (metaphorically speaking).

I'm of two minds....the fast food industry has damaged the business of agriculture, the land, the farming communities, the people in cities, etc. It has rendered the palate of the entire planet bland and soulless....in short, it would be no loss to anyone if it disappeared tomorrow.

But then, it is a legal business and this is hardly the time to be killing jobs. So I can go either way here....I am not sure if I welcome this development or not.

How about chef's who have to tase everything? Do they get to sue too if they gain weight?

How about starbucks and jamba juice. Have you seen the calorie count on some of their stuff? Lets see, 12 years at 6 grande mochas with whip cream a day. Where do you think that would get you.

A 'taste' isn't going to balloon you up, even many 'tastes' won't. Consistently consuming more calories than you burn is what puts on weight. This guy gorged on free crappy food and got fat. He controls what he puts in his mouth, not McDs. Unless . . . . did McDonald's force this guy to eat as much of their food as he did? Did they forbid him to exercise?

This whole thing is moronic.

A 'taste' isn't going to balloon you up, even many 'tastes' won't. Consistently consuming more calories than you burn is what puts on weight. This guy gorged on free crappy food and got fat. He controls what he puts in his mouth, not McDs. Unless . . . . did McDonald's force this guy to eat as much of their food as he did? Did they forbid him to exercise?

Read "Rethinking Thin," by Gina Kolata. It might change your judgmental attitude a little bit about those who are overweight. Contrary to what you obviously think here, being thin is not a matter or will power, nor is being overweight a moral issue.

And, while I am at it, let me ask you the same question I asked Willow Tree (which has not been answered yet, by the way): How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Last edited:

Read "Rethinking Thin," by Gina Kolata. It might change your judgmental attitude a little bit about those who are overweight. Contrary to what you obviously think here, being thin is not a matter or will power, nor is being overweight it a moral issue.

And, while I am at it, let me ask you the same question I asked Willow Tree (which has not been answered yet, by the way): How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

The whole will power thing is a myth and a bunch of hooey. Will power is fleeting, one's mind-set is where success lies when dealing with weigh loss.

Why? I'm not suing anyone over getting fat from eating their food.

Only a fat fuck would think McDonalds is financially liable for this dude pork'n up.

Must've been a jury of his fellow pears. :lol:

He's just another demonRat. He wanted something for nothing. Normal people would just lose the weight.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

It just amazes how deep the anti-worker bias runs in some of my fellow citizens. As long as, by any means, the worker could have avoided the injury the employer is not responsible? I dun understand why we dun expect employers to behave responsibly towards workers as well.

Playing field is titled against humans for many here, I fear.

Get over it. Unless you can prove McDonald's forced his mouth open and stuffed the food down for eight long years you lose. End of story.

Forum List

Back