Every dollar of Deshaun Watson’s new 5-year, $230 million to Cleveland Browns deal is guaranteed, setting record for highest money given to NFL player

I really hope Watson falls on his face. He was absolutely in the conversation for the best young QB in the NFL before he sat out the season. NFL execs can’t be happy with the Brown right now.
Why would other team execs care that the Browns killed their future yet again?

Why would other team execs care that the Browns killed their future yet again?
For a team that has struggled mightily for three decades without a QB, getting, statistically speaking, one of the top five QB's in the NFL for three first round picks is a great move for this franchise. The Rams have shown that first round draft picks are overrated. The Browns, traditionally, have made terrible draft choices.

Brady
Rodgers
Mahomes
Wilson
Watson/Allen

He's in the top echelon. Led the league in passing in 2020.

Last edited:
For a team that has struggled mightily for three decades without a QB, getting, statistically speaking, one of the top five QB's in the NFL for three first round picks is a great move for this franchise. The Rams have shown that first round draft picks are overrated. The Browns, traditionally, have made terrible draft choices.

Brady
Rodgers
Mahomes
Wilson
Watson/Allen

He's in the top echelon. Led the league in passing in 2020.

It’s 4 1’s they could have drafted him instead of Baker years ago. It’s not just the picks though it’s also the money. He’s going to account for huge percentage of the cap space. He can’t throw, catch, run and play defense too.

Paul Brown is my greatest hero ever in the NFL. Winner. Innovator.Teacher. Without Joe Montana, they would have at least 1 SB...... If Brown stayed with Clev he would have competed great with KC and GB and have at least 1 SB

He would have had multiple SBs if Greg Cook didn't get hurt his rookie year at Cincy. A few years later he made the mistake of making Homer Rice the Head Coach bypassing Bill Walsh. Walsh left shortly thereafter for SF.

Has Cleveland moved past Cincinnati and Baltimore if Lamar Jackson is healthy?
Not next year. Watson is going to get suspended possibly the entire season. That’s why I’m his contract he only makes one million next season. It’s so he won’t lose that much money because of being suspended.

anyway. Watson is a scumbag. A lot of Browns fans are walking away from the team. I would.

Rams had a magical run, but they won't repeat it this year. The Bucs are…….old. Rodgers has no one to throw to. The AFC is loaded.
True, but the afc beats up on itself while there’s a few good good teams in the nfc (if that) and the nfc only has to win the Super Bowl game and their conference claims the title. I agree that the afc is a much better conference though.

Not next year. Watson is going to get suspended possibly the entire season. That’s why I’m his contract he only makes one million next season. It’s so he won’t lose that much money because of being suspended.

anyway. Watson is a scumbag. A lot of Browns fans are walking away from the team. I would.
Makes no sense
3 first rounders and a second rounder for a QB that hasn’t played in two years and has to sit out?

Cleveland is crippling themselves

No assurance he won’t beat or abuse women again.

Makes no sense
3 first rounders and a second rounder for a QB that hasn’t played in two years and has to sit out?

3 first round picks is insane. To be honest with you I thought the guy would never play football again when all these women came out and accused him of sexual misconduct. There’s also the chance that he gets dealt a criminal case, so far all he has to deal with are civil cases. And the browns not only gave up 3 picks, but they gave him more guaranteed money than any player in football. Shocking to say the least.

Makes no sense

What s the cap hit from this contract? Good grief.

3 first round picks is insane.
Not really, you have to consider Cleveland's draft history. Three 1st rounders are great, provided you know how to draft. And even if you do, there are no guarantees. With Watson, you are getting a great QB who can get you to the Super Bowl. He may have to pay 22 women a million each, but the NFL is not going to keep him off the field, there are a shortage of dynamic QB's out there like Watson. The league needs his talent.

Not really, you have to consider Cleveland's draft history. Three 1st rounders are great, provided you know how to draft. And even if you do, there are no guarantees. With Watson, you are getting a great QB who can get you to the Super Bowl. He may have to pay 22 women a million each, but the NFL is not going to keep him off the field, there are a shortage of dynamic QB's out there like Watson. The league needs his talent.
With his history with women, a lengthy career is in doubt
That is why I question if it is fully guaranteed

With his history with women, a lengthy career is in doubt
That is why I question if it is fully guaranteed
I haven't read all the sordid details but didn't he just invite Instagram models over to his house to "tryout massage" and then show them his dick? That might be a pretty disgusting and classless move but it's far from sexual assault isn't it? You're a girl massaging an NFL qb at his house, who's nude but you're really not a masseuse, so what exactly did they think they were there for? What, they thought the world class trainers at the team facility just weren't nearly as good as their untrained hands? Watson might be a dirt bag but I find it hard to believe that these girls didnt go into this thing with their eyes open.

I still remember Kelly's 20 million deal with the bills it still seems outrageous today, but 230 million?

That’s a funny argument. Draft picks aren’t any lesser currency because the team that owns them has a poor history of drafting. Watson is a good qb, but has a lot of off the field baggage. The Browns gave up 3 picks and gave Watson the most guaranteed money anyone’s ever received. That’s a lot. I’m pretty sure he’s going to get suspended as well when the dust settles. Cleveland is losing a lot of fans because of what they did. They should have just kept baker and passed on Watson.

That’s a funny argument. Draft picks aren’t any lesser currency because the team that owns them has a poor history of drafting. Watson is a good qb, but has a lot of off the field baggage. The Browns gave up 3 picks and gave Watson the most guaranteed money anyone’s ever received. That’s a lot. I’m pretty sure he’s going to get suspended as well when the dust settles. Cleveland is losing a lot of fans because of what they did. They should have just kept baker and passed on Watson.
Whatever fans they're "losing" will be back when this team reaches the Super Bowl, and with Watson, they probably will. They have very little chance with Mayfield.

Of course draft picks are lesser currency if you can't draft well, and Cleveland drafts as poorly as anyone in the NFL. They know they are getting a very good QB in Watson. His off the field issues are something different, and people can argue about that if they want, I'm talking on the field.

I haven't read all the sordid details but didn't he just invite Instagram models over to his house to "tryout massage" and then show them his dick? That might be a pretty disgusting and classless move but it's far from sexual assault isn't it? You're a girl massaging an NFL qb at his house, who's nude but you're really not a masseuse, so what exactly did they think they were there for? What, they thought the world class trainers at the team facility just weren't nearly as good as their untrained hands? Watson might be a dirt bag but I find it hard to believe that these girls didnt go into this thing with their eyes open.
You're correct, but the girls were not Instagram hoes, they were actually massage therapists, at least most of them were.

Whatever fans they're "losing" will be back when this team reaches the Super Bowl, and with Watson, they probably will. They have very little chance with Mayfield.

Of course draft picks are lesser currency if you can't draft well, and Cleveland drafts as poorly as anyone in the NFL. They know they are getting a very good QB in Watson. His off the field issues are something different, and people can argue about that if they want, I'm talking on the field.
You’re obviously confusing Watson with the second coming of Joe Montana. Watson is a franchise QB, I’ll give you that, but he’s not a top 5 nfl qb. The browns aren’t sniffing the Super Bowl with their team. And now that they gave up 3 picks it’s going to get hard to get better

Forum List

Back