El Nino Watch Party 2023

And this is entering winter for Antarctica. Pretty fucked up! This could compound itself during their spring and summer to be something truly fucking ugly. We will see but I wouldn't be shocked to see this as a possible tipping point. The arctic on the otherhand is holding study because of the extra moisture and extra cloud cover allowing for more first year new ice. The question is how many more years or decades will it take before this negative forcing allow for the ice to remain in the arctic.

Yes, the onset of winter there and its looking like summer from the ice standpoint.

I am guessing that it will mean
1. More rainfall over Africa which will reduce SAL. This will allow for more instability over the mdr in June-August.
2. Increase SST's over the MDR and Eastern Atlantic will allow rapid development of tropical waves into cyclones.

I'd look for some impressive activity in the mdr this season and possibly this countering the nino in the eastern pacific...This is anything but 1983, 1984, 1986, 1991, 1997, 2002, 2006, 2009 and 2013 as the atlantic is far warmer, far higher instability + reduced SAL and lower shear. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the caribbean and southern gulf will start seeing higher shear in July-Oct time period so activity will probably be lower but we'll probably see a few canes in the mdr that reverse fast into the weakeness between the bermuda and azores ridges.

This is why the ecmwf seasonal forecast forecast slightly above avg even through we're going towards a strong nino in the Eastern Pacific.

MJp6TID.png

What will limit this one that didn't limit 2015 is 3.4 is near 140 west and so far it is far cooler compared to 2015. Sure near central America is similar but that isn't were these events are rated.

So where are we going to end up? Getting colder? SUPER EL NINO? Post your predictions

The El Nino (and El Nina) weather phenomenon were observed and named by the first Spanish explorers to The Pacific nearly 500 years ago...

... despite the fact that neither Europeans nor Pacific Islanders drove very large SUVs.

The El Nino (and El Nina) weather phenomenon were observed and named by the first Spanish explorers to The Pacific nearly 500 years ago...

... despite the fact that neither Europeans nor Pacific Islanders drove very large SUVs.
No one here or anywhere else has suggested that ENSO is the result of AGW.

Forum List

Back