Facts About Judaism

Shulchan Aruch For Bnei Noach Set To Be Published

The “Shulchan Aruch” is a halachic rulebook which contains all the daily routines, and also the practices for holidays and the life cycle. What is permitted and what is forbidden? This book will be a collection of halacha specifically for Noahides.

The “Shulchan Aruch” will be written by the Director of Brit Olam – Noahide World Center – Rav Oury Cherki. a result of many years of mutual efforts with many Noahides. It is being written with the advice and guidance of a forum of rabbis who are experts in the subject of Bnei Noach and the universal message of Judaism.

You provided an interesting link. What I liked the most is mentioning of the commandment not to murder in regard with embarrassing someone in public.

Last edited:

The “Shulchan Aruch” is a halachic rulebook which contains all the daily routines, and also the practices for holidays and the life cycle. What is permitted and what is forbidden? This book will be a collection of halacha specifically for Noahides.

The “Shulchan Aruch” will be written by the Director of Brit Olam – Noahide World Center – Rav Oury Cherki. a result of many years of mutual efforts with many Noahides. It is being written with the advice and guidance of a forum of rabbis who are experts in the subject of Bnei Noach and the universal message of Judaism.

You provided an interesting link. What I liked the most is mentioning of the commandment not to murder in regard with prohibition to embarrass someone in public.

Of course, embarrassment of a fellow is considered murder.

And it's multifaceted, aside from what seems today as apparent moral digression,
as much as with murder today, there's a physiological explanation to why embarrassment is considered murder as well, but it doesn't end there as well.

There's a method to Jewish law, and the Rabbinic argumentation is infinitely complex and meticulous , way beyond what can possibly expanded in such a forum.

Only to start grasping the initial thread of a single debate on a single subject on one page of the Gmara, which can be centered at a single phrase or even word of the law, on its initial literal level- can take at best several months (and I'm being large here), even that is virtually impossible without prior grasp of some minimal basis.

But that's if I'm being large here, in reality, if after 3-4 months You grasp 20% that's a significant intellectual achievement. And a person will know this on his own, once that's starts rolling, the feeling of growing up to a rigorous intellectual challenge, as it's commonly expressed - 'it starts tasting like honey'.

Anyway, as already said this is not the platform capable enough of containing such a detailed discourse in the correct way, and I'm certainly not the one fit to take the position.

But to go back to what You've previously pointed out, I'll conclude with another simple example- there're many kinds of theft, as with murder explained above, some are not as obvious initially, namely - there's whats called 'theft of mind' as well, which I think fits more for the example You've previously given.

Hope I didn't confuse it, or made it overly complicated.
We can always take back, and expand as we proceed with the conversation.

The Secret of the Jewish Mind - Rabbi Zamir Cohen

One of the mysteries that occupies the world, is what's the secret behind the brilliance of the Jewish mind? Why is there so much hatred and Anti-Semitism towards a nation that has
contributed so much to mankind? Rabbi Zamir Cohen responds in style.

You provided an interesting link. What I liked the most is mentioning of the commandment not to murder in regard with prohibition to embarrass someone in public.

And it's multifaceted, aside from what seems today as apparent moral digression,
as much as with murder today, there's a physiological explanation to why embarrassment is considered murder as well, but it doesn't end there as well.

There's a method to Jewish law, and the Rabbinic argumentation is infinitely complex and meticulous , way beyond what can possibly expanded in such a forum.

Only to start grasping the initial thread of a single debate on a single subject on one page of the Gmara, which can be centered at a single phrase or even word of the law, on its initial literal level- can take at best several months (and I'm being large here), even that is virtually impossible without prior grasp of some minimal basis.

But that's if I'm being large here, in reality, if after 3-4 months You grasp 20% that's a significant intellectual achievement. And a person will know this on his own, once that's starts rolling, the feeling of growing up to a rigorous intellectual challenge, as it's commonly expressed - 'it starts tasting like honey'.

Anyway, as already said this is not the platform capable enough of containing such a detailed discourse in the correct way, and I'm certainly not the one fit to take the position.

But to go back to what You've previously pointed out, I'll conclude with another simple example- there're many kinds of theft, as with murder explained above, some are not as obvious initially, namely - there's whats called 'theft of mind' as well, which I think fits more for the example You've previously given.

Thanks for your input. Frankly, my knowledge is too low for meaningful conversations, to say nothing about discussions. I tried several times to read the Bible (both OT and NT), but have never managed to get it through completely.

Though, during this period significant shift in my mind happened. I no longer consider Judaism as primitive and purely tribal religion compared with Christianity. The contrary is true, it seems.

I am not a religious person. And I think that never will be. There are some aspects of religious life I can't accept (they are common to all religions). Though, it should be interesting to read the book mentioned when it appears. And follow the rules it provides which get along with my feelings and mind.

Thanks for your input. Frankly, my knowledge is too low for meaningful conversations, to say nothing about discussions. I tried several times to read the Bible (both OT and NT), but have never managed to get it through completely.

Though, during this period significant shift in my mind happened. I no longer consider Judaism as primitive and purely tribal religion compared with Christianity. The contrary is true, it seems.

I am not a religious person. And I think that never will be. There are some aspects of religious life I can't accept (they are common to all religions). Though, it should be interesting to read the book mentioned when it appears. And follow the rules it provides which get along with my feelings and mind.

