East Palestine resident pleads for help: 'It's hard to breathe'

Which places did Trump go where he was not needed during his 4 years?

Bush Jr?
Bush Sr?
Reagan?

A bunch of them Im sure. Bush Jr visited Katrina aftermath. What did his presence there accomplish? Nothing? Less than nothing? The infamous mission accomplished flight. etc etc. Every President has done it. Biden isnt unique in that regard.

Trump bad. Trump evil. Same person: Why are you criticizing my guy for doing what Trump did?

It's optics. Not every train derailment is created equally. Biden is obviously not going there. I'm not sure he CAN go there at this point politically. That doesn't mean there isn't an political price to be paid for that decision.

Yes this is more fake than any other outrage we participate in. I promise it is. The entire political landscape is filled with echo chamber induced faux outrage.
The GOP has Faux News to spin it their way so chances are most all their viewers, aka Republicans, will believe not going to the site was the most horrendous thing of the current news cycle, otoh.....

The GOP has Faux News to spin it their way so chances are most all their viewers, aka Republicans, will believe not going to the site was the most horrendous thing of the current news cycle, otoh.....
Just like the DNC. Do you really think the GOP are the only ones who participate in this shit? Really?

Were you asleep the entire last Presidency?

A bunch of them Im sure. Bush Jr visited Katrina aftermath. What did his presence there accomplish? Nothing? Less than nothing? The infamous mission accomplished flight. etc etc. Every President has done it. Biden isnt unique in that regard.
Katrina, how long after? He waited and waited and waited. About 5 weeks, if I recall.

Bush was about appearances, just for show, as well. Therefore that big "Mission Accomplished", when nothing had been accomplished, nor was it going to.

Katrina, how long after? He waited and waited and waited. About 5 weeks, if I recall.

Bush was about appearances, just for show, as well. Therefore that big "Mission Accomplished", when nothing had been accomplished, nor was it going to.
And wasn't he pilloried for that?

Norfolk Southern wanted certain deregulations. They got it. The report will eventually tell if those regulations would have kept this accident and others from happening, or as badly as they happened.

I will wait for the final say by the experts.

I agree with everything you said.

But would you also agree that, to give a hypothetical, if we lowered the speed limit on every road to 15 MPH, we'd have far less traffic fatalities? That was my point....when you ship hazardous materials from point A to point B, at some point in time there will be an accident/incident.

I agree with everything you said.

But would you also agree that, to give a hypothetical, if we lowered the speed limit on every road to 15 MPH, we'd have far less traffic fatalities? That was my point....when you ship hazardous materials from point A to point B, at some point in time there will be an accident/incident.
Yes, there will be, there always will be.

But how many accidents would have really been avoided from the time the rules were deregulated?

The real point is that Norfolk Southern, and others possibly, lobbied to have the rules relaxed so that they could make more profits. Having to spend the money to follow the Obama rules would have cut into their profit.

The MPH example is really not the same.

Yes, there will be, there always will be.

But how many accidents would have really been avoided from the time the rules were deregulated?

The real point is that Norfolk Southern, and others possibly, lobbied to have the rules relaxed so that they could make more profits. Having to spend the money to follow the Obama rules would have cut into their profit.

The MPH example is really not the same.
Agreed...my point was that you could write regulations until you're blue in the face from doing it or have the worst writers cramp ever...and accidents/incidents will still happen.

Agreed...my point was that you could write regulations until you're blue in the face from doing it or have the worst writers cramp ever...and accidents/incidents will still happen.
Correct. Except that the rules are put into effect to lessen the number of accidents.

Deregulating the train laws, and many others, is only contributing to make things worse and the possibility of accidents and any other kind of damages worse.
Be it train derailment, oil spills, etc.

And those companies keep lobbying to do away with those rules because they do not want to spend the money on the safest things, bringing them more profits.

Correct. Except that the rules are put into effect to lessen the number of accidents.

Deregulating the train laws, and many others, is only contributing to make things worse and the possibility of accidents and any other kind of damages worse.
Be it train derailment, oil spills, etc.

And those companies keep lobbying to do away with those rules because they do not want to spend the money on the safest things, bringing them more profits.
Trump hasnt been in office for 2 years. Why didnt Biden reinstate the regulations he got rid of? If what you say is true that the regulations Trump got rid of would have prevented or lessened the impact or severity of this accident why would we blame the guy who hasnt been in charge for half a Presidential term?

Trump hasnt been in office for 2 years. Why didnt Biden reinstate the regulations he got rid of? If what you say is true that the regulations Trump got rid of would have prevented or lessened the impact or severity of this accident why would we blame the guy who hasnt been in charge for half a Presidential term?
Wonderful Republican talking point. So many of you keep bringing this up.
The Biden administration did reinstate some of the regulations, from what I have read.
And now, with this disaster, it is very possible that more will be able to be done.

There are bills, etc. I do not know why the whole thing was not changed, but it is very possible that from now on, with even Republican groups wanting it, things will change for the better, for the safer side for those it affects the most.

In many cases, a president can’t unilaterally undo regulatory or deregulatory actions, but he can direct federal agencies to begin the process. Biden has signed executive orders on climate, racial equity and immigration, which directed various agencies to begin taking steps to undo Trump’s regulatory rollbacks, said Bethany Davis Noll, executive director of the State Energy & Environmental Impact Center at the New York University School of Law.

