Everyone should get healthy at least once.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
While children generally enjoy a healthy and active life when they are young, adults generally don't as the responsibilities of adulthood (and bad health habits) take their toll on one's health, often with serious consequences. Most go on to live in the gray area of "we're not sick, we just don't feel good", bouncing between being sick and not being sick, never ascending into the realm of true health.

I was 33 when I (re)discovered true health. My wife was sort of a health freak but depended on supplements and vitamins to achieve what she thought was true health. She gave me a book on fasting, "The Miracle of Fasting" by Paul C. Bragg (which is still in print). I was inspired and motivated to begin his fasting program, which resulted in my achieving such health, vitality, and mental clarity that I was dumbfounded. And although I have slipped into some bad health habits over the years, I have maintained most of Bragg's health principles. I'm nearly 84 and still active, energetic, and mentally alert. One of my doctors commented, "I don't believe you are that old". This, back when I was in my 70's.

My point is that everyone should take the time and put in the effort to gain true health (as much as is possible) at least once in their adult life, so they know it is attainable, and how to attain it again if they are so motivated.

Last edited:
I have been suffering with a pinched sciatic nerve in my back... its been three weeks now with no relief... the doctor gave me some pills that supposedly block pain inside the brain... all it does is make me hungry... lol I got on the scale last night and I've gained 12 pounds in three weeks... :omg: time to get back on my bike...
I tell anyone who cares to find something you like to do that gets you out of the house and you will lose weight... Hiking walking riding a non E bike....
My cousin got a new camera for Christmas and has dropped at least 25 pounds walking and taking pictures of birds... BIRDS!... lol

My point is that everyone should take the time and put in the effort to gain true health (as much as is possible) at least once in their adult life, so they know it is attainable, and how to attain it again if they are so motivated.
Yours is a great story and one for you to be rightly proud of .

I have a small problem -- details irrelevant -- and my outstanding GP has recommended I try Fasting on a "suck it and see "basis.She knows how to handle me .
I have privately prevaricated the last fortnight because of my selfish greed for food .
But her advice and your prompting have made an impact .
I hope that now good interntions become good action ..

Yours is a great story and one for you to be rightly proud of .

I have a small problem -- details irrelevant -- and my outstanding GP has recommended I try Fasting on a "suck it and see "basis.She knows how to handle me .
I have privately prevaricated the last fortnight because of my selfish greed for food .
But her advice and your prompting have made an impact .
I hope that now good interntions become good action ..
I highly recommend Bragg's book for inspiration, motivation and importantly instruction in conducting the fast. Available cheap on Amazon. Some of his ideas are outdated but most are timeless. Good luck.

Last edited:
While children generally enjoy a healthy and active life when they are young, adults generally don't as the responsibilities of adulthood (and bad health habits) take their toll on one's health, often with serious consequences. Most go on to live in the gray area of "we're not sick, we just don't feel good", bouncing between being sick and not being sick, never ascending into the realm of true health.

I was 33 when I (re)discovered true health. My wife was sort of a health freak but depended on supplements and vitamins to achieve what she thought was true health. She gave me a book on fasting, "The Miracle of Fasting" by Paul C. Bragg (which is still in print). I was inspired and motivated to begin his fasting program, which resulted in my achieving such health, vitality, and mental clarity that I was dumbfounded. And although I have slipped into some bad health habits over the years, I have maintained most of Bragg's health principles. I'm nearly 84 and still active, energetic, and mentally alert. One of my doctors commented, "I don't believe you are that old". This, back when I was in my 70's.

I have just begun intermittent fasting, not so much for weight loss but just because I like the idea of cells being "freed up" to clean up--what is called autophagy. I like that benefit for inflammation, since I have autoimmunes, and for dementia which runs in my family.

When I put my mind to something, it's over, so unless I actually get close to passing out, hunger is not an issue (IOW, I put my mind to it, if I get hungry I still won't eat). Now that said, because I am not trying to lose a lot of weight and bc I am active through most days, I'm not trying to do more than 24 hour fasts at this point. But so far, it's great, honestly.

I'm loosely doing the 5/2 plan: eat normally 5 days, fast 2. The research I've done said this showed the most benefits combined with the best long-term adherence.

I have been suffering with a pinched sciatic nerve in my back... its been three weeks now with no relief... the doctor gave me some pills that supposedly block pain inside the brain... all it does is make me hungry... lol I got on the scale last night and I've gained 12 pounds in three weeks... :omg: time to get back on my bike...
I tell anyone who cares to find something you like to do that gets you out of the house and you will lose weight... Hiking walking riding a non E bike....
My cousin got a new camera for Christmas and has dropped at least 25 pounds walking and taking pictures of birds... BIRDS!... lol

I'm addicted to walking. It's my happy place. I will walk in just about any weather, but it's been icy here (hence why I'm posting during the day--snow days). I am not dumb enough to walk outside when the streets are icy and bust something that, at my age, will take entirely too long to heal. So I'm doing indoor workouts. But man, the combo of outside + exercise is amazing IMO

I have just begun intermittent fasting, not so much for weight loss but just because I like the idea of cells being "freed up" to clean up--what is called autophagy. I like that benefit for inflammation, since I have autoimmunes, and for dementia which runs in my family.

