Driver's Ed

Should high school students have to complete a whole semester of driver's ed to graduate? I say yes...since young people forget the rules of the road real quick nowadays. I have no idea how to make room for it though.
they should have their license long before they graduate,,

According to whom?
Look, I'll let you two defend your turf and the value of every elective subject offered in any high school in the country, but couldn't you two educational geniuses admit, that Drivers Ed is possibly equally or more beneficial to the student and others on the highways, than some, if not many electives, the kids are choosing from, now. Or don't you guy drive or read accident rates for teens, or know any kids that have been injured or killed in cars as new drivers?

No. But I think, Drivers Ed is a very worthwhile subject.
It certainly is.
But Drivers Ed is currently offered through the Private Sector, at least in WA.

Saving the taxpayers $$$$$.
Why pay a full-time teacher a salary?
Or a part-time teacher a stipend?

Nobody is saying Drivers Ed is not needed.
It is.
The Private Sector offers it.

It certainly is.

It is.
I am on the road with many that would not or do not pay to take it, if not required. School curriculums are designed to meet the educational needs of communities and better prepare the students for life, providing necessary knowledge. I was never an elementary or high school teacher, but was skilled as an instructor. I can tell you from experience a regulated course in any subject in task produces better skills in the task on average, due to common task, condition and standards, than what is picked up without properly layed out training. This isn't rocket science.

I am on the road with many that would not or do not pay to take it, if not required. School curriculums are designed to meet the educational needs of communities and better prepare the students for life, providing necessary knowledge. I was never an elementary or high school teacher, but was skilled as an instructor. I can tell you from experience a regulated course in any subject in task produces better skills in the task on average, due to common task, condition and standards, than what is picked up without properly layed out training. This isn't rocket science.
Do you think a 16 year old kid can just walk into the DMV and get their DL without taking the proper course?

It appears that you believe so.

and what do you do if a kid refuses to take the course or fails it??
Do you think a 16 year old kid can just walk into the DMV and get their DL without taking the proper course?

technically they take a test,,

In Tennessee and Kentucky, a 16 year old can in fact pickup a copy of the drivers manual, read it, take the computor or written test, get a learners permit, to learn to drive with a random licensed driver in the car. When they think their skills are sufficient to pass the DMV road test and the parent or guardian sigh off, they can take the road test and get their license or restricted license. These are the only two states I am familiar with. I got mine in Kentucky at about 16 1/2, but did take Drivers Ed in high school, as my father insisted, since passing that course got him a significant break on insurance. Similar to military classes, it included classroom instruction and hands on, under the supervision of a teacher at the school. It was offered to students 16 or older that had achieved their learner's permit.

technically they take a test,,
Only if they are 18+

If under 18, they need to pass a training course.
You can't just walk into a WA DOL at 16 and pass a test.
You need to pass a certified course.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 7.57.16 PM.png

There are millions of adults who need that class right now.
I would support everyone taking the written test every five years. It's gotten beyond insane on the roads.
People don't forget how to drive, me first attitude causes more wrecks.

Ok
Great

Move on.
I did find something interesting in my quick glance at Accident rates and fatalities by states and number of licensed drivers. Your state has about 860,000 more licensed drivers and with the regulations in place there, you guys have the 42nd lowest fatality rate in the country compared to Tennessee which is 9th and Kentucky 10th. So, whatever you are doing in your states is way above average of most of the rest of the country.

Sure, same When I was in HS.
Things change.

Why pay a HS instructor with YOUR tax dollars, when this can be handled by the Private Sector.
Have you seen how young people drive? Tax dollars that will potentially save the life of one of these clueless twits or the unfortunate person(s) they hit is well worth it.

It certainly is.

It is.
The problem is that these crash courses are not working. Just because a student retains enough of the material in this crash course to pass a test does not mean that the student will remember the rules of the road later on...which is the objective.

If a whole semester of Driver's Ed is required...I'm sure the students would be much more likely to recall what has been presented to them.

Forum List

Back