Even with Volatile Stock Market, Personal Retirement Accounts Are Better, Safer than Social Security

The Social Security Trust Fund is invested in US treasury securities, the safest investment.

WHAT???? Are you sure? The right wingers on here say it is in Obama and his Muslim buddies mattresses.
I am sure Obama gave most of the Social Security trust fund to Iran. True story. I saw it on FOX. LMAO.

In the world of politics there is no task more daunting than to convince a rightwinger to abandon a myth he's in love with.

Wrong. Interesting watching both of you contort.

Both of y'alls hero said otherwise:

Here’s how President Barack Obama answered CBS’s Scott Pelley’s question about whether he could guarantee that Social Security checks would go out on August 3, the day after the government is supposed to reach its debt limit: “I cannot guarantee that those checks [he included veterans and the disabled, in addition to Social Security] go out on August 3rd if we haven’t resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it.”

What Happened to the 2.6 Trillion Social Security Trust Fund - Forbes

Did the checks go out?

Since the OP wants NO government at all, how would you feel about putting your retirement money with some financial institution that under the OP's anarchy would have no legal obligation whatsoever to give any of it back, and no legal liability if it didn't?

No one is proposing such a system, nimrod.

Ah, so you admit we need government.

Where did I admit that? Your theory that we have to have Social Security or the other shitty system you proposed is bogus, of course.

You just said no one is proposing a system without Government, which means you admit we need government.

No I didn't. I said no one is proposing the shitty system you dreamed up.

The Social Security Trust Fund is invested in US treasury securities, the safest investment.

WHAT???? Are you sure? The right wingers on here say it is in Obama and his Muslim buddies mattresses.
I am sure Obama gave most of the Social Security trust fund to Iran. True story. I saw it on FOX. LMAO.

In the world of politics there is no task more daunting than to convince a rightwinger to abandon a myth he's in love with.

Here’s how President Barack Obama answered CBS’s Scott Pelley’s question about whether he could guarantee that Social Security checks would go out on August 3, the day after the government is supposed to reach its debt limit: “I cannot guarantee that those checks [he included veterans and the disabled, in addition to Social Security] go out on August 3rd if we haven’t resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it.”

Did the checks go out?

They sure did. Govt was only shut down 15 days. Why did O lie then?

Whoa yah, I think I'll let that blogger take care of my savings. Not.

The Cato institute is not a blogger. Furthermore, with an IRA you take care your savings yourself.

Cato institute is a crazy right wing group. I've typically found their findings to be ridiculously wrong.

ROFL! Thanks for unmasking yourself as the wackiest kind of commie nutburger.

Are you suggesting they aren't right wing?

The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization — a think tank – dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.

The Cato institute is not a blogger. Furthermore, with an IRA you take care your savings yourself.

Cato institute is a crazy right wing group. I've typically found their findings to be ridiculously wrong.

The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization — a think tank – dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.

How does that make them "crazy?"

Did the checks go out?

Yes, but not because Obama drew money from the so-called "Trust Fund" to pay them. The money came from general revenues.

It is the studies that make them crazy. Take the one for this very post. They don't look for the answers to problems, they look to skew info so it sounds like the right wingers ideas are correct.

It is the studies that make them crazy. Take the one for this very post. They don't look for the answers to problems, they look to skew info so it sounds like the right wingers ideas are correct.

Right. So anything you disagree with is "crazy." I'd say you're the one who's crazy. It's impossible for you to learn any fact that isn't posted at ThinkProgress or DailyKOS.

Right. So anything you disagree with is "crazy." I'd say you're the one who's crazy. It's impossible for you to learn any fact that isn't posted at ThinkProgress or DailyKOS.

Sorry but they are a right wing source and they are typically wrong. Do you believe everything that comes from the left wing sources? If a democrat source does a study on gun control should we just accept the findings.

Republicans are still fighting a program started in 1935, and sadly with almost the same fear-arguments. Well it's true they don't use the Social Security-is-communist argument much anymore, that was their biggie in the Thirties, but as yet they have not figured out how to kill (privatize) SS and get that money into private coffers. It must drive them nuts to see all those contributions end up in government hands not theirs.

I encourage people to contribute to IRAs and other retirement accounts, but after working for 20 years in the investment business - mostly on the institutional side but also on retail - most people are better served not investing their own money. Most people cannot do it.

There have been several studies that show individual investors underperform the mutual funds in which they invest, which underperform the market as a whole. The underperformance is staggering at 2%-4% per year. This underperformance wipes out all the benefits of managing one's own money compared to SS.

SS is a bad system and should be reformed similar to the Canada Pension Plan, but most people should still be in it and not be managing their own retirement.

Sorry but they are a right wing source and they are typically wrong. Do you believe everything that comes from the left wing sources? If a democrat source does a study on gun control should we just accept the findings.

ROFL! So it can't be true if it doesn't come from a left wing source?

stock-photo-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil-hear-no-evil-monkeys-1670371.jpg

Republicans are still fighting a program started in 1935, and sadly with almost the same fear-arguments. Well it's true they don't use the Social Security-is-communist argument much anymore, that was their biggie in the Thirties, but as yet they have not figured out how to kill (privatize) SS and get that money into private coffers. It must drive them nuts to see all those contributions end up in government hands not theirs.

Yes it does - the same way it would kill me to watch someone take a container load of cell phones and run it through a car shredder.

I encourage people to contribute to IRAs and other retirement accounts, but after working for 20 years in the investment business - mostly on the institutional side but also on retail - most people are better served not investing their own money. Most people cannot do it.

There have been several studies that show individual investors underperform the mutual funds in which they invest, which underperform the market as a whole. The underperformance is staggering at 2%-4% per year. This underperformance wipes out all the benefits of managing one's own money compared to SS.

SS is a bad system and should be reformed similar to the Canada Pension Plan, but most people should still be in it and not be managing their own retirement.

The Chilean system is what we should adopt.

No you seem to be missing the point. Your source is right wing and in this case obviously wrong. Being right wing doesn't mean always wrong, but everyone should always question their findings.

No you seem to be missing the point. Your source is right wing and in this case obviously wrong. Being right wing doesn't mean always wrong, but everyone should always question their findings.

I would say the same thing about your sources. In fact, left-wing sources aren't just wrong, they are thoroughly dishonest. They lie. Everything they produce is sleazy propaganda.

I would say the same thing about your sources. In fact, left-wing sources aren't just wrong, they are thoroughly dishonest. They lie. Everything they produce is sleazy propaganda.

That was my point. Glad you finally got it. In this case the Cato institute is skewing numbers to support their agenda. It is done by both sides.

Forum List

Back