Egypt's Baradei Under House Arrest

The youth of the middle east want democracy.

They have protested for it in these countries.

You would think Americans would be glad

I wish I could agee.

You underestimate the power of the Koran.

Tocqueville writes in "Democracy in America," that while the Christian faith is fully compatible with democracy, Islam cannot be. Islam "will never long predominate in a cultivated and democratic age, whilst [Christianity] is destined to retain its sway at these as at all other periods" (Part II, First Book, Chapter 5, ¶ 1103).
If by Democracy you mean the people electing their leaders.

Then yes, Egyptians have no problem with democracy.

But, they reject the secular style of Democracy and Laws that America and the West has devolve into.

In essence, they want Democratic elections, but their laws still based on Islamic principals and laws. :cool:

You mean like Iraq's new secular democracy still based on Islamic principles and laws? I don't think the U.S. can ever succeed in forcing western democracy on other nations, especially in the mideastern region. We just have to accept they are what they are, and we are what we are.

Who is this President Mubarak to want to rule Egypt for 30 years?!!. He is getting what he deserves.!
He should have handed over power to a younger more progressive leader who is more in tune with the
needs and wants of the masses. And this should have been done a long time ago.
All the worlds dictators should take note and resign.!!

Leading a country should not be a job for life,!!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Jos
no, they want rid of a brutal u.s. Backed dictator. :doubt:

and they want to replace it will a 10 fold more brutal islamic dictator, that will expell all the christians, make sure all women are covered head to toe and sharia law reigns supreme! :eusa_whistle:

qft

I think for that to be truth, we first have to identify who "they" are. If Egyption women are also westernized, and many are, they would loudly object to being completely covered. Trust me.

Who is this President Mubarak to want to rule Egypt for 30 years?!!. He is getting what he deserves.!
He should have handed over power to a younger more progressive leader who is more in tune with the
needs and wants of the masses. And this should have been done a long time ago.
All the worlds dictators should take note and resign.!!

Leading a country should not be a job for life,!!

He was grooming his son to take over.

You mean like Iraq's new secular democracy still based on Islamic principles and laws? I don't think the U.S. can ever succeed in forcing western democracy on other nations, especially in the mideastern region. We just have to accept they are what they are, and we are what we are.
True.

America's form of democracy; laws, values, and traditions are based on Judeo/ Christian underpinnings.

So doesn't it seem logical that Iraq's new democracy would be based on Islamic laws and values. :cool:

and they want to replace it will a 10 fold more brutal islamic dictator, that will expell all the christians, make sure all women are covered head to toe and sharia law reigns supreme! :eusa_whistle:

qft

I think for that to be truth, we first have to identify who "they" are. If Egyption women are also westernized, and many are, they would loudly object to being completely covered. Trust me.

Just because a woman doesn't wear a burka it does not mean she is westernized necessarily.

True, some Egyptian women have gotten out of hand and adopted Western styles and manners.

But that will change if the right people gain control of their nation and reintroduce Islamic standards. :cool:

True, some Egyptian women have gotten out of hand and adopted Western styles and manners.

But that will change if the right people gain control of their nation and reintroduce Islamic standards. :cool:

Who are the right people though? the Muslim Brotherhood? correct me if I'm wrong but the people in Egypt are not rioting to be more Islamic, they are rioting because of a corrupt government, bad economy and not enough jobs to go around.

What these youth want is not the same democracy you are thinking of, they spit in the face of American democracy.

Are you kidding? I haven't studied the leanings of younger people in Egypt, but the young generations in Iran are extremely westernized and want to stay that way. They outnumber the elders by two thirds of the population in Iran, and it's only a matter of time before the Mullahs will be sitting all alone. Are they still Muslims? Most are, but so what? Perhaps if people stopped trying to lump peaceful Muslims in with al-Qaeda type radicals, there would be fewer recruits joining the latter. People (any people) can be denigrated only so much before they will begin to rise up as one.

So you are saying the youth in Iran want to embrace American style democracy? I am sure some would like it but I wouldn't want to say most of them do.

Politically, they want anything other than a dictatorship, which became clear by their own uprising after the 2009 reelection of Achmedinijad. The Mullahs still dictate who will win, even though Iran supposedly holds "democratic" elections.

Who are the right people though? the Muslim Brotherhood? correct me if I'm wrong but the people in Egypt are not rioting to be more Islamic, they are rioting because of a corrupt government, bad economy and not enough jobs to go around.
I agree that the riots are about corrupt government and terrible economy.

But the people have also seen that western style democracy isn't the answer.

Hopefully, the right leader will emerge and restore an Islamic style of government. :cool:

Oh that's a good way to do it, tear the country up, burn it down and scare off every tourist around the world for the next year.. Yay team.

And how fucked up is that?

The right people? :eek::cuckoo:

Out of hand? :eek::cuckoo:

That would be nice. I don't believe you know bvery much about the region. In fact, I know you don't. This could be either very good or very bad, depending upon who the new regime is. You would know that if you actually understood the middle east

I agree that the riots are about corrupt government and terrible economy.

But the people have also seen that western style democracy isn't the answer.

Hopefully, the right leader will emerge and restore an Islamic style of government. :cool:

But, Islam is already the state religion in Egypt right? how would making Egypt more Islamic solve their economis issues?

That would be nice. I don't believe you know bvery much about the region. In fact, I know you don't. This could be either very good or very bad, depending upon who the new regime is. You would know that if you actually understood the middle east

Truth Matter is indeed very very niaeve if she believes Muslim youth are ravenous for American style democracy.

Forum List

Back