Enter the Age of Censorship, FCC circumvents Congress to classify internet as Public Utility

It's a public utility. It should be. People need it to compete. It isn't a luxury. In fact.....it ought to be free like Broadcast television.

Yeah, we'll get real good quality Internet service once it's "free." I really wonder what planet you people hatch on that you can exist in such a cocoon of disillusion.

Avoiding the We the People (via Congress) Obama's FCC classifies the internet as a public utility, a trojan horse for unrestrained censorship against "hate speech."

It passed just this hour in a 3-2 vote.

Good to know that chief lobbyist for the bill was appointed by Obama (and funded by George Soros) to lead the new regulations.

OK, just think....If Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, et al. get their way you will most likely have to start paying a fee to access this site.

USMB will have to pay to play in order to get the bandwidth needed to keep this site running like it does now. Got it yet?

Or are you willing to wait 2-3 minutes to log on? Just stand back, turn on your timer to 120-180 seconds, wait, and let me know.

007 doesn't know what net neutrality is. He has only his talking points memo to go on.

G5000 has a good grasp on it. His prediction regarding how the government is going to fuck up the internet are a bit dramatic....but at least he knows what the fuck this is about.
As a regulator of public utilities, the federal government exercises price controls of those utilities, among many other power exercises.

And now you can add the internet to the list of public utilities.

It doesn't take a genius to connect the plausible dots.

It's a public utility. It should be. People need it to compete. It isn't a luxury. In fact.....it ought to be free like Broadcast television.
You are confirming the very fears people have about this government power grab.

Let me ask you something. When you moved into your current residence, how many public utility electric companies did you have to choose from?

Everywhere I have ever lived, I have had only one choice for an electric company. Public utilities are government-sanctioned monopolies.

I currently have four companies to choose from which enable me to access the internet. See the difference? Public utilities don't enable competition. They stifle it.

Yeah, we'll get real good quality Internet service once it's "free." I really wonder what planet you people hatch on that you can exist in such a cocoon of disillusion.

It's not going to be free. You will still be paying like you do now.
It means that websites won't be held hostage to pay extra in order to compete for bandwidth.
Lonelaugher is right to compare it to network television. Did people put up a fuss 60 years ago when CBS, NBC and ABC were regulated and free? How has that worked out for you so far? Pretty good, hmmmm?

007 doesn't know what net neutrality is. He has only his talking points memo to go on.

G5000 has a good grasp on it. His prediction regarding how the government is going to fuck up the internet are a bit dramatic....but at least he knows what the fuck this is about.
As a regulator of public utilities, the federal government exercises price controls of those utilities, among many other power exercises.

Let me ask you something. When you moved into your current residence, how many public utility electric companies did you have to choose from?

Everywhere I have ever lived, I have had only one choice for an electric company. Public utilities are government-sanctioned monopolies.

I currently have four companies to choose from which enable me to access the internet. See the difference? Public utilities don't enable competition. They stifle it.

And we used to have a whole lot more than four. Where I am in NJ we have two now: Comcast and Verizon.

This is not a gov't power grab. It's a monopoly in the making if the above-mentioned mega-corporations aren't stopped.

The playing field is shrinking and I suspect Comcast will soon be the only ISP we have here. Whatever leverage we can have against them is good news to me.

When government starts regulating business sectors, they draw circles on the map. Such and such corporations are allowed inside this circle, all the rest are not. This stifles competition and artificially inflates the cost of those services.

They did this with health insurance, they did this with cable TV, they did this with electricity.

How has that worked out for you so far? Pretty good, hmmmm?

It means that websites won't be held hostage to pay extra in order to compete for bandwidth.

If you're using more bandwidth then you should pay for more bandwidth. The long term result of this is going to be degradation of our Internet infrastructure or higher prices on consumers.

That aside, the FCC will probably get sued again anyway like they were last time they tried to do this and the courts struck down their rules.

If you're using more bandwidth then you should pay for more bandwidth. The long term result of this is going to be degradation of our Internet infrastructure or higher prices on consumers.

That aside, the FCC will probably get sued again anyway like they were last time they tried to do this and the courts struck down their rules.
So, sue. That's how we resolve conflicts here. It's not the FCC doesn't expect it.

The ease with which the pro net neutrality people have just slipped from the FCC regulating net neutrality to the FCC regulating the internet like it does power companies is very revealing, and serves to confirm everyone else's worst fears.

It is a public utility. You need only one source. It needs to be affordable and accessible to ALL citizens.

You have complaints with your electric company's service? I don't. Works every time.

It is a public utility. You need only one source. It needs to be affordable and accessible to ALL citizens.

You have complaints with your electric company's service? I don't. Works every time.
So you aren't really about "net neutrality". You are about government regulating every aspect of the internet.

Just as we suspected.

So you aren't really about "net neutrality". You are about government regulating every aspect of the internet.

Just as we suspected.

Nope. Just making sure everyone can get it and use it to join the new economy. I want it fast.....cheap and always there.......for every citizen.

Simple.

Between Net Neutrality, Immigration Amnesty and funding the TSA, it should be readily apparent that the Democrats and Republicans are one and the same.

I think wireless internet access should also be free and everywhere.
You remind me of a crack addict I once heard when I was a volunteer at a drug rehab.

The good folks of Narcotics Anonymous were bringing a meeting into the rehab, and before the meeting started, the chairperson of the meeting mentioned she was receiving premium movie channels she had not paid for. She then stated she needed to let the cable company know so they could disconnect those channels from her home.

Honesty is a critical component of recovering from an addiction, see.

Well, this just outraged the bejeesus out of one of the detoxing addicts. He screamed, "Cable TV should be free, LIKE THE ROADS!!!"

Clearly not a taxpayer. This is what people mean by the Entitlement Mindset™. Like society owes them something.

Neither roads nor wireless internet are "free", my friend. Someone has to pay for them, and it should be the user.

The ease with which the pro net neutrality people have just slipped from the FCC regulating net neutrality to the FCC regulating the internet like it does power companies is very revealing, and serves to confirm everyone else's worst fears.
Guys like you love confirmation of your worst fears no matter how misguided and false they are. There is nothing to fear here except the cable companies winning the legal right to drive smaller competitors out of business.

I think wireless internet access should also be free and everywhere.
You remind me of a crack addict I once heard when I was a volunteer at a drug rehab.

The good folks of Narcotics Anonymous were bringing a meeting into the rehab, and before the meeting started, the chairperson of the meeting mentioned she was receiving premium movie channels she had not paid for. She then stated she needed to let the cable company know so they could disconnect those channels from her home.

Honesty is a critical component of recovering from an addiction, see.

Well, this just outraged the bejeesus out of one of the detoxing addicts. He screamed, "Cable TV should be free, LIKE THE ROADS!!!"

Clearly not a taxpayer. This is what people mean by the Entitlement Mindset™. Like society owes them something.

Neither roads nor wireless internet are "free", my friend. Someone has to pay for them, and it should be the user.

You want to charge for breathable air as well? You try living and prospering without internet connection. Then tell me I'm a crack addict.

Forum List

Back