Electoral College

[
Naw- it's like this.

If the EC confirms what the people wanted- then it's okay.
When it chooses someone the PEOPLE clearly rejected, it's no good.

Let's leave aside for a moment that it has given us disasters like Trump and Bush-43.

It forces the election to pander to the interests of a few swing states instead of the whole country. If people in California have to spend a lot of money to swing how Nevada turns out, that's kind of a problem, given California has a lot more people.
You're really dense.

The EC guarantees diversity. Guarantees the entire county has a voice.

EC stops 4 pandered states from turning America into a shithole.

Nope. One person, one vote.

EC was implemented to placate states who's economies depended on slavery.

One person, one vote.

Exactly what that map shows.

and California, New York, Texas, and Florida would make all the decisions.
Popular vote. Populous places will have influence.

You know why?

That's where most of the population is!

We live in a Republic which is fifty states that make a Union.

Each State voice matter in the election process and was granted a way to make their State population matter in the process of electing the President.

I know you prefer that States have less say and let the few big States bully the smaller populated States but the founding Fathers were smarter than you when they created this system.

So as you argue the Popular Vote is all that should matter, well it does on your State level but Nationally as a whole for the President it take a back seat to the Electoral College because again we are a Republic of Fifty Individual States and yet you will be daft as usual...
Instead we let the minority bully the majority.

Thanks makes a lotta sense.

View attachment 310647

Untrue and you have known that every President has been elected this way, so why is it now you disagree with it?

Simple, you hate the reality that the Majority of States rejected Clinton and want a system you can rig to make sure Democrats never lose...
A. Not a Clinton supporter. Never have been, never will be.

B. Thought the electoral college had outlived it's usefulness when I learned about it in highschool government class.

C. If there are more Democrats, why shouldn't a democrat be president?

How many here are aware that Originally MOST of the States did not even vote for electors the State Legislature picked them?

As they did their Senators.

I was.

Not looking it up right now, but if I remember correctly, it was the Seventeenth Amendment that changed the way Senators are selected to having the people vote to elect them.

I believe the intent was originally to leave it entirely up to each state to determine how its Electors and Senators would be chosen; and that before the Seventeenth Amendment, most states had their state legislatures choose their Senators.

I don't know how long it's been the case, but at this time, I think all states choose their Electors according to a vote of the people. The people vote for who they want to be President, and the states send Electors pledged to support the Presidential candidate chosen by the voters. In all but a few states, it's “winner takes all”, whichever candidate wins the whole state, the state sends only Electors pledged to support that candidate. I think there are two or three states that divide it up in some way, that results in Electors are sent possibly pledged to different candidates, based on portions of the state supporting different candidates.

But according to the original intent, and probably still legal, any given state could choose to let its legislature choose its Electors, without any vote from the people.

Many, many years ago (I want to think that it was 1984), California actually had the voters vote directly for the Electors. Candidates for the Elector position were listed on the ballot, along with a notation indicating which Presidential candidate each was pledged to support, and you were instructed to vote for up to some specified number of them. If, for example, you wanted Ronald Reagan to be reelected, you would vote for Electors that were pledged to support Reagan.

By 1832 only South Carolina still let the legislature pick electors. Senators were selected until like 1916 or something. South Carolina went to elections in 1860.

Why we have it

58994603_10155823303167581_2739722121579069440_n.png
Nope. One person, one vote.

EC was implemented to placate states who's economies depended on slavery.

If the US gets rid of the electoral college, then we are no longer a republic. States would have to secede, or else they would just be slaves to other states.

When you are a Republic like ours that is life in electing the President!

Also when this country was created your voice was the House and not the President.

It is sad how you hate the Republic you live in...

That's kind of retarded. We only have ONE national referendum on which way the country should go, and that's a presidential election.

Most people couldn't name their congressman. A regular civics test I practice on people is to ask them the names of our two senators in IL. Most can't guess one.

The people were asked in 2016 which way they wanted to go. They overwealming voted for Mrs. Clinton, but this arcane relic of the 18th century picked Trump, who proves every day he is unfit for office.

Now people are dying because of it.

Also when this country was created your voice was the House and not the President.

That's kind of retarded. We only have ONE national referendum on which way the country should go, and that's a presidential election.

Most people couldn't name their congressman. A regular civics test I practice on people is to ask them the names of our two senators in IL. Most can't guess one.

The people were asked in 2016 which way they wanted to go. They overwealming voted for Mrs. Clinton, but this arcane relic of the 18th century picked Trump, who proves every day he is unfit for office.

They wouldn't have died if Hillary was in charge?

You're really dense.

The EC guarantees diversity. Guarantees the entire county has a voice.

EC stops 4 pandered states from turning America into a shithole.

Uh, no. The problem is we end up pandering to smaller states than the people at large.

If a majority only lives in four states, and those states all voted in a monolithic block, then that is what should pick the president.

They don't, of course.

So instead, we have three busted ass rust belt states deciding the election, like that makes sense?

You guys also need to think about the future. At some point- soon - Texas is going to be a blue state. At that point, it will become mathematically impossible for Republicans to win.

They wouldn't have died if Hillary was in charge?

Imagine how much vodka consumption would have increased under a Hillary presidency.
Vodka kills the virus.

Instead we let the minority bully the majority.

Thanks makes a lotta sense.
Question: How does a minority with less power bully a majority with more power?

Answer: It can't. You're just triggered because the minority has any power at all.

Why we have it

58994603_10155823303167581_2739722121579069440_n.png
That map is nonsensical, inherently. States only count as a " Bloc" if there is an electoral college. That map would only make any sense if there was an electrical college, and the electoral votes of each State were in perfect proportion to their populations and all EC votes went to the popular vote winner in each State.

Silly right wing rubes...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back