I am fascinated. What led you to believe that Judaism is primitive
and tribal?

and tribal?

I can't answer properly on this question. I don't know. But what I can say is that it wasn't an 'instant' feeling provoked by someone's speech or book or something else. It was formed long ago in the times of my youth I think.

and tribal?

I can't answer properly on this question. I don't know. But what I can say is that it wasn't an 'instant' feeling provoked by someone's speech or book or something else. It was formed long ago in the times of my youth I think.

that's called "INCULCATION" also known as ---"the medium
is the message"

Judaism is just a human invention. The Torah, the Prophets and the Scriptures never mention a single word about Judaism.

Period.

and tribal?

Primitive? No

Tribal? 100%. That’s understandable until they put the tribe above G-d.

and tribal?

Primitive? No

What do you mean by 'tribal'?

By the way, it's G-d who prescribes, with exception of 3 conditions,
that the life of a single member of His tribe takes precedent over His entire Torah.

Judaism is just a human invention. The Torah, the Prophets and the Scriptures never mention a single word about Judaism.

Period.

That's utterly ridiculous.
Judaism means 'that of the Jews,
the heritage and everything revolving around it.

Last edited:
rylah-----it seems to me that you have very little sunday school and
sunday church experience. ----think SEMANTICS-------manipulation
of the words of Tanach by people who have no concept of how
Hebrew or Aramaic "works" and are compromised even in English

and tribal?

Primitive? No

pic------how do you say "tribe" in Hebrew?

t was formed long ago in the times of my youth I think.

I'll bet it was ...

aPZwE0Lh2KgnJPtF0oq72whEpbx.jpg

Thank You, that's inspiring, and frankly I'm surprised.
So far this is one of the most meaningful conversations I've had on the board.

First of all, before approaching to read Torah, so as to grasp its meaning,
one has to take in account what it is and who it was aimed at. Namely, the 'word of G-d'.
And as with any communication it is aimed at specific people at a point in time in their language.

This is not to say the communication is aimed only to them, but naturally, as when listening to an exchange from a distance, to have a chance at understanding what's actually being said, at the least from merely linguistic sense, it is essential to take in mind who are the directly involved parties and in what situation - this is no less true for native Hebrew speaking Jews.

Otherwise, if approached as merely a story-line , relatively meaningless, a;most impossible to make sense of most details, and frankly a quiet boring read.

That's exactly why at least one commentary is added to the curriculum, most commonly Rashi, even in secular schools in Israel - specifically to help it bridge the vast generational gap.

And this is before we even discuss bridging of the linguistic gap, with all the challenges that go along with translation.

However, one thing can address these issues holistically, vastly improve the experience and make it alive, and this is a key I think largely overlooked - RHYTHM.

You see, Torah is living in the Jewish community not merely as a sealed book, that one is required to read from cover to cover, rather there's what's called 'The Weekly Torah Portion'.
Jews study a specific portion of the 5 books of Moses, a specific portion for a week, little by little, or in one take when gathering on Shabat, while also discussing it or typically hearing a speech about that specific portion that goes into the depth of the details, maybe something from the wealth of questions, arguments, parables and answers revealed and argued by the Sages through the generations, or can be something that captures the parallels of current events. This way it is very much alive and relevant, around which revolves the entire week, very much like the theme of the week, one which You can soak and mingle, take time to think about and experience in a very direct and meaningful manner.

Another aspect. and I'll finish with that, which is more intimate, is You should realize the study is usually not done alone, rather in front of a living person, a learned Rabbi (and groups) with whom You can directly interact, ask questions, challenge and argue (Judaism as a culture is mainly an interaction that largely revolves around the art of questioning), which leads me to what I think can be probably the best advice I can give - if You're interested and up to the challenge, simply express that desire to learn (not to be converted, because You'll be automatically rejected), and look for a Rabbi who is open for that interaction and fits Your personality, don't be shy to be assertive, and You'll know exactly when the correct person appears.

My first suggestion would be Rabbi Tovia Singer, though his work mainly revolves around the goal of getting Jews out of the church and inter-faith debates for that purpose, he's very knowledgeable and open, as well as available to wide audience through various channels,
At the least, intellectually I think You'll find him interesting, and if needed, most probably will be able to direct You to other people -

Last edited:
rylah-----it seems to me that you have very little sunday school and
sunday church experience.

Zero experience!
Thank G-d and bless my parents.

The experience I do have is chasing out missionaries out of town,
who tried to spread their material in Hebrew disguised as "Jewish books".
They used to go in groups, randomly start conversations about G-d, and toss people
books with a nice smile...You open it, all looks kosher, and only around the middle You
realize what You're holding in the hand, and how many have already received those books.

Some even dressed as Haredim!

:puke:

And the idiots did this in a town full of immigrants from Yemen, Morocco and Caucasus,
infamously known as the "terror capital" for being the main target bus/malls suicide attacks.

Anyway, we simply used to follow them everywhere to make sure people knew,
after a few attempts to bring new groups, they disappeared - and no we didn't raise a hand.

You may wish to regard the following: Messianic Life

huge_avatar

See...that's exactly what I'm talking about,
missionaries have not the least integrity to be straightforward,
trolling around seeking to disconnect Jews from their heritage, always sneaky.

What is that about Islam and Christianity that makes them so unsure
of themselves that they absolutely must try and turn everyone to be like them?

Forum List

Back