Embattled Rep. George Santos Reportedly Called a Liar on House Floor During Rough First Day in Congress

Ahh..I love guys like this..livens up Congress. I'm not so very phased about his lying..after all, he's not the first, nor the worst..but he is the latest.

Incoming Rep. George Santos faced a rocky first day in Congress on Tuesday, with reports surfacing that he dodged reporters outside his office and was called a liar by at least one of his colleagues on the House floor.
Various outlets report that the embattled newcomer approached his Capitol Hill office early Tuesday and turned in the opposite direction when he spotted reporters waiting for him. Though they tried to pursue him, Santos ultimately left the area without answering any questions.
Later, while inside the House chamber, Santos "could be seen sitting alone toward the back of the chamber busying himself on his phone," Fox News reports.
RELATED: Incoming Rep. George Santos Apologizes for 'Embellishing My Resume': 'I Said I Was Jew-ish'

But Santos had to make at least one public appearance — to stand on the House floor and vote for a House speaker.
Washington Post journalist Marianna Sotomayor reports that, when Santos stood to vote for Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday, "a Hispanic Democrat yelled 'mentiroso!' which translates to 'liar' in English."
In a followup report on Dec. 23, the outlet uncovered that Santos was a call center employee for Dish Network in 2012, and that his family frequently struggled to pay rent in Queens over the years, borrowed thousands of dollars from an acquaintance who claimed they were never repaid, and had a criminal history in Brazil that had never been resolved.
According to the Times, Brazilian court records show that Santos had been charged with fraud at one point after writing hot checks. The publication also reported that he confessed to the crime and was charged but authorities were later "unable to locate him" for punishment.
"I am not a criminal here — not here or in Brazil or any jurisdiction in the world," Santos told The Post. "Absolutely not. That didn't happen."
This week, Brazilian authorities told the Times they were reviving their case against Santos, now that they had verified his whereabouts.

Late last month, the Nassau County District Attorney's Office announced it was looking into Santos and reports surfaced that federal investigators had also opened an inquiry into Santos' financial disclosures.
I am not defending George Santos. Embellishing his formal and informal resume the way he has is not cool, not commendable, not defensible. But at least he only embellished to make himself look more important, better educated, better qualified, more marketable than he knew he was. He isn't the only politician in Washington who has done that.

Far worse are those who have claimed evidence they didn't have, made accusations with no basis in fact, created elaborate scenarios that never happened in order to hurt somebody else. Those who have maliciously and unethically attacked and maligned people and denied them due process in an effort to destroy them or seriously damage them or somebody associated with them.

Santo will never enjoy the admiration and respect he might have earned from his colleagues if he never had stretched the truth so much or flat out lied. But those fabrications may not affect how he does his job in any way. Since the people of his District elected him and choose not to recall him, McCarthy is right to assign him to committees and give him a chance to do the job he was elected to do.

Funny how democrats never call Biden a liar no matter how outrageous his statements turn out to be. It looks like democrat bigots hate the idea of a hispanic republican.

I am not defending George Santos. Embellishing his formal and informal resume the way he has is not cool, not commendable, not defensible. But at least he only embellished to make himself look more important, better educated, better qualified, more marketable than he knew he was. He isn't the only politician in Washington who has done that.
I don't live in NY. I agree with what you posted and would like to add that voters in NY don't impress me much. It is up to them to vett their choices and remove those they find undesirable. His detractors never seem fazed when told the vegetable has lied about the exact same things and plagiarized others work and still they voted for him to be POTUS.

Ahh..I love guys like this..livens up Congress. I'm not so very phased about his lying..after all, he's not the first, nor the worst..but he is the latest.

Incoming Rep. George Santos faced a rocky first day in Congress on Tuesday, with reports surfacing that he dodged reporters outside his office and was called a liar by at least one of his colleagues on the House floor.
Various outlets report that the embattled newcomer approached his Capitol Hill office early Tuesday and turned in the opposite direction when he spotted reporters waiting for him. Though they tried to pursue him, Santos ultimately left the area without answering any questions.
Later, while inside the House chamber, Santos "could be seen sitting alone toward the back of the chamber busying himself on his phone," Fox News reports.
RELATED: Incoming Rep. George Santos Apologizes for 'Embellishing My Resume': 'I Said I Was Jew-ish'

But Santos had to make at least one public appearance — to stand on the House floor and vote for a House speaker.
Washington Post journalist Marianna Sotomayor reports that, when Santos stood to vote for Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday, "a Hispanic Democrat yelled 'mentiroso!' which translates to 'liar' in English."
In a followup report on Dec. 23, the outlet uncovered that Santos was a call center employee for Dish Network in 2012, and that his family frequently struggled to pay rent in Queens over the years, borrowed thousands of dollars from an acquaintance who claimed they were never repaid, and had a criminal history in Brazil that had never been resolved.
According to the Times, Brazilian court records show that Santos had been charged with fraud at one point after writing hot checks. The publication also reported that he confessed to the crime and was charged but authorities were later "unable to locate him" for punishment.
"I am not a criminal here — not here or in Brazil or any jurisdiction in the world," Santos told The Post. "Absolutely not. That didn't happen."
This week, Brazilian authorities told the Times they were reviving their case against Santos, now that they had verified his whereabouts.

Late last month, the Nassau County District Attorney's Office announced it was looking into Santos and reports surfaced that federal investigators had also opened an inquiry into Santos' financial disclosures.
After what the demrats pulled with the media on a phony Russia collusion hoax against Trump I am not all the upset about Santos.

After what the demrats pulled with the media on a phony Russia collusion hoax against Trump I am not all the upset about Santos.
Again Santos' embellisnments only served to try to make him look better than he knew he was but didn't hurt anybody else. So yeah, we don't have to condone the lies or admire him for them. But he may or may not be a good legislator. We'll see how it goes. Those who bear false witness against others are not good legislators and should be expelled for malfeasance.

It still is a symptom in our nation now that there are a percentage of elected officials whose backgrounds are too questionable. It is like they promoted on purpose or given a smoother way to power.

Funny how democrats never call Biden a liar no matter how outrageous his statements turn out to be. It looks like democrat bigots hate the idea of a hispanic republican.
I thought he was Jewish?

I agree with your opening statement! I see that our USMB crew is emulating the standards of the House Representatives(combatants) & our Moderators are emulating the House Speaker(REFEREE);

"Alright gentlemen we have already been through the rules in the back rooms. I want a dirty bout, no civilized demeanor allowed @ any time. In case of false accusations the accused is expected to counter accuse the accuser. Slander & bald faced lies are encouraged whenever possible as are offensive language & gestures. When I say BREAK I expect the both of you to totally ignore me & keep tearing into one another. If one of you find yourself flabbergasted to the point of being speechless do not expect any mercy. Flip off one another & head to your corners. May the best accuser win!"

No one could possibly expect more action out of a message board than can be found in our political forum of USMB thanks to our Moderators low moderation based on free speech! USMB, don't live life without us!

So what’s the difference between Santos and every other politician? He’s a Republican. Our Howdy Doody President lies constantly and yet he is excused….members of the house and senate constantly bend the truth, lie, and cheat, yet they are granted a pass. The ethical standards demanded by those that elect them should be consistent regardless of mainstream media’s coverage and interpretation of truth and fact.

Forum List

Back