Facts on the Fed

It's a cold hard fact that Bernanke has been the most inflationary chairman, because he's overseen THE most inflationary actions ever taken by the Federal Reserve.

Of course thats not true since we had far higher inflation at times when Bernanke was not there!! Sorry to rock your world!!

Go back and reread my post. You skipped the part where actions defined as inflationary don't necessarily translate immediately into price inflation in the market.

Bernanke has set the stage for potentially the worst inflation this country has ever seen. If the economy picks up and banks open up the loan spigots, and Bernanke doesn't pull off a miracle exit strategy from all the assets they've purchased since 2008, we're looking at inflation we've never even seen before.

I had wonder why obama kept bernanke on as head of the fed, with the failure in the economy why did obama keep bernanke and preach change the whole campigan of 2008? After watching obama the past 2 and a half years with no change what so ever and an even worse econoimy I can without a doubt say Bernanke is a fuck up and obama knew it. obama did not want any change Obamush 2012,,,,

Go back and reread my post. You skipped the part where actions defined as inflationary don't necessarily translate immediately into price inflation in the market.

so what?? As long as the Fed exists it can create inflation at will!! Bernanke did not change that at all

Bernanke has set the stage for potentially the worst inflation this country has ever seen.

thats absurd. What he did was set the stage to avoid another Great Depression!!

If the economy picks up and banks open up the loan spigots, and Bernanke doesn't pull off a miracle exit strategy from all the assets they've purchased since 2008, we're looking at inflation we've never even seen before.

as I said, if the Fed wants to create inflation or deflation at will it can. The current Fed Balance Sheet does not say anything about future deflation or inflation.

so what?? As long as the Fed exists it can create inflation at will!! Bernanke did not change that at all

Bernanke has set the stage for potentially the worst inflation this country has ever seen.

thats absurd. What he did was set the stage to avoid another Great Depression!!

If the economy picks up and banks open up the loan spigots, and Bernanke doesn't pull off a miracle exit strategy from all the assets they've purchased since 2008, we're looking at inflation we've never even seen before.

as I said, if the Fed wants to create inflation or deflation at will it can. The current Fed Balance Sheet does not say anything about future deflation or inflation.

I've yet to see you say ANYTHING around here on economics that hasn't been a pathetic display of stupidity and ignorance.

I've yet to see you say ANYTHING around here on economics that hasn't been a pathetic display of stupidity and ignorance.

of course if true you would not be so afraid to debate. Do you think it isn't obvious why you switched to pure name calling??

of course if true you would not be so afraid to debate. Do you think it isn't obvious why you switched to pure name calling??

The Fed's mandate is to control inflation, and you go and say "if the fed wants to create inflation at will it can".

What would be the point in debating you after that? You're clueless and talk out of your ass.

I could do a better job than that fuck wit has done.

of course if true you would tell us what the correct monetary policy should have been, but you don't even know what monetary policy is.

Exactly what has he done in almost 8 years?

he's actually achieved a miracle by avoiding a great depression. Sorry!
From now on quote my whole god damn post or don't fucking quote it at all.
We never left the recession yet.
Yes I could do a better job than he could.

The Fed's mandate is to control inflation, and you go and say "if the fed wants to create inflation at will it can".

What would be the point in debating you after that? You're clueless and talk out of your ass.

actually the Feds mandate is stable prices. Bernanke has insured that with what you call setting the stage for a huge inflation! Seems things are a little more complicated than you know?

...It's a cold hard fact that Bernanke has been the most inflationary chairman, because he's overseen THE most inflationary actions ever taken by the Federal Reserve.
--resulting in observable inflation? Not true if we're talking about trends in actual prices for goods and services bought in the US. If we're talking about the bloated egos of the Fed-bashers then yes, we've had record breaking inflation.

The FIRST reaction of the FED was to save its MEMBER/OWNER banks, folks. TARP

Inflation or deflation they can live with.

But saving their owners asses is first and foremost what the FED is all about.

