Education: My Idea for Compromise

AtheistBuddah

Jun 30, 2014
Nice try, internet :)
We are all familiar with the ideological battle being waged today between evolution and creationism in our classrooms. Creationists demand that the origin as told in Genesis should be taught in the science classroom and scientists are demanding that it stay out because it is not science. I can understand and relate with how both sides must feel.

On the one hand, you have scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson saying that they wouldn't like it if scientists started knocking down Sunday school doors telling them what to teach and that's a fair argument.

On the other hand you have creationist feeling like the theory of evolution is being forced on their children because education is mandated for all children under 18 and therefore science class is mandated for all children under 18 and if science class teaches evolution then by extension evolution is mandated upon children. So I can see how these parents would be upset that their view is not represented.

So I offer this compromise. Add a theology class to the public school curriculum. In it they teach the various faiths and just as science class spends on semester teaching biology and the next teaching physics and so on so too will theology class spend a semester on Christianity and the Bible and the next on Islam and the Koran and so on and so forth. This would allow the creationists a place where their hypothesis on the origin of existence is represented and children are given the chance to learn about it, understand it and then choose to accept it or not accept it.

Last edited:
Yes, and I would add to the curricula
training or assistance in conflict resolution.

When parents/teachers/students have some conflict with school policy,
teach and offer assistance with peer counseling, mediation, Teen Courts, etc.

If more people learn how to manage democratic decision making
we won't have all these conflicts unresolved and escalating into legal battles in courts.

We could solve more problems locally, while teaching civic skills and legal literacy.

Yes, and I would add to the curricula
training or assistance in conflict resolution.

When parents/teachers/students have some conflict with school policy,
teach and offer assistance with peer counseling, mediation, Teen Courts, etc.

If more people learn how to manage democratic decision making
we won't have all these conflicts unresolved and escalating into legal battles in courts.

We could solve more problems locally, while teaching civic skills and legal literacy.

Oh most definitely! That was an excellent addition, thank you :)

Well, it depends HOW it's taught.

If it's taught as a legitimate alternative to science then it's simply wrong.
If it's taught as part of an academic study of the belief systems of different religions then that would be reasonable.

I would rather they teach our children how to write. Math would be good.
A child's religion is a matter for the child's parents. Leave it up to the secular school system and before long they will be teaching our children to conform to whatever the system declares is the best of all those religions, or an amalgamate of them all.

Start teaching our kids what the Asians teach theirs, so maybe ours can compete when they graduate.

Leave it up to the secular school system and before long they will be teaching our children to conform to whatever the system declares is the best of all those religions, or an amalgamate of them all.

It's this sort of rigidity that isn't helpful when it comes to resulting a conflict through compromise. Did you know that Asian religions and philosophies amalgamate frequently throughout history? I wish Western faith could be that way too it would help avoid a lot of conflict. And what would be so bad about the exposure of our children to all faiths leading to an amalgamate of all of them? We could take all the elements that are positive and beneficial to society and leave out the harmful aspects and end up with a religious ideology that is all about acceptance of all, community, philanthropy and working to improve the quality of human life.

It's a silly battle. Why should we ban any viewpoint? Theology class is fine. people should learn about various religions. The ignorance about them is astounding.

Sorry. The Establishment Clause prevents teaching Theology in public schools.

Parents should get appropriate books from the public library and teach comparative religions at home.

Regards from Rosie

We are all familiar with the ideological battle being waged today between evolution and creationism in our classrooms. Creationists demand that the origin as told in Genesis should be taught in the science classroom and scientists are demanding that it stay out because it is not science. I can understand and relate with how both sides must feel.

On the one hand, you have scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson saying that they wouldn't like it if scientists started knocking down Sunday school doors telling them what to teach and that's a fair argument.

On the other hand you have creationist feeling like the theory of evolution is being forced on their children because education is mandated for all children under 18 and therefore science class is mandated for all children under 18 and if science class teaches evolution then by extension evolution is mandated upon children. So I can see how these parents would be upset that their view is not represented.

So I offer this compromise. Add a theology class to the public school curriculum. In it they teach the various faiths and just as science class spends on semester teaching biology and the next teaching physics and so on so too will theology class spend a semester on Christianity and the Bible and the next on Islam and the Koran and so on and so forth. This would allow the creationists a place where their hypothesis on the origin of existence is represented and children are given the chance to learn about it, understand it and then choose to accept it or not accept it.

I think this is an example of how our current education system fails its students. We should not be teaching them evolution or creationism. We should be teaching them how to think. Teach them the methods by which science arrives at theories, provide them with the available data and allow them to come to their own conclusions using those methods. Teach them how to support those conclusions, not just accept one theory over another.

Parents should get appropriate books from the public library and teach comparative religions at home.

Regards from Rosie

No. the Establishment bans the Establishment of any Church as the National religion. It doesn't say anything about learning about different religions.

I think this is an example of how our current education system fails its students. We should not be teaching them evolution or creationism. We should be teaching them how to think. Teach them the methods by which science arrives at theories, provide them with the available data and allow them to come to their own conclusions using those methods. Teach them how to support those conclusions, not just accept one theory over another.

Unfortunately, most of our society doesn't know how to think.

You are exactly right. Some sort of critical thinking class or debate class should be included as well. A class that teaches students how to critically examine the world around them and form their own opinion and then how to rationally defend their view and when and if their view is proven irrational in a fair debate, teach them to concede and adapt their view.

Regards from Rosie

No. the Establishment bans the Establishment of any Church as the National religion. It doesn't say anything about learning about different religions.

I do see where Rosie is coming from though. Establishing a government paid class that teaches theology sets a dangerous precedent and puts us in a situation where the line between government and religion gets a little smaller than is comfortable. I'm not saying this is necessarily grounds to dismiss this kind of compromise, but I do accept that great care would have to be taken.

Forum List

Back