European Parliament committee has voted in favor of Granting Rights to "Electronic Persons"

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I kid you not, the European elites are insane, wanting to grant any sort of rights to elaborate machines.

No matter how well a "Strong AI" computer can simulate human behavior it is nothing more than a machine and has no basis for any sort of rights.

Robot kill switches & legal status: MEPs endorse AI proposal

A European Parliament committee has voted in favor of a draft report that proposes granting legal status to robots, categorizing them as “electronic persons”.
The draft report, approved by 17 votes to two and two abstentions by the European Parliament Committee on Legal Affairs, proposes that “The most sophisticated autonomous robots could be established as having the status of electronic persons with specific rights and obligations, including that of making good any damage they may cause.”...
AI developers will have to ensure their creations follow a set of rules that prohibit them from harming a human or allowing a human to come to harm through their inaction. AI can protect their own existence under the rules, if this does not harm any humans.

“A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm,” the rules state.

An opt-out mechanism or kill switch is also proposed in the report, ensuring any rogue robots can be turned off easily (provided the designer hasn’t let their AI outsmart them)....
The report also calls for robot definitions and subcategories to be proposed based on the device’s autonomy, making certain categories with higher autonomy more responsible for their actions.

“Whereas in the scenario where a robot can take autonomous decisions, the traditional rules will not suffice to activate a robot's liability, since they would not make it possible to identify the party responsible for providing compensation and to require this party to make good the damage it has caused,” the report reads.
And, devoid the axioms of the great literature that built our civilization, the EU Parliament begins to further descend into anti-humanism and chaos.

Are you a human or a 'bot?

Read this statement:

The city council denied the protestor's permit because they fear violence.

Question:

Who was afraid?

Fail to ask for more information and you're a 'bot.

A human would know, in context, that it was the council that feared the violence, but using the rules of grammar the pronoun refers to the last noun, which would be the protesters.

Engineering Strong AI is indeed a challenge, but one that is coming on rapidly at exponential improvement annually.

AI robot 'friend' launched to chat and play games with lonely elderly

A human would know, in context, that it was the council that feared the violence, but using the rules of grammar the pronoun refers to the last noun, which would be the protesters.

Engineering Strong AI is indeed a challenge, but one that is coming on rapidly at exponential improvement annually.

Might think it was the protesters but, if the quote were spoken in a flat voice or simply read off a page than the "know" falls to "assume". AI is vastly improving but has a long way to go. Try, for example, (in a flat, un-emphasized voice) asking Siri "Where can I take a pee?" Tried it int he coffee shop with several friends. One got sent to a farmer's market. One got directions to public toilet in a city 45 miles away. One got a sort of "not understood question" message. I count it as very positive that they did not all get the same reply!

Might think it was the protesters but, if the quote were spoken in a flat voice or simply read off a page than the "know" falls to "assume". AI is vastly improving but has a long way to go. Try, for example, (in a flat, un-emphasized voice) asking Siri "Where can I take a pee?" Tried it int he coffee shop with several friends. One got sent to a farmer's market. One got directions to public toilet in a city 45 miles away. One got a sort of "not understood question" message. I count it as very positive that they did not all get the same reply!
I promise you that the engineers working on this problem will have it solved by 2024.

I think wireless access to a mainframe that could search for common phrases would be an early approach to addressing this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back