The FIRST reaction of the FED was to save its MEMBER/OWNER banks, folks. TARP

Perhaps you've never heard of Lehman Brothers and Bear Sterns?? That experience made it clear to perhaps 97% of economists that that the remaining institutions had to be saved to avoid another Great Depression. Shareholders, i.e., owners, were often wiped out though! Nevertheless, many banks were allowed to fail or be absorbed. Remaining bank owners like those at Citi and B of A also suffered huge huge losses. It was in all the papers. Where have you been?

Inflation or deflation they can live with.

actually prices have been remarkably stable. Where have you been?

But saving their owners asses is first and foremost what the FED is all about.

you mean like Wa MU and Merryl Lynch?? Its getting to be a joke. The libertarians predicted huge inflation 4 years ago with great certainty. It never happened so the remaining libertarians are just pretending we have huge inflation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/sunday-review/the-facts-on-the-fed.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

This chart ranks the six Fed chairmen of the past 60 years on the two issues in its dual mandate: inflation and unemployment. Under Mr. Bernanke, inflation has been lower than under any other Fed chairman in the past 40 years — and lower than in the five years before he took over. Unemployment has been well above average and has risen sharply.

The candidates would say that Mr. Bernanke’s actions have set the stage for future inflation. Maybe so. But there is a long way to go before he sets any records.

I was scared before I clicked on this thread. Truthmatters starting a thread with facts in the title. This can only be a disaster.

“I’d be looking for someone new,” said Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts.

“I would not be reappointing Ben Bernanke,” Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota said.

“I am not a fan of the current chairman,” added Gov. Rick Perry of Texas, who had even harsher words on the campaign trail.

Just as striking as the intra-party criticism, though, was the content of that criticism. Mr. Perry and Mr. Romney accused Mr. Bernanke of devaluing the dollar through inflation. Newt Gingrich, former House speaker, called Mr. Bernanke “the most inflationary” chairman ever.

They are inflationary. QEI and II have increased the money supply and driven up the cost of commodities. Just because you don't understand this does not mean the rest of the world doesn't.

Annual_Inflation_chart.jpg

They are inflationary. QEI and II have increased the money supply and driven up the cost of commodities.

a little Econ 101 for you. Inflation is the cost of everything, not the cost of commodities. Some stuff has gone up and some stuff, like houses, has gone down so there has been little inflation. Sorry. Plus Bernanke did some huge huge stuff to avoid a huge depression; he still may go down as the best central banker of all time.

actually the Feds mandate is stable prices. Bernanke has insured that with what you call setting the stage for a huge inflation! Seems things are a little more complicated than you know?

Ok, let's recap..

You say the Fed's mandate is "stable prices", but say they can "create inflation at will if they want".

Please explain to me how that makes any sense at all.

They are inflationary. QEI and II have increased the money supply and driven up the cost of commodities.

a little Econ 101 for you. Inflation is the cost of everything, not the cost of commodities. Some stuff has gone up and some stuff, like houses, has gone down so there has been little inflation. Sorry. Plus Bernanke did some huge huge stuff to avoid a huge depression; he still may go down as the best central banker of all time.

It's not that simple and black and white. Commodities are the most important things to survival. Food and energy prices are high during a time when millions are underpaid or unemployed. Housing prices are not "down", they are back to something resembling a more NORMAL price from their extremely inflated values last decade, which happened to be a result of the Fed's previous money supply increase after the dot-com boom/bust.

How can you expect average middle class people to support families when basic everyday things like food and fuel are breaking the bank in an income class that's been decimated by economic decline?

Come back when you've got something more than "he did some huge huge stuff that was huge and stuff" :rolleyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/sunday-review/the-facts-on-the-fed.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

This chart ranks the six Fed chairmen of the past 60 years on the two issues in its dual mandate: inflation and unemployment. Under Mr. Bernanke, inflation has been lower than under any other Fed chairman in the past 40 years — and lower than in the five years before he took over. Unemployment has been well above average and has risen sharply.

The candidates would say that Mr. Bernanke’s actions have set the stage for future inflation. Maybe so. But there is a long way to go before he sets any records.

Inflation is low because a lot of the economy is in depression. Terrific

Forum List

Back