Energy Crisis May Trigger Winter Blackouts Across US: Coal Firm CEO

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Just more of that good job Biden and the leftoids are doing.

The left ruins everything it touches.

“We’ve actually had discussions with power utilities who are concerned that they simply will have to implement blackouts this winter,” Ernie Thrasher, the head of Xcoal Energy & Resources, was quoted by Bloomberg News as saying. “They don’t see where the fuel is coming from to meet demand.”

He added that utilities are switching from natural gas to coal during the fall and winter months to keep up with the demand.

The global demand for power has increased as economies attempt to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, triggering natural gas shortages primarily in Europe and Asia.

Power producers including Duke Energy have warned customers that bills may spike during this winter. Duke’s Piedmont Natural Gas unit stated Tuesday that higher gas prices and low production will raise customer bills by approximately $11 per month in North and South Carolina.

“That whole supply chain is stretched beyond its limits,” Thrasher, whose Pennsylvania-based company works in coal logistics, said. “It’s going to be a challenging winter for us here in the United States.”

Meanwhile, the New York State Public Service Commission told Bloomberg it is monitoring utilities in New York to determine whether there’s enough fuel for the winter.

“The utilities have hedged approximately 70 percent” of their residential electricity needs, the agency said, adding that it expects to meet demand this season.

The benchmark U.S. natural gas contract has been rallying, lately hitting seven-year highs, but its $5.62 per million British thermal units price is a far cry from the $30-plus being paid in Europe and Asia, Reuters noted.

However, the U.S. market is worried about the coming cold, particularly in New England and California—where prices for gas to be delivered this winter are far above the nationwide benchmark. In New England, buyers are expecting gas to cost more than $20 per million British thermal units.

In New England, gas for January delivery is soaring, trading this week at more than $22 at the region’s Algonquin hub, which would be the highest price paid in a month since January and February of 2014.

Well then we all need to go down to the coal store and load up the trunk.

Dimocrats of today insist on being propelled 50 years into the future all at once. They demand we stop using fossil fuels right now, despite the fact that the world is simply not in position to accept that.
To Dimocrats, I recommend you start living in reality, and accept the fact that we still need to utilize fossil fuels for a while yet.
If we do as you fuckers wish, energy costs are going to skyrocket as never before.

To everyone, I highly recommend you immediately stop voting for Dimocrats at all levels of government. These people are simply not competent enough to run anything.

Dimocrats of today insist on being propelled 50 years into the future all at once. They demand we stop using fossil fuels right now, despite the fact that the world is simply not in position to accept that.
To Dimocrats, I recommend you start living in reality, and accept the fact that we still need to utilize fossil fuels for a while yet.
If we do as you fuckers wish, energy costs are going to skyrocket as never before.

To everyone, I highly recommend you immediately stop voting for Dimocrats at all levels of government. These people are simply not competent enough to run anything.
Coal is dying because natural gas became the preferred choice between the two. While the natural gas industry invested billions in innovation the coal industry simply invested in politicians.

“We’ve actually had discussions with power utilities who are concerned that they simply will have to implement blackouts this winter,” Ernie Thrasher, the head of Xcoal Energy & Resources, was quoted by Bloomberg News as saying. “They don’t see where the fuel is coming from to meet demand.”
He added that utilities are switching from natural gas to coal during the fall and winter months to keep up with the demand.
The global demand for power has increased as economies attempt to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, triggering natural gas shortages primarily in Europe and Asia.
Power producers including Duke Energy have warned customers that bills may spike during this winter. Duke’s Piedmont Natural Gas unit stated Tuesday that higher gas prices and low production will raise customer bills by approximately $11 per month in North and South Carolina.
“That whole supply chain is stretched beyond its limits,” Thrasher, whose Pennsylvania-based company works in coal logistics, said. “It’s going to be a challenging winter for us here in the United States.”
Meanwhile, the New York State Public Service Commission told Bloomberg it is monitoring utilities in New York to determine whether there’s enough fuel for the winter.
“The utilities have hedged approximately 70 percent” of their residential electricity needs, the agency said, adding that it expects to meet demand this season.
The benchmark U.S. natural gas contract has been rallying, lately hitting seven-year highs, but its $5.62 per million British thermal units price is a far cry from the $30-plus being paid in Europe and Asia, Reuters noted.
However, the U.S. market is worried about the coming cold, particularly in New England and California—where prices for gas to be delivered this winter are far above the nationwide benchmark. In New England, buyers are expecting gas to cost more than $20 per million British thermal units.
In New England, gas for January delivery is soaring, trading this week at more than $22 at the region’s Algonquin hub, which would be the highest price paid in a month since January and February of 2014.

I absolutely LOVE your talking mice!!!!!!!

Look at Texas last winter. Doing great until they really need that wind energy and it feel flat on its face.

The Globull Warming- Climate Change gurus have been trying to get rid of coal for at least 30 years. And they want us all to starve and freeze while we lose our minds and die from their wonderful genetic drugs. And, it is all being done as part of a Divine Judgement on Americans for their Abominations and violence applied world wide.

Well then we all need to go down to the coal store and load up the trunk.
When I was a kid, every summer, my grandmother had a dump truck load of coal dumped in the barn lot. I often had the grab the coal bucket and walk outside to the coal pile, fill up the bucket and bring in enough coal for the pot-bellied stove in her bedroom which kept the downstairs warm. The upstairs where I slept was unheated'

Obviously, you are incapable of reading and comprehending. But why advertise it like that?
I comprehend just fine. A coal executive is whining again about his bad bet. They have only themselves to blame for their lack of innovation. What happens in capitalism when you are no longer competitive? In American capitalism you look to the government for handouts and regulation relief.

Instead if getting your news from the Moonies get your head out of your ass.

I posted this last Sunday, and here you are doing exactly as I predicted.

When I was a kid, every summer, my grandmother had a dump truck load of coal dumped in the barn lot. I often had the grab the coal bucket and walk outside to the coal pile, fill up the bucket and bring in enough coal for the pot-bellied stove in her bedroom which kept the downstairs warm. The upstairs where I slept was unheated'
This is actually kind of funny. My great-grandmother used to burn coal. Having grown up in a depression she was super frugal. She knew some place where you could pull up and shovel your trunk full for practically nothing and she unloaded it as needed from her trunk.

I comprehend just fine. A coal executive is whining again about his bad bet. They have only themselves to blame for their lack of innovation. What happens in capitalism when you are no longer competitive? In American capitalism you look to the government for handouts and regulation relief.

No, you obviously didn't comprehend at all. Much of the discussion in the OP is about NG. You saw the word 'coal' and that is all you saw. And a large part of the discussion is about short supplies. Don't bother responding you will only make yourself look foolish again.

"It is for the greater good". Does that work for you?

Forum List

Back