Essential Workers Feel They Are Getting Screwed

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
Going on unemployment these days may be a boon for some, but those that are still working?
Maybe not so much. Some sitting at home may make $9600.00 more annually with the $600.00 bonus, per week, on top of what they receive in unemployment benefits.

"Some people who continue to work through the coronavirus outbreak are upset that they’re getting no additional pay, while some unemployed people are now receiving more in unemployment benefits than they were paid on the job."

"Nationally, the average weekly unemployment benefit was $385 per week as of January 2020, Gary Burtless, a senior fellow in economic studies at the Brookings Institution, told PolitiFact. With the stimulus bonus, that person’s benefit would more than double to $985 per week."

Going on unemployment these days may be a boon for some, but those that are still working?
Maybe not so much. Some sitting at home may make $9600.00 more annually with the $600.00 bonus, per week, on top of what they receive in unemployment benefits.

"Some people who continue to work through the coronavirus outbreak are upset that they’re getting no additional pay, while some unemployed people are now receiving more in unemployment benefits than they were paid on the job."

"Nationally, the average weekly unemployment benefit was $385 per week as of January 2020, Gary Burtless, a senior fellow in economic studies at the Brookings Institution, told PolitiFact. With the stimulus bonus, that person’s benefit would more than double to $985 per week."

They may "feel screwed" now, but in the long run they are better off.

During the Terrible Steel Collapse of the late 70's and early 80's, steelworkers not only received unemployment checks from the state, they also received supplemental unemployment from their employers as well as trade readjustment checks from the federal government. But those benefits run out before they know it, and soon enough many of those guys didn't have a pot to urinate in.

During the Terrible Steel Collapse of the late 70's and early 80's, steelworkers not only received unemployment checks from the state, they also received supplemental unemployment from their employers as well as trade readjustment checks from the federal government. But those benefits run out before they know it, and soon enough many of those guys didn't have a pot to urinate in.
There may be another round of stimulus coming that will help the people who got left out.
Those that are still working feel that job security outweighs being on unemployment any day.

There may be another round of stimulus coming that will help the people who got left out.
Those that are still working feel that job security outweighs being on unemployment any day.

You believe that? Small business is getting royally screwed. I hope they're insured!

Why should those that are still employed be eligible for UNEMPLOYMENT?

The employed can always quit their jobs.
There are provisions for receiving unemployment if you feel that working during the pandemic is a problem.
If your hours or pay was cut you can get supplemental benefits.
Quitting is quitting. No benefit to that.

You believe that? Small business is getting royally screwed. I hope they're insured!
I don't entirely understand your question. On more stimulus? Like I said in the first sentence... Yes. Same with the second.

There are provisions for receiving unemployment if you feel that working during the pandemic is a problem.

If you quit for good cause, yes, you can receive UI.

So, when this ends, I'll still have a job; those on unemployment may find they don't and the government handout won't last forever.

These people should be glad they are still employed.

Grown-ups don't look to see who is getting more than they are, they go out and earn what they have.

Life isn't fair, and it does not owe you a fucking dime.

If you quit for good cause, yes, you can receive UI.

Sure, but each state has different rules as to what constitutes a "good cause".

You can't just quit a job and collect unemployment. You have to lose the job through no fault of your own (including being fired for things like bad performance, absenteeism).
And an employer can't let you go so you can benefit from a boosted claim.

Here is another fact check on Lyndsey Graham:

"As the bill neared final approval, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R.-S.C., was widely quoted as saying the bonus would incentivize people not to work and, in effect, force employers to compete with a $24 minimum wage."

Nationally, regular unemployment covers half your wages, up to a cap of about $450 in regular earnings per week, Heidi Shierholz, former chief economist at the U.S. Department of Labor, told PolitiFact. So, a person who normally earns $450 would receive $225 in regular unemployment benefits, plus the $600 bonus, or $825 per week — more than their regular pay. That’s about $21 per hour."

I would work, happily if asked. Unfortunately, I'm not "essential." My supervisor says otherwise though. Hes had to pick up the extra workload. Yeah, I got it better than him.

I would work, happily if asked. Unfortunately, I'm not "essential." My supervisor says otherwise though. Hes had to pick up the extra workload. Yeah, I got it better than him.

If you're not essential, why is your supervisor of non-essential workers essential?

If you're not essential, why is your supervisor of non-essential workers essential?

Depending on the field of business "emergency" services are considered essential , even if the routine business of the enterprise isn't. Teeth cleaning, example given, is non-essential but emergency extractions in the field of dentistry are. So the supervising staff can stay around to do that, but the paeons are dismissed for the extent of the pandemic.

Forum List

Back