Expanding on the logic riddle:

In choosing whether the other card is red, you are now forced to choose between three equally likely choices as one possible permutation has been removed from the set:

{BR, RB, RR}

What is now the probability that both cards are red?

1/3

Until you flip over a red one. Now it's 50%.

What is your logic behind scenario #3 not being 50/50? Drawn from an infinite deck of equal colors, every card drawn would have a 50% chance of being one color or the other, regardless of the scenario in which they were drawn.

He made the same errors in the sibling riddle........

He made the same errors in the sibling riddle........

No, I assure you that you did. These are well known problems, for discrete math students.

And nearly all of them make the same errors you are making. Until they learn why they are errors.

In scenario 3, which card did you flip, the first one above, or the second one?
"first one above"

Not sure what that means.

But it is irrelevant which of the two cards you flip first, in scenarios 3 and 4.

If I choose two cards from the infinite deck, shuffle them, and place them facedown in front of you, it does not matter which card is flipped first. The only information that is revealed to you is the color of the card that is flipped.

"first one above"

But it is irrelevant which of the two cards you flip first, in scenarios 3 and 4.

If I choose two cards from the infinite deck, shuffle them, and place them facedown in front of you, it does not matter which card is flipped first. The only information that is revealed to you is the color of the card that is flipped.

Reading, left to right. The first one?

BR
RB
RR

Or the second one?

BR
RB
R
R

Right. The first card was red.

What color is the second card?

Either red or black. 50/50

Forum List

Back