Emotional Support Animals- What a scam!

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
A sequel to my previous travails about my Condo.

So the deal to buy my Condo has been put on hold, at least for the time being, forcing me to get renters for the unit. In screening potential tenants, even though I specifically stated "No Pets" on the advertisement, I had a woman inquire about her three "Emotional Support Animals" (two dogs and one cat.) My first instinct was to tell her to get lost, but then I realized that I might be in some legal trouble here, so I checked on the law.

Well, turns out that not only am I not allowed to refuse someone who has a doctor's note claiming their dog is an emotional support animal, I am not even allowed to demand a pet deposit!

Now, I don't have a problem with LEGITIMATE service animals, but let's get real. This is a huge scam by people who want to be able to bring their animals into places where they aren't welcome, and they can just get someone to write up a "emotional support animal" prescription!

This is why I got out of being a landlord 22 years ago.

So the deal to buy my Condo has been put on hold, at least for the time being, forcing me to get renters for the unit. In screening potential tenants, even though I specifically stated "No Pets" on the advertisement, I had a woman inquire about her three "Emotional Support Animals" (two dogs and one cat.) My first instinct was to tell her to get lost, but then I realized that I might be in some legal trouble here, so I checked on the law.

Well, turns out that not only am I not allowed to refuse someone who has a doctor's note claiming their dog is an emotional support animal, I am not even allowed to demand a pet deposit!

Now, I don't have a problem with LEGITIMATE service animals, but let's get real. This is a huge scam by people who want to be able to bring their animals into places where they aren't welcome, and they can just get someone to write up a "emotional support animal" prescription!

typical liberal pablum...their laws are for everyone else

You owned Cabrini green?
Put down the bottle,

Wow! Best thing is to not even mention the 'pets' to her and find another non pet owner

I never heard back from her after he initial inquiry, and never refused her the opportunity. So it might be a moot point. I was just kind of surprised that as a landlord, I don't have any choice in the matter.

Just reject her on grounds of credit check.

If she presses state you found some irregularities in the check.

It is VERY subjective but can help shield you from any potential litigation.

Keeps the coons away as well

First, that would be dishonest.
Secondly, I'm really not expecting to keep owning the property for that long, as eventually this sale is going to go through. (I kind of feel bad about selling it now because I put a lot of work getting it ready for tenants. It's vastly superior to the property I bought 17 years ago.)
Third, did you need to be racist?

What the fuck?

You should let her move in with no cost to her. No rent and you should pay the utilities.

What kind of Communist are you? Fucking hypocrite.

Fucken liberals will screw you everytime.

I won’t say “Emotional Support Animals” are a scam. I will say thebclaoms for their need and their usefulness are often overblown.

A couple suggestions:

1. Require a written prescription and letter from a PSYCHIATRIST (not a psychologist or therapist).

2. Limit it to one (1) animal.

At least here in MA, I believe you’d be in compliance with the law. At least as it’s been explained to me and my wife.

How long is the sale postponed for? Just a couple of months??? Call her current and/or previous landlords and ask how good/bad of a tenant she was and about her animals as well.......MAYBE she's a good tenant and keeps her animals in line......maybe

If you do rent to her, let her know up front and in the rental agreement that she is responsible for any & all damages and clean up

You don't have to charge her a pet deposit, but you can double her regular deposit.
And depending on what state you live in, there is a height/weight/breed limit. There can also be a limit to how many pets can be in one unit.

I myself am looking into a "support pet" because I live alone, and some other stuff. The place I live in allows support pets, but not "regular" pets. And in Texas, landlords are not allowed to ask or demand pet deposits on service animals of any kind.

There are lots of "loopholes" you can use to get around the pet issue. You just have to find them with regards to the state you are in, and the county and city you are in.

Well, since the only emotion you ever feel is hatred..............

How long is the sale postponed for? Just a couple of months??? Call her current and/or previous landlords and ask how good/bad of a tenant she was and about her animals as well.......MAYBE she's a good tenant and keeps her animals in line......maybe

If you do rent to her, let her know up front and in the rental agreement that she is responsible for any & all damages and clean up

I haven't heard from her, and I've had at least other interested renters... so it's a moot point.

The problem with the sale is they want to buy ALL the units in the Condo Complex, not just mine. A small minority is suing on technical grounds, and while I don't think they have a leg to stand on, they can drag this out for months or maybe years. So I'm just looking to cover mortgage payments.

Bill Cosby had a Rhinoceros

Take your time responding back---till after you have another renter in place.

a439db0110540b12 (1).png

I agree that the whole emotional support thing has gotten out of control.
Just call it the policy of Animal Inclusion, and of course as a landlord you don't have rights.
Liberalism in a nutshell.

Why do you think it’s a scam? Present your evidence or lock your own thread. Do you know this woman? Maybe she needs the pets.

If the restrictions are based on local ordinances why not run for local office? That's the American way. If they are based on state and federal regs you need to get involved in politics.

What I will never get is why something small and easier to take care of isn't enough for those who need a pet for such a reason, or do they love having an animal that will only stick out like a sore thumb?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back