If the Biden administration chooses to aggressively reinstate regulations, the process, ironically, may have been made easier by Trump and Republicans in Congress, said Davis Noll, who ran a tracker of Trump’s deregulation efforts and will likely track Biden’s regulatory actions.)

Republicans used the Congressional Review Act to undo at least 14 of President Barack Obama’s rules. Before Trump took office, the law had only been used once. Republicans, for example, removed a rule that prevented people with mental health issues from buying guns and a regulation aimed at keeping coal companies from dumping mining waste into streams.

Now Democrats can use the Congressional Review Act to overturn deregulatory rules that Trump pushed through in the last 60 legislative days of the previous Congress.

Spokespeople for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer did not respond to requests for comment about whether Democrats will invoke the Congressional Review Act. Senior aides have said they plan to use the law, according to NBC News.

One thing working in Democrats’ favor: Trump’s agencies oftentimes didn’t include complex legal arguments or robust data analysis to defend their deregulatory actions, so it will be relatively easy for the Biden administration to reinstate Obama’s regulations, Davis Noll said.

“If the Trump-era [deregulatory] rule didn’t have a big record to support it that showed why the rule was a good idea,” Davis Noll said, “then all Biden has to do is adopt a new policy and change course.”

(full article online)

Wonderful Republican talking point. So many of you keep bringing this up.
The Biden administration did reinstate some of the regulations, from what I have read.
And now, with this disaster, it is very possible that more will be able to be done.

There are bills, etc. I do not know why the whole thing was not changed, but it is very possible that from now on, with even Republican groups wanting it, things will change for the better, for the safer side for those it affects the most.
It's not a Republican talking point. It's an honest question. One I see you dont have an answer for.

If it's so important for a President to visit train derailment sites on his watch, why didn't Trump visit any while he was president?

In reality it's the Echo-chamber keeping the Fauxrage alive in Fauxworld.
W Bush didn't have to visit NO after Katrina because there was absolutely nothing he could do there that he couldn't from Washington yet was roundly criticized for not being there almost literally as soon as the clouds went away. It's politics, people expect their president to reassure victims that help is on the way, that somebody in authority cares and will bring assistance. This is such a case. It simply doesn't matter if Quid Pro didn't have to be there, it doesn't matter if train derailments happened in other places at other times, this one was bad, many people are effected, many will lose their homes, jobs and livelihoods because of it, and Quid Pro is wandering around Ukraine, ignoring air raid sirens. To make matters worse for him, his political rival has already shown up on the scene, helping from his personal wealth.

W Bush didn't have to visit NO after Katrina because there was absolutely nothing he could do there that he couldn't from Washington yet was roundly criticized for not being there almost literally as soon as the clouds went away. It's politics, people expect their president to reassure victims that help is on the way, that somebody in authority cares and will bring assistance. This is such a case. It simply doesn't matter if Quid Pro didn't have to be there, it doesn't matter if train derailments happened in other places at other times, this one was bad, many people are effected, many will lose their homes, jobs and livelihoods because of it, and Quid Pro is wandering around Ukraine, ignoring air raid sirens. To make matters worse for him, his political rival has already shown up on the scene, helping from his personal wealth.
I'm still going with it's the Echo-chamber keeping the Fauxrage alive in Fauxworld. Trumps Transportation Sec. never visited a derailment site even when there were fatalities involved.

The real question everyone is ignoring is why Congress or whoever makes the rule on shipping hazardous material, allows Vinyl Chloride to be exempted as a hazardous material.

I'm still going with it's the Echo-chamber keeping the Fauxrage alive in Fauxworld. Trumps Transportation Sec. never visited a derailment site even when there were fatalities involved.

The real question everyone is ignoring is why Congress or whoever makes the rule on shipping hazardous material, allows Vinyl Chloride to be exempted as a hazardous material.
Of course you are. The real question, though, is what to do with all the idiots who are trying to claim that TRUMP! somehow caused the crash. And yes, Vinyl Chloride needs to be dealt with differently than it is, given how poisonous it is for the people in Ohio.

Parenthetically, I don't recall any train derailment that resulted in this amount of ecological and medical distress during TRUMP!'s tenure.

what to do with all the idiots who are trying to claim that TRUMP! somehow caused the crash.

Tamp down their expectations by saying it's a regulation vs. deregulation issue and point out that Biden didn't change the anything back. But from what I've heard it was a maintenance issue with a wheel or an axle? It's just not a perfect world, entropy exists and accidents happen. Maybe make the cars that carry the vinyl chloride a little stronger and make the trains go a little slower around population centers.

Why is it on Joseph Biden (God's choice) to fix this? Why not Mike DeWine? He's the governor of Ohio and this is an Ohio issue. Where are all the cries about "States Rights"? I thought you wingnuts didn't wan the Federal government interfering in state matters?

Where are the Republicans screaming at Norfolk to do something? It's their mess. I thought Republicans wanted the government to stop meddling in the affairs of private corporations?

You all are complete phonies. This is all about hyper-partisan politics for you.
everyone realizes senile JOe is to feeble to do anything except grin like a mad man

Forum List

Back