Evolution question.

So what selection pressures are still operating on humans?
Natural selection and sexual selection. There are also things like mutation, genetic drift, and gene flow. I'll give you one specific example. Back in the 80's HIV started becoming a problem. There has since been a mutation that gives people a natural immunity to HIV.

Scientists use other writers to parse their theories in language that we novices can understand, thus "those words".
Those words are wrong, they're incorrect.

Nothing "came into existence". Most scientists agree on conservation of energy. There is a fixed amount of energy in the universe, it doesn't change.

What happens instead, is the volume expands, therefore things cool down.

In the beginning as far back as we can trace, all the energy was in a teeny-tiny volume, which then expanded with explosive force (hence the big "bang").

Things were very hot back then, because of the small volume - before there was solid matter everything was in a molten plasma state, kind of like you find in the sun, where there are no "atoms" per se, instead there's just a sea of molten nuclei.

Matter happens as things cool down. Bits of plasma stick together because of the nuclear forces (that's chromodynamics), and they become matter. They become different kinds of matter depending on the exact cooling conditions and volumes and etc. Gases can condense as they cool, contributing further matter.

For life, the first and most essential requirement.is isolation from the environment. Here on earth that's accomplished with "membranes" which are basically layers of oil that separate compartments of water. Science currently.proposes that active membranes developed from micelles. The difference between our membranes and others is that ours use "phospho" lipids instead of regular oils. That means one end of the molecule is charged, and therefore there is a charge cloud around every living cell. Advanced organisms use these cellular charges for muscles and brains. The point being, the building blocks for a complex human brain are very simple. It's just that there are 100 billion of them, which is maybe 10 orders of magnitude give or take.

All of them.

Natural selection continues to operate as it always did. We just fight back against it with science-based medicine and technology.
Are we running faster if even the slowest of us reproduce? Are we getting stronger since we no longer have to fight for females? LeroyDumonde points out, we adapt but reacting to HIV is unlikely to fundamentally change humans as a species. The only selection pressures I see are bigger breasts for women and motorcycles for men.

Liberal, secular people have some catching up to do regarding happiness and longevity.
Nah, those studies are bunkum.

Remember, if someone can delude themselves into believing in a zombie king, their self reporting in polls cannot be trusted.

Are we running faster if even the slowest of us reproduce?
Then the faster people are also reproducing. So their offspring are faster. Your overly general implications results in no net change.

The forces of natural selection are still at work. We just hold them off with technology and medicine.

we adapt but reacting to HIV is unlikely to fundamentally change humans as a species.
Sure it will, if HIV stays around long enough. Yes, we have copious admixture. But admixture just slows changes over a population. It doesn't make them impossible.

Oh. So, the bible contradicts itself openly? You know, that 'all men are sinners' bit?

TIL

Not so mother Mary.

Translation:

Hail Mary! Virgin mild,
Hear a virgin's plea,
From this rock rigid and wild
Let my prayer blow to thee.
We sleep safely till morning,
However cruel men may be.
O Virgin, see the Virgin's sorrows,
O Mother, hear a pleading child! Hail Mary!

Hail Mary! Immaculate!
When we sink down on this rock
To sleep, and your protection covers us
The hard rock will seem soft to us.
You smile, the scent of roses wafts
In this dull cleft of rock,
O mother, hear the child's plea,
O Virgin, a virgin is calling!

Hail Mary!

Hail Mary! Pure handmaiden!
Demons of earth and air,
Chased away by your grace,
They cannot dwell here with us,
We will bow quietly to fate,
As your holy consolation blows upon us;
To the maiden let us bow,
To the child who pleads for the Father.
Hail Mary!

Last edited:
70-80 years. Quite reasonable.

Up to 120 years - what seems to be a very realistic biological maximum for human beings.. On the other side exist also very strange numbers - for example 600 years - but we use similar expressions when we do not speak about a single life span but the life span of a dynasty. The house Habsburg was for example German king and/or Roman emperor from 1438-1740 AD = 302 years.

Education.

You call only education what he thinks is maleducation because it is dead knowledge to learn something what is not relevant for anything. Indeed an interesting question. Many explanations which use evolution as an argument are for example only wrong.

Western culture is good thanks to superior, SECULAR ideas, like classical liberalism and secular government.

This seperation started with the separation of pope and emperor. I guess the inspiration to do so came directly from Jesus on his own when he said “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”

Western culture rose up out of the muck quite in spite of Christianity.

That's totally wrong. You are not able to understand the world in which we live when you do not understand specially the influence of the Christian religion and not only the influence of spirituality in general.

Last edited:
Mary did not remain a virgin.

?

A virgin is in the Hebrew language and in German a "young woman" = a woman who is no girl any longer and who is also not married. Mother Mary got pregnant while she was a virgin. This was a dangerous situation for her. Later she married her wonderful husband Joseph, the father of Jesus, and was a normal wife - and again a little while later she was a widow. As fas as I know she did not marry again. To be a wife or to be an unmarried older woman or to be a widow or to be a remarried widow is as less a sin as to be a girl or to be a vigin is no sin.

Last edited:
If the cornerstone of evolution is the extinction of species with 'undesirable traits' why do we go out of our way to save people who have these traits? Kinda makes the ToE irrelevant doesn't it? Don't we need the "Darwin Effect" to improve our species?

My (science/ToE oriented) dentist wanted to pull my wisdom teeth, which no doubt took evolution some time to 'select for'. He said it would prevent any dental problems later on. I was 45 at the time and had never had any problems with my wisdom teeth. I'm now 83 and except for having one crowned have never had a problem with them. Why would a strong believer in evolution want to thwart one of its successful accomplishments?
The left only pretends to believe in "science." The goal is to deny God. If science can aid in THAT goal then science is good. If science, in any way, confirms the existence of God then it must be abolished.

?

A virgin is in the Hebrew language and in German a "young woman" = a woman who is no girl any longer and who is also not married. Mother Mary got pregnant while she was a virgin. This was a dangerous situation for her. Later she married her wonderful husband Joseph, the father of Jesus, and was a normal wife - and again a little while later she was a widow. As fas as I know she did not marry again. To be a wife or to be an unmarried older woman or to be a widow or to be a remarried widow is as less a sin as to be a girl or to be a vigin is no sin.
Mary fit the definition of a virgin in the Greek language; "a woman who has never had sexual intercourse with a man".

... or not. This is not really clear - if this idea is plausible at all. And did I say it or did I forget it to say? For me is sexism no theme.
But while He (Jesus) was still speaking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and His brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak with Him (Matthew 12:46, see also Mark 3:31, Luke 8:19).

Mary fit the definition of a virgin in the Greek language; "a woman who has never had sexual intercourse with a man".
Totally uninteresting for me. For me is a "Jungfrau" (virgin) a "junge Frau" (young woman). What is your problem? ... That Mary had a "sexual intercourse" with the Holy Spirit? ...

Last edited:
Totally uninteresting for me. For me is a "Jungfrau" (virgin) a "junge Frau" (young woman). What is your problem?
Mary was a young woman who had never had sexual intercourse with a man. What is your problem?

Forum List

Back