When I put my mind to something, it's over, so unless I actually get close to passing out, hunger is not an issue (IOW, I put my mind to it, if I get hungry I still won't eat). Now that said, because I am not trying to lose a lot of weight and bc I am active through most days, I'm not trying to do more than 24 hour fasts at this point. But so far, it's great, honestly.

I'm loosely doing the 5/2 plan: eat normally 5 days, fast 2. The research I've done said this showed the most benefits combined with the best long-term adherence.
Anytime you can give any part of your body a rest is a good time. Hunger management gets easier with practice until eventually it's no longer an issue at all. Many seasoned fasters don't break their fast until they feel hunger, which can be as long as a week or more.

I'm addicted to walking.
(1) I was, too.

(2) Then in 2022, I took a medicine that robbed me of my muscle mass.

(3) I used to walk 3 - 4 miles several times a week.

(4) Walking to the post office or bank or supermarket was so much fun.

(5) I was too weak to walk anywhere in 2023.

(6) This is 2024, and I still do not have the confidence to start walking again. (If I need to go the post office, I have to pay a caregiver $200 to take me.)

(7) I am so depressed.

(8) I envy you!

Last edited:
(7) I am so depressed.

(
That's the one to smash .
Look at the various types of Yoga available .
Breathing exercises --- might sound silly but is not .

Consider an old type of bank robbery.
Kill somebody you really despise .

(1) I was, too.

(2) Then in 2022, I took a medicine that robbed me of my muscle mass.

(3) I used to walk 3 - 4 miles several times a week.

(4) Walking to the post office or bank or supermarket was so much fun.

(5) I was too weak to walk anywhere in 2023.

(6) This is 2024, and I still do not have the confidence to start walking again. (If I need to go the post office, I have to pay a caregiver $200 to take me.)

(7) I am so depressed.

(8) I envy you!

I'm so sorry. fwiw, I do understand. With one of my autoimmunes, I have been down and out for some period of time, and it's not fun. It makes me appreciate every walk I can take. I encourage you to set the smallest of goals--walk in your house for 2 minutes? Five?--or anything, as goal-setting and achievement is so invigorating. Best wishes

Anytime you can give any part of your body a rest is a good time. Hunger management gets easier with practice until eventually it's no longer an issue at all. Many seasoned fasters don't break their fast until they feel hunger, which can be as long as a week or more.

I...am flabbergasted at a week! But I also did not think I could go 24 hours. Right now even a 48 hour fast seems out of bounds, but who knows?

I...am flabbergasted at a week! But I also did not think I could go 24 hours. Right now even a 48 hour fast seems out of bounds, but who knows?
Reducing physical activity during any fast is necessary, otherwise you are working at cross purposes. Activity requires food, inactivity doesn't.

Do you still fast? How and how often?

Nowhere is it written humans mustveat 3 big meals per day. I have been intermittent fasting for years now and it has helped immensely. I like the idea of letting your digestive system a chance to rest.

I have exercised regularly since age 25 - still do at 74, but I eat too much. In fact, the things I enjoy most in life are eating and sleeping.

Which is why I have to keep exercising.

To be specific,
  • 3.5 mile hike on a very hilly route - 70 minutes - three times per week
  • Two gym workouts per week, thirty minutes weights and machines followed by 30 minutes on stairmaster
  • Twenty-one minute interval workout (HR to 130), two or three times per week
  • 90 minute strenuous bike ride whenever possible - 3X/wk in summer, whenever possible in cold weather
  • 30 minute nap every afternoon.

I have exercised regularly since age 25 - still do at 74, but I eat too much. In fact, the things I enjoy most in life are eating and sleeping.

Which is why I have to keep exercising.

To be specific,
  • 3.5 mile hike on a very hilly route - 70 minutes - three times per week
  • Two gym workouts per week, thirty minutes weights and machines followed by 30 minutes on stairmaster
  • Twenty-one minute interval workout (HR to 130), two or three times per week
  • 90 minute strenuous bike ride whenever possible - 3X/wk in summer, whenever possible in cold weather
  • 30 minute nap every afternoon.
I'm impressed.

Nowhere is it written humans mustveat 3 big meals per day. I have been intermittent fasting for years now and it has helped immensely. I like the idea of letting your digestive system a chance to rest.
It's amazing the small amount of food needed for nutrition and energy.

Forum List

Back