Ebert and Siskel

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I liked the show and I likes Ebert and Roper too. I guess it's old news that Gene Siskel died of a brain tumor a couple of years ago and Roger Ebert died of the complications due to thyroid cancer in 2013. They were competing film critics writing for competing newspapers in Chicago and some brilliant producer decided they would be great together on a cable show. They refused at first but the money convinced them to do it and they became friends. I guess I missed it the first time around but I was shocked when I heard of the horrific operation that Roger Ebert agreed to when he was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary gland cancer. Who in the world would agree to having his entire lower jaw removed to extend his life for a year or two or maybe not that long? Who would say yes to never being able to eat again and having to be fed by tube and unable to talk and having to wear a fake lower jaw prosthesis? It's funny how some show biz personalities choose to end their lives with reckless behavior and others with a shotgun or handgun but some people want to hang on even if their lives become grotesque.

Last edited:
I guess it's old news that Gene Siskel died of a brain tumor a couple of years ago Roger Ebert died of the complications due to thyroid cancer in 2013. They were competing film critics writing for competing newspapers in Chicago and some brilliant producer decided they would be great together on a cable show. They refused at first but the money convinced them to do it and they became friends. I guess I missed it the first time around but I was shocked when I heard of the horrific operation that Roger Ebert agreed to when he was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary gland cancer. Who in the world would agree to having his entire lower jaw removed to extend his life for no guaranteed time? Who would

There's a fantastic documentary about Roger Ebert called "Life Itself", which gives good insight into what he was going through. Seeing him after the operation with no lower jaw is heartbreaking.

I guess it's old news that Gene Siskel died of a brain tumor a couple of years ago Roger Ebert died of the complications due to thyroid cancer in 2013. They were competing film critics writing for competing newspapers in Chicago and some brilliant producer decided they would be great together on a cable show. They refused at first but the money convinced them to do it and they became friends. I guess I missed it the first time around but I was shocked when I heard of the horrific operation that Roger Ebert agreed to when he was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary gland cancer. Who in the world would agree to having his entire lower jaw removed to extend his life for no guaranteed time? Who would

There's a fantastic documentary about Roger Ebert called "Life Itself", which gives good insight into what he was going through. Seeing him after the operation with no lower jaw is heartbreaking.
Yes, it was.....a foreboding picture of the golden years...

I liked the show and I likes Ebert and Roper too. I guess it's old news that Gene Siskel died of a brain tumor a couple of years ago and Roger Ebert died of the complications due to thyroid cancer in 2013. They were competing film critics writing for competing newspapers in Chicago and some brilliant producer decided they would be great together on a cable show. They refused at first but the money convinced them to do it and they became friends. I guess I missed it the first time around but I was shocked when I heard of the horrific operation that Roger Ebert agreed to when he was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary gland cancer. Who in the world would agree to having his entire lower jaw removed to extend his life for a year or two or maybe not that long? Who would say yes to never being able to eat again and having to be fed by tube and unable to talk and having to wear a fake lower jaw prosthesis? It's funny how some show biz personalities choose to end their lives with reckless behavior and others with a shotgun or handgun but some people want to hang on even if their lives become grotesque.

Why not read what Roger Ebert himself had to say about it?

Or do you think he should have killed himself?

It is a great documentary- and details Roger's joy- and heartbreak about his deteriorating health.

It is a great documentary- and details Roger's joy- and heartbreak about his deteriorating health.
What did he have to say? Joy? It's certainly a heartbreak but I'm guessing Mr. Ebert had bad medical advice. What in the world could convince you that the removal of your lower jaw was a good idea? If it's about pain the medical profession can deal with it but nobody can help you when you have to put a freaking tube in your stomach every day to get nourishment and you can't talk and your appearance is so grotesque that you have to put a plastic device on your face to appear in public. How long did he last after his operation?

What did he have to say? Joy? It's certainly a heartbreak but I'm guessing Mr. Ebert had bad medical advice. What in the world could convince you that the removal of your lower jaw was a good idea? If it's about pain the medical profession can deal with it but nobody can help you when you have to put a freaking tube in your stomach every day to get nourishment and you can't talk and your appearance is so grotesque that you have to put a plastic device on your face to appear in public. How long did he last after his operation?

Feel free to look it up- rather than just spout your imagination of what it was like for him.

Watch the documentary- or read some of his writings he continued to write up until days before his death- and he did write about his feelings about his medical condition.

He consented to having his lower jaw removed and lived for another 11 years. How many years could he have lived otherwise? I'm sure the documentary would be both kind and respectful to Ebert's condition and I don't mean to insult his legacy or demean his memory. Maybe we should just drop the subject.

Forum List

Back