El Nino Watch Party 2023

1689205741365.png

The June global surface temperature was 1.89°F (1.05°C) above the 20th-century average of 59.9°F (15.5°C), making it the warmest June on record. This marked the first time a June temperature exceeded 1.8°F (1°C) above the long-term average. June 2023 was 0.23°F (0.13°C) warmer than the previous June record from 2020, but 0.52°F (0.29°C) cooler than the all-time highest monthly temperature anomaly on record (March 2016). June 2023 marked the 47th consecutive June and the 532nd consecutive month with temperatures at least nominally above the 20th-century average.

For the third consecutive month, global ocean surface temperature hit a record high. Weak El Niño conditions that emerged in May continued to strengthen in June, as above-average sea surface temperatures returned to the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Globally, June 2023 set a record for the highest monthly sea surface temperature anomaly of any month in NOAA’s 174-year record. June heat was not limited to the ocean surface; the Southern Hemisphere had its warmest June on record and the Northern Hemisphere tied 2019 for its warmest June.

This winter has confirmed what scientists had feared — the sea ice around Antarctica is in sharp decline, with experts now concerned it may not recover.

Earlier this year, scientists observed an all-time low in the amount of sea ice around the icy continent, following all-time lows in 2016, 2017 and 2022.

Usually, the ice has been able to recover in winter, when Antarctica is reliably dark and cold.

But this year is different. For the first time, the sea ice extent has been unable to substantially recover this winter, leaving scientists baffled.

'Five-sigma' event unfolding
Physical oceanographer Edward Doddridge has been communicating with scientists and the community about the drastic changes happening around Antarctica.

He said vast regions of the Antarctic coastline were ice free for the first time in the observational record.

"To say unprecedented isn't strong enough," Dr Doddridge said.

"For those of you who are interested in statistics, this is a five-sigma event. So it's five standard deviations beyond the mean. Which means that if nothing had changed, we'd expect to see a winter like this about once every 7.5 million years.

All I know is our monsoon is late, which is normal for El Nino. It's also been the hotttest July on record due to high pressure that has camped out over the Southwest and won't budge. I blame all the climate douche bags who fly all over the world in private jets.

All I know is our monsoon is late, which is normal for El Nino. It's also been the hotttest July on record due to high pressure that has camped out over the Southwest and won't budge. I blame all the climate douche bags who fly all over the world in private jets.
Do you also blame ICE vehicles and power plants burning fossil fuels?

Forum List

Back