Expectations of Minimum Wage

You're wrong. ... Because it's, [i.e. the federal minimum wage rate's] not a noticeable driver of US incomes. ... [it's a] Terrible idea.
ToddsterPatriot, regardless of your opinion, I suppose for the benefit of their economy and society, every industrial nation has some laws or regulations that perform functions similar to USA's federal minimum wage rate.

Its purchasing power to some extent does bolster all wage scales. It greatest benefit is to lower-wage rate earners because its benefits are inversely and proportionally related to the differences between the minimum and the jobs' wage rates.

Respectfully, Supposn

every industrial nation has some laws or regulations

Yes, lots of nations have lots of stupid laws and stupid regulations.

Its purchasing power to some extent does bolster all wage scales.

The wage earned by the bottom 2% of workers can't be said to bolster all wage scales.

I think 'bolster' means 'inflate'.

I don't see how $7.25/hour inflates everyone else's wages.

Well, as you already pointed out, minimum wage is currently so low it's a non-factor. Less than 5% of workers make minimum wage. But raising it significantly would cause inflation. Something like 45% of workers make less than $15/hr. So, raising the minimum wage to $15/hr would definitely have an impact. It would have a domino effect and would 'bolster' other wages. It would also 'bolster' prices, so it's merely tail chasing. But liberals don't care about that. Tomorrow never comes.

You're wrong. ... Because it's, [i.e. the federal minimum wage rate's] not a noticeable driver of US incomes. ... [it's a] Terrible idea.
ToddsterPatriot, regardless of your opinion, I suppose for the benefit of their economy and society, every industrial nation has some laws or regulations that perform functions similar to USA's federal minimum wage rate.

Its purchasing power to some extent does bolster all wage scales. It greatest benefit is to lower-wage rate earners because its benefits are inversely and proportionally related to the differences between the minimum and the jobs' wage rates.

Respectfully, Supposn

The wage earned by the bottom 2% of workers can't be said to bolster all wage scales.

Well, as you already pointed out, minimum wage is currently so low it's a non-factor. Less than 5% of workers make minimum wage. But raising it significantly would cause inflation. Something like 45% of workers make less than $15/hr. So, raising the minimum wage to $15/hr would definitely have an impact. It would have a domino effect and would 'bolster' other wages. It would also 'bolster' prices, so it's merely tail chasing. But liberals don't care about that. Tomorrow never comes.

But you have to remember it would only booster other wages by nickels not dollars over the Minimum wage set, unless you were in a Union and some of them tie their wage into the minimum wage.

Respectfully, Supposn

But raising it significantly would cause inflation.

And unemployment.

Respectfully, Supposn

But you have to remember it would only booster other wages by nickels not dollars over the Minimum wage set, unless you were in a Union and some of them tie their wage into the minimum wage.

Over time, it would ripple out to all wages and prices and in balance, the relative values would be exactly the same. That's because these values aren't determined by government mandate. They're determined by consumers. The reason burger flippers don't make much money is because we don't value what they do very much. We consume fast food because it's cheap. If it gets more expensive, more of us will flip our own burgers.

Respectfully, Supposn

And unemployment.

Yeah. Whenever you mandate some value, all related values adjust. There will either be inflation, unemployment, or businesses failing.

That's what people don't get. People who don't make enough money to live on are doing a job that society doesn't value very much. That won't change by government mandate. We can play all the games we want, monkey with the numbers and establish artificial minimums - but you're still not going to be able to buy a house and raise a family as a burger flipper at a fast food chain.

Respectfully, Supposn

link the minimum wage to inflation or the cost of living. One goes up so does the other. Force the rich dudes to pay themselves less to compensate.

And unemployment.

Yeah. Whenever you mandate some value, all related values adjust. There will either be inflation, unemployment, or businesses failing.

That's what people don't get. People who don't make enough money to live on are doing a job that society doesn't value very much. That won't change by government mandate. We can play all the games we want, monkey with the numbers and establish artificial minimums - but you're still not going to be able to buy a house and raise a family as a burger flipper at a fast food chain.
Then fast food chains shouldn't exist.

And unemployment.

Unless every fast food job buys you a nice house in the suburbs and a Tesla?

And unemployment.

no, unless they provide a living wage for the employee. Doesn't have to be nice.

Respectfully, Supposn

link the minimum wage to inflation or the cost of living. One goes up so does the other. Force the rich dudes to pay themselves less to compensate.

How do you do that?

And unemployment.

no, unless they provide a living wage for the employee. Doesn't have to be nice.

What income is required for a "living wage"?

And unemployment.

what is a living wage? give us an exact number

How do you do that?

If I knew that I'd have a Government job.

And unemployment.

Rent, food, a little extra for a car payment and/or college.

And unemployment.

It depends on your state. In Florida I would say $10 an hour. NY $15 an hour wouldn't be enough.

Can't you be a little more precise?

It depends on your state. In Florida I would say $10 an hour. NY $15 an hour wouldn't be enough.

$15 bucks in New York city??????

well at least you know that raising the federal minimum wage is useless and it should be on a state by state, city by city level as it has been going.

No.

No.

Sorry, low skilled workers aren't going to be able to earn enough to buy a house in the suburbs.

No.

Sorry, low skilled workers aren't going to be able to earn enough to buy a house in the suburbs.
Who said anything about buying. The correct word would be Rent. And they wouldn't need to rent a whole house if they are single.

Forum List

Back