Dogs are descended from two populations of ancient wolves

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
ModernNo dogs are closely related to two populations of ancient wolves, one from Asia and one from Europe, according to a study looking at ancient DNA.

Dogs are thought to be descended from Eurasian grey wolves (Canis lupus lupus), but the story of when and where they were domesticated is still shrouded in mystery.

Anders Bergstrom at the Francis Crick Institute in London and his colleagues analysed the DNA of 72 ancient wolves from skeletal remains that were found in Europe, Siberia and North America, some of which were up to 100,000 years old.

They still don't have anything.

My question is...if wolves howl...why do modern dogs bark?

Do wolves bark?

...do wolves like chocolate...my neighbors dog does.

ModernNo dogs are closely related to two populations of ancient wolves, one from Asia and one from Europe, according to a study looking at ancient DNA.

Dogs are thought to be descended from Eurasian grey wolves (Canis lupus lupus), but the story of when and where they were domesticated is still shrouded in mystery.

Anders Bergstrom at the Francis Crick Institute in London and his colleagues analysed the DNA of 72 ancient wolves from skeletal remains that were found in Europe, Siberia and North America, some of which were up to 100,000 years old.

Lol...................Is this national Dog Day or something?

They do bark. I had to look it up.
Yep,

{Wolves use a wide range of vocalizations to communicate with their companions. This includes action such as growls, whines, yips, whimpers, howls and barks. A wolf’s voice box is not that biologically different from a dog. They can, just like our furry friends, bark. However, this does not mean that they bark often, just that they physically can bark. However, it is relatively rare to hear a wolf bark.}

Part of it is that barking is learned behavior.

When my mom died, I took her 3 year old German Shepherd, who at the time NEVER barked.

But my Greyhound (puppy in my sig pic) is a barker and taught the Shepherd to bark, now both bark at anything or everything.

Yep,

{Wolves use a wide range of vocalizations to communicate with their companions. This includes action such as growls, whines, yips, whimpers, howls and barks. A wolf’s voice box is not that biologically different from a dog. They can, just like our furry friends, bark. However, this does not mean that they bark often, just that they physically can bark. However, it is relatively rare to hear a wolf bark.}

Wolves don't have to use their inside voice?

I wonder how long it took for wolf like dogs to evolve to this.
1656595167844.png

If wolves and dogs are cross bred you get a Hybrid meaning they can't reproduce. So maybe not wolves dogs are descended from but a wolf like creature separated from wolves.

If wolves and dogs are cross bred you get a Hybrid meaning they can't reproduce. So maybe not wolves dogs are descended from but a wolf like creature separated from wolves.
Like an in-between that is no longer present either?

Dmitri Belyaev's work with silver foxes in Siberia shows how the "fear-of-humans" genes are closely related to "mixes-color" and "curly-tails" genes ... this evidence leads one to believe it is the domestication process that changes the species into what we want ... or more likely a case of co-evolution, dogs adapting to humans as humans adapt to dogs ...

Cats are doing a good job taming both humans and dogs into wonderful servants ...

The word "dog" means pointer. It is prehistorically related to the Latin "digitus," which means finger.

Forum List

Back