Dog Found Tied to Railroad Tracks & Shot 3 Times

I can't find the report where I thought they said they had. Also, she is a year old, if I recall correctly. They had papers for her and photos to prove she was theirs. They also were interviewed by the police before they were allowed to see her.
They said she disappeared from their yard 4 months ago. They didn't know if she managed to get out or someone stole her and never found her. She was many miles from their home when she was found on the tracks.
Some of the people on the vet's page are questioning why the owners relinquished her. I am sure she will probably require quite a bit of care in the next few weeks, and if both work, that would be untenable. I imagine it was done for all the right reasons.

What do the owners claim happened?

I wonder if they reported her missing and put up posters and stuff? Do you know how old the dog is?

It's strange that they wouldn't want to take her home and love her, considering what she's been through, and she was less than a year old when she got away? I'm sorry, but some people just shouldn't own pets, IMO. Young dogs have to be watched. You know, some people will just chain their dog outside all day long so that it barks and annoys everyone else in the neighborhood while they're at work all day, no matter the weather, sometimes they don't have enough food or water. :rolleyes-41: People sure are ignorant.

It depends on their circumstance. It can take more love to give up something when you know you can't give it the proper care. We had 4 labs that we finally had to concrete under the fence to keep them in the yard, for the very short time they would go out to play, while we were inside. One time, a neighbor few blocks away caught them and found out we owned them from another neighbor we knew, and called us, fortunately. Someone sees a cute puppy running loose, they could easily decide to take it home and she got loose from there. And for all we know that could have happened here and or some sadistic picked her up.
I can't find the report where I thought they said they had. Also, she is a year old, if I recall correctly. They had papers for her and photos to prove she was theirs. They also were interviewed by the police before they were allowed to see her.
They said she disappeared from their yard 4 months ago. They didn't know if she managed to get out or someone stole her and never found her. She was many miles from their home when she was found on the tracks.
Some of the people on the vet's page are questioning why the owners relinquished her. I am sure she will probably require quite a bit of care in the next few weeks, and if both work, that would be untenable. I imagine it was done for all the right reasons.

I wonder if they reported her missing and put up posters and stuff? Do you know how old the dog is?

It's strange that they wouldn't want to take her home and love her, considering what she's been through, and she was less than a year old when she got away? I'm sorry, but some people just shouldn't own pets, IMO. Young dogs have to be watched. You know, some people will just chain their dog outside all day long so that it barks and annoys everyone else in the neighborhood while they're at work all day, no matter the weather, sometimes they don't have enough food or water. :rolleyes-41: People sure are ignorant.

It depends on their circumstance. It can take more love to give up something when you know you can't give it the proper care. We had 4 labs that we finally had to concrete under the fence to keep them in the yard, for the very short time they would go out to play, while we were inside. One time, a neighbor few blocks away caught them and found out we owned them from another neighbor we knew, and called us, fortunately. Someone sees a cute puppy running loose, they could easily decide to take it home and she got loose from there. And for all we know that could have happened here and or some sadistic picked her up.

Sure, that's a possibility. I'd like to know who did it and why.

There is a $5500 reward out, so hopefully one of the tips coming in will pan out.

There is a $5500 reward out, so hopefully one of the tips coming in will pan out.

The person or people who did this should go to jail, IMO. Instead, they'll probably get off with a slap on the wrist and a fine.

It's a felony in Florida.

The person or people who did this should go to jail, IMO. Instead, they'll probably get off with a slap on the wrist and a fine.

It's a felony in Florida.

Hopefully we get an update on this story. A lot of times these things get forgotten about completely by the time a person is arrested for it, unless your local news stations cover it because it happened locally.

10426312_822608577776550_5663663418231752429_n.jpg

Today's update. She is doing well.

A question posted to their page answered-
Tampa Bay Veterinary Emergency Service

Jill, we have adoption requests from every state, Canada, Mexico, Sweden, Spain, South Africa and Australia to name a few. we have decided to limit applications to the metro Tampa Bay area for simplicities sake.

· Hide · 11 hours ago

TAMPA (FOX 13) -

Police have arrested two juveniles in connection with a dog that was found shot and tied to railroad tracks last week.

Detectives said the dog had been purchased for fighting, and wasn't much of a fighter, so her owners wanted to get rid of her, according to Det. Sgt. Patrick Messmer with the Tampa Police Department.

The 2-year-old female mixed breed was tied to the tracks with a belt at the end of a road in a Sulphur Springs neighborhood.

Police make two arrests in case of dog tied to railroad tracks - FOX 13 News

according to the report more arrests may be made.
I wish they mentioned if she had indeed disappeared, and had been stolen, then sold.
The vet also said they are keeping her heavily sedated so her leg has a chance to heal.

Last edited:
Another report, I am so angry-

Dogfighting Suspected in Case of Florida Dog Tied to Railroad Tracks - NBC News

Police said Wednesday night that Hollinger threw the dog into the woods and fired at her when she wouldn't fight. The dog ran back home, where she sat injured on the front porch, but Hollinger and Callaway tracked her down, took her to the railroad and tied her to the tracks, where Callaway shot her several times, police said.
they are being charged as adults.

They are saying they removed the bandage and she can put a tiny bit of weight on her leg, now.

I am so glad they got these monsters and hope they get the others.

What they did to that poor dog was sickening:cry: & definitely should be charged as adults.

If they like fighting so much, they should put themselves in the ring. cowards

Left to right: Kenny Bell, 21, Natwan Callaway, 17, Darnell Devlin, 18, Bobby Hollinger, 17

Hillsborough County Jail and wfla.com

On Thursday, authorities in Tampa arrested two more men alleged to have owned the dog Cabela prior to her being tied by a belt on the railroad tracks and repeatedly shot because she refused to fight, reports wfla.com.

Tampa Police officers and Hillsborough County Animal Services conducted a search warrant at North 16th Street where Cabela lived before the teens tried to kill her. A search of the premises revealed two more dogs with injuries consistent with dog fighting. Evidence of dog fighting was found in the backyard.

The latest suspects, now bring the total to four men involved in suspected animal cruelty and dog fighting activities. Arrested on Thursday were Darnell Devlin, 18, and Kenny Bell, 21 who admitted owning the other dogs as well as Cabela. The men have been charged with owning dogs for the purpose of fighting. Hillsborough County Animal Services removed both dogs.

2 more arrests!
Additional arrests made in Tampa case of dog shot and tied to railroad tracks - National Pet Rescue Examiner.com

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on this story. I am so glad they caught the monsters that did this. What a nightmare for that poor little doggy. :( Let's hope that she's adopted to a good and loving home. She deserves it.

Forum List

Back