Elon Musk unveils working prototype of ‘brain-implant’ device

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
"Elon Musk on Friday unveiled a working prototype of his firm’s much-anticipated brain-implant device — which the billionaire tech tycoon believes can cure everything from blindness to quadriplegia.

In an online presentation, Musk showed off his new Neuralink machine — and even showed off an early version of the gadget that he implanted in a pig.

“I think it’s going to blow your minds,” Musk told viewers. “It’s like a Fitbit in your skull with tiny wires.”

The mind-bending invention — meant to achieve human “symbiosis with artificial intelligence” — removes a “coin-sized” piece of a person’s skull then injects a tiny chip to assist with the motor control and other functions, according to Musk.

The circular chip, injected near the ear, will also allow people to control phones or computers with their minds, according to Neuralink, which featured the live footage on its company website.

During the demonstration, Musk introduced a pig named Gertrude, who he said had successfully undergone a trial for installing device. The poor porker was shown with a tag near her ear — presumably where the device had been injected.

Musk’s demo also showcased a sewing-machine-like robot that installs the microchip by stitching it into the brain using thin electrode-studded wires."

Elon Musk wants YOU to build a brain-computer interface

I can't wait, I need a few cells replaced, and I don't smoke any whacky tobacky. I wonder what it will sell for retail in about 25 years.

73094e062316fa1224d2661b4c761a22.jpg

The Matrix is born.....

I suppose. This is the first one I've seen with an actual demonstration with an implanted Fitbit like device by a surgical robot (Other companies like Fitbit are doing exterior controlled devices to help the user and their brain. Just the robot itself is impressive. I think people with neurological injuries will volunteer to be implanted as well as gamers as they are crazy about their games.

Seems to have fascinating possibilities, and certainly isn't to be rejected out of hand. That said, a few others are welcome to go first.

Thanks to the success of an initial safety trial for an implantable device that can translate the brain’s electrical impulses into readable signals, we’re a step closer to being able to text—or otherwise interface with our devices—using just our thoughts.

Best of all, this new brain-computer interface (BCI)—“brain modem,” if you will—doesn’t require a hole in your head. It does, however, require a hole in your chest. And that’s just one factor that could slow development of the tech, to say nothing of complicating any future public rollout.

Forum List

Back