Emmabuntu Linux

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Supposedly the most user friendly Linux version available for Linux newbies.

Emmabuntüs is a lightweight Linux distribution that is based on Debian 11.6 and offers both the Xfce and LXQt desktop environment. Normally, I'm not a big fan of recommending the Xfce desktop to new users, simply because it offers so many configuration options that it can be a bit daunting.

However, Emmabuntüs does configure the desktop with a handy dock and top bar, as well as a first run wizard that walks you through the addition of extra codecs and fonts such that most users won't need to bother getting too deeply involved with configurations… at least not at first. Sure, once you get the hang of the Xfce desktop, you can always dive in as deep as you want. But for new users, Emmabuntüs offers just the right hand-holding to get anyone up to speed.
Emmabuntüs is a Linux distribution geared toward those who don't know Linux

I once had a Silicon Graphics Indigo running Irix version 5.3 running in my office, when I worked for a university in the 90's.

I pulled it out of a dumpster at some defense contractor in Texas.

Supposedly the most user friendly Linux version available for Linux newbies.

Emmabuntüs is a Linux distribution geared toward those who don't know Linux

Man, I got this tarball-ish Linux that is almost like Windows 10

Idk where it came from or anything. But it would be good if someone didn't need a bunch of Windows things.

I uhh, got into Linux from a friend. He really helped me out a lot with it.

He makes a living off of it, and I know another guy that does too.

His favorite is CentOS, though. That system is vastly different than Ubuntu.

Here's the Ubuntu Windows 10 thing: (I think)

From here it's looking like "Linux Lite".
Now I gotta find that damn disk and see exactly what it is. :102:

Last edited:
I would like to take this moment to once again point out the idiocy of so many businesses paying out the nose for Windows servers and all their licensing fees. When all you have to do is use an older PC, install Linux, put all the storage memory you want on it... share the drives. And just like that you have a failsafe file server that works natively with all 3 operating systems.
I made the file server we use about 7 years ago. Made no changes to it. And it has been running for 7 years.

Forum